New mix with single mic - vox/guitar

Andresound

This is a quick one mic clip with Accoustic guitar and vocal. Excuse the performance. Looking for critique on sound. Only some reverb added. Recording chain was.. vintage AKG C28b with Tim Campbell capsule (custom CK4 adaptor), Tube mic pre into RME.

Attachments

• georgia acc_C28_CT12_Takamine.mp3
    15.1 MB
Last edited:
I think that sounds very good.

I spent several frustrating hours in the past couple (pandemic-distanced) years experimenting with a single mic and while I found it do-able, to me, it is time consuming (trying to find the best spots for yourself and mic) for no appreciable advantage, IMHO, over simply setting up 2 mics.

Now, if you have it figured out, which it sounds like you might, and you can sit there and do your whole album, then, I'm the last person to knock it!

When you take the time to plan the mic placement and adjust it, the results always seem to really sound 'locked together' somehow.

I really like this and just shows how you just don't need to record a guitar with two mics and then a vocal mic and blend them. One mic removes all the comb filtering, phase errors and fights and really doesn't sound mono once your reverb was added. Love it!

Thanks guys. Have to say.. i really believe this is a testament to the quality of the Tim Campbell capsule and not my recording skill. I have another on order. In this configuration, it is basically a poor mans C12

Attachments

• 9DAC0D1D-9154-4EB9-9193-7C646768757C.jpeg
    9DAC0D1D-9154-4EB9-9193-7C646768757C.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 6
This is a quick one mic clip with Accoustic guitar and vocal. Excuse the performance. Looking for critique on sound. Only some reverb added. Recording chain was.. vintage AKG C28b with Tim Campbell capsule (custom CK4 adaptor), Tube mic pre into RME.
I think it sounds really good - a great balance between the voice and the guitar - one thing (and it''s a small thing) is the mid bass on both vocals and guitar is a little bit subdued - not enough to make me reject the recording - but enough to note it - you could probably adjust the position of the microphone to get it up in the mix.

Curious as to why you replaced the capsule - the original is really good.

I think it sounds really good - a great balance between the voice and the guitar - one thing (and it''s a small thing) is the mid bass on both vocals and guitar is a little bit subdued - not enough to make me reject the recording - but enough to note it - you could probably adjust the position of the microphone to get it up in the mix.

Curious as to why you replaced the capsule - the original is really good.
Still have the original capsule. The small condenser CK28 capsule is killer for Accoustic guitar, but a bit “mid forward“ for Vocal. This circuit is identical to a vintage C12 (T14/1 transformer/7062 tube etc), and therefore having a brass capsule from Tim Cambell made sense to try. I was shocked at the sound of this mic. I did NOT spend time finding the ideal placement etc…, and just put it at arms length and hit record to see what it translated like.

Back