New instructional series - would love some opinions

famous beagle

Hey guys,

I've started doing a "Lick of the Week" series on YouTube, and seeing as this is my first time doing this type of thing, I would love some opinions from other players as to what is good, bad, etc. (I know the focus is soft on the beginning of #2!).

I plan on getting better with the video quality as I learn more and get some better equipment, etc., but I'm open to comments on that as well.

Any comments are welcome. Thanks in advance!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mejgFlZndbg&list=PLJxjjtdC6gro7rkaq7W55i2U_VZkHInhD

Ok, so country isn't my thing but I've seen shit like that done far, far worse. You break the lick down well to explain the different bits, as people normally work their way through videos from beginning to end it would be worth playing it slow then at tempo at the end again after you've explained how to do it.

Also, while I wouldn't know a famous country lick from Gregorian chant you might get more interest if you did well known licks or solos.

This is a solo I've been working on just coz my playing is getting a bit stale and I want a few new ideas.
Rabea Massaad Guitar Solo - Full Lesson - Musicisum - YouTube
Now it's not your thing, but check out the way he breaks it down. You're already making a good job of it but this might give you some style pointers.

Nice beard.

Thanks much for the pointers! Rabea's video is definitely very good quality for sure!

I've always found it overkill when instructors list fret numbers and string numbers for almost every note, but I guess if someone doesn't know the notes on the neck, then this is what they want? I sometimes forget that many players don't know the neck I guess.

Yeah, I wouldn't know the neck in notes at a glance aside from the bottom a and e strings cos that's where the power chords line up. Given more than half a seconds thought I could work my note out but you couldn't point to a random fret on the, say the g string and have me tell you what it was immediately and I don't think I'm in the minority.

You can assume some knowledge though I suppose, I know my scale shapes and how they all fit together on the neck for different keys and modes, now if you asked me to list the notes in each one I couldn't do it for many of them without stopping and thinking. That's just me though, Rabeas style seems to suit me, maybe it's not for everyone. I met Rabea at a gig once. Nice bloke. Very big

Personally, the content is not bad but the volume differences of your speaking voice and your playing are a little off. This is more in reference to the second vid of yours, not so much the first (the one you linked to in the OP). Frankly, I liked the first and have been working it out over the last few hours. That chicken pickin' has always intrigued me but has always been the last thing on my mind when it comes to practicing. That and the hybrid picking...

By the way, I bought that book you wrote that you linked to in that discussion a few months back about scales and theory. It came in last week but school started up, too, so I haven't really had a chance to dive into it yet. Skimming through it, it looks like it will be a good step in the right direction for where I'm at.

Last edited:
Personally, the content is not bad but the volume differences of your speaking voice and your playing are a little off. This is more in reference to the second vid of yours, not so much the first (the one you linked to in the OP). Frankly, I liked the first and have been working it out over the last few hours. That chicken pickin' has always intrigued me but has always been the last thing on my mind when it comes to practicing. That and the hybrid picking...

By the way, I bought that book you wrote that you linked to in that discussion a few months back about scales and theory. It came in last week but school started up, too, so I haven't really had a chance to dive into it yet. Skimming through it, it looks like it will be a good step in the right direction for where I'm at.

Hey, thanks very much for the input! Yes I know what you mean about the level difference there. I'm definitely going to work on that for sure in the future videos.

Yes that country stuff is a lot of fun to play. I'll be posting licks from several different styles in this Lick of the Week series, but country ones will certainly make plenty of appearances, just because they're so cool on guitar.

I hope you enjoy the Scales Over Chords book, and thanks for the support! :)

I noticed the loudness of the guitar as well. Just checking, but are your video titles all they can be? Do those titles stick out to ppl so they are intrigued to click your videos instead of for someone else? I'm not saying they're not, I don't search for instructional videos, so just mentioning your vid titles are def important and you'll want to make sure they are something unique to your brand, easily identifiable, and clear in their content. nice job on them

I noticed the loudness of the guitar as well. Just checking, but are your video titles all they can be? Do those titles stick out to ppl so they are intrigued to click your videos instead of for someone else? I'm not saying they're not, I don't search for instructional videos, so just mentioning your vid titles are def important and you'll want to make sure they are something unique to your brand, easily identifiable, and clear in their content. nice job on them

Thanks for the thoughts on this. I'm thinking about video titles as well and will probably do some experimenting with different things to see what the results are. I was hoping that name-dropping some "in-the-style-of" famous players would help attract people, and I don't know if it has or not. But that's definitely a good point and something on my radar for sure! :)

Beagle, another one to look up is 30 shredders in one solo by Ben Higgins. It's all done in the style of the player not emulating riffs. Obviously you wouldn't want something that long but it's an excellent instructional video.

Beagle, another one to look up is 30 shredders in one solo by Ben Higgins. It's all done in the style of the player not emulating riffs. Obviously you wouldn't want something that long but it's an excellent instructional video.

Thanks, I'll check it out!

Back