New Members: Introduce Yourself Here!

Hi Dave, thanks for the welcome. Yeah I'm on a Mac so Logic seemed to be the logical choice. The keyboard was bought because I got a good deal on it, no other reason. I have no idea about audio interfaces I'm afraid. I'm not even sure I understand why I need one, lol. I also have the Lite version of Ableton Live but I haven't really attempted to use it as yet.

I'm not so much able to make original music but I'm fascinated by the process of laying down tracks & mixing everything together. I'm a Shpongle fan so maybe that explains it, lol.

Gordon.

Ok, listening to a bit of Spongle now....No, thank G but I think I shall stick to Radio 3 and the odd bi of heavy rock!

You don't NEED an audio interface but one would Be A Very Good Idea!
If you plug that kbd into the mac USB port and load up Logic, don a pair of headhones then, with a bit of messing about which could take 5 minutes or 5 hours, you should get to the point where hitting a key gets you a piano note (or a synth, or a snare...whatever). However, two things will probably strike you.

First of all the quality of the sound, especially "clean" stuff like piano might not be first class.
Secondly you might find there is a lag or delay from when you hit the key to when you hear the sound. This delay is called "Latency" and is caused by the poor quality of the internal sound card in the computer which costs about $2.00.....Mind you! Maybe macs have blindingly fast soundcards in them and are of mastering audio quality? I would not know but somehow doubt it.

Dave.

I hear you, Shpongle is an acquired taste. I'm not using the onboard sound card though as my signal is fed straight from the Mac via USB to an Objective DAC. From there the sound goes to my O2 headphone amplifier and on to my Marantz PM6004 stereo amp. I can see how latency could be an issue though, particularly when playing 'live', as it were.

Gordon.

I hear you, Shpongle is an acquired taste. I'm not using the onboard sound card though as my signal is fed straight from the Mac via USB to an Objective DAC. From there the sound goes to my O2 headphone amplifier and on to my Marantz PM6004 stereo amp. I can see how latency could be an issue though, particularly when playing 'live', as it were.

Gordon.

Right! Well that DAC is about the price of a decent AI such as the UR22 and so should be comparable in sound quality I would say.

Latency is not just a problem when playing live (not that I do it anymore!) although musicians do cope with delay, think church organist? The biggest problem that my son had was "playing in" additional parts whilst listening to previously done tracks.

You could well be ok tho'. A DAC is doing the "half" of the conversion that an AI would do. It is only recording that will stump you but maybe you are not ready for a mic and geetar just yet?

Dave.

New to the forum? Say hello, tell us a little about your self. Meet the gang :p

Welcome to HomeRecording Forum! :guitar:

I am old school and have been out of it since 2002 but after a run in with an old friend in the biz (not to mention some pleading from family members) I have started playing and recording music again. No more reel to reels....no more mic in the shower or Marshall in the basement either. It has all changed. So armed with a cheep condenser mic and a few SM-57s along with an assortment of old guitars and a Yamaha CP-70 that needs sold/traded for something usable, here I go into the digital abyss that I know nothing about.

But, I think it is a good thing. But change is tough at my age, it is a challenge learning Cubase and tracking one track at a time. I remember analog when you had to cram as much as you could into one track and mixdown was always a compromise you learned to deal with like a lost dog from years ago you wish you had back.

All my grandchildren are musical a few have perfect pitch. Maybe this is a chance to leave something of myself with them when I go. One is already teaching me stuff. He is my midi professor. Teach your parents well I suppose.

Nice to meet you all.

i have the same mic and the same problem. i use and audiobox usb 2x2. the only thing i found that makes this problem better is if the channel vlm on which the mic is on is very low .other than that i think they are just bad mics

Hey guys! My name is Joel. I'm a graduated viola major from a performing arts high school and now I am getting my gen eds in college and considering recording as a possible degree path. Right now, however, the only recording I do is in my home for my YouTube channel (I sing covers of songs). Only problem is that I can't seem to figure out how to make the equipment I have sound good or what other equipment I need. So could anybody help me out before I go posting a whole other separate thread? Thanks!

Hello everyone, my name is Shawn (disconnected) if you wish. I have a question, I'm new at this so please hath patience. I have a fire studio project interface. I have used it in the past successfully but not connected to anything except monitors. I have some other units I've just purchased and I don't understand how to put them all together. I have
Firestudio
TC voiceworks
Alesis processor
DBX 266xs Compressor Professional Stereo/Dual Mono Compressor

Can someone point me to a diagram or maybe if possible an easy way to connect them all together? I assume it will all start with the fire studio and go out to other components. I know this is so newby type question but I would love to get this stuff down and understand how to connect it all up with each other.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Hi Shawn and welcome to the fold.

The Firestudio Project is well served with inputs and outputs and the other devices are essentially "outboard processors", you don't really need them at the moment so my advice would be to hook up the AI to a computer for nowand get really into its operation together with some DAW recording software (if you don't have any yet, download Reaper).

Once you are a bit slick with the Firestudio start thinking about a patchbay.

Dave.

Hello, members of the homerecording forum.

I don't really have much experience with mixing or mastering tracks. I'm actually just a vocalist who can't currently afford to hire someone to help with his mixes just yet. I'm trying to put together something where it's just me singing (instead of me singing over someone else) and I'm really struggling with it. According to.. Pretty much everyone who's heard me singing in person it sounds perfect, if not better than the original, yet when they hear the recording (Which they heard me singing) they cringe almost as hard as I do XD.

I'm thinking of posting the recording in the newbies forum and asking for advice on what I'm doing wrong with the mix. Hopefully someone in the know will tell me what's up.

Kimino

Hello, My name is M. Manousis and i work for a company that manufactures musical instruments.
We are working on something new so we need a potentionmeter for passive guitar pickups. I am looking for a particular one on which is written M500K on the one side and N500K on the other side. I also have pictures. Can anyone help?DSCN0902.JPGDSCN0903.JPG

hey people Hilton is in the house all the way from South Africa.recording artist.tryin to run a home studio<sound hire small events

Hey all, I'm Paul. I'm a music student in the UK. I'm a bass player but I've developed a passion for electronic and hip-hop music over the last year or so which really got me into production.

Hi. I am fongsong71. Steve for short. Im doing this backwards. I misposted my question. Hello.I am very new to home recording with a humble studio consisting of a Casio wk6500 workstation, a Zoom H4n, a Zoom R8 multitrack recorder, and a ZMX52 5 channel mixer with aux inputs and outputs with red/white rca jacks. Thanks for your patience! I'm looking forward to learning and contributing to this forum. Thanks again!!! :)

Hey all! I'm Basti...newly embarked on a Music Tech degree course (really, really awesome btw), currently spec'ing out a DAW PC build and trying to learn everything about everything to do with music, audio, recording and electronics.

Also I like Tech Death.

Cheers!

What is Tech Death? Sounds like a cool way to say 'my death metal has more fake digital sounds than your death metal'. lol

To each there own. If it moves you then enjoy. :)

Welcome to the forum Basti95.

Back