New Honey Hunters - Palimpsest

Armistice

Son of Yoda
One of those pretentious words I've seen for years but didn't really know the meaning of, until I looked it up. Seemed like a good metaphor for a song, seeing it was only ever used metaphorically by those wielding it... :-)

To save you the trouble, it's from ye olden times when things were tough, a piece of parchment that has had the original writing removed via some process or other and is ready for reuse. Parchment was expensive, back in the day. Before they'd invented recycling bins.

So, thus, a song of redemption, renewal, reconstruction etc. You can paste your own meaning on top of it.:unsure:

It's longer than I normally do, but you need to get to the end to get the full experience. It builds and you need to go with it. So if you don't have 7 minutes at your disposal, perhaps file for later. :giggle:

This is the latest mix - mix 5 - or the 3rd version that's appeared here...

View attachment 131778

Last edited:
A thought: the big drum hits behind the quiet singer distract a bit, but they're fine during the chorus.

Nice tune.

I've looked up 'palimpsest' before (and forgotten the meaning). Words that don't get used or heard fall off the edge of my mind pretty easily. 8-)

Thanks @dobro - yeah the tom hits were annoying people over at the other place so I've toned them down a bit in the new mix. I've done some de-booming and various other nips and tucks.

I'm sure I'd looked it up before, because I always look up words I don't know the meanings of, but like you, it didn't stick. Got it this time, though...

Thanks for the listen. 8-)(y)

REMOVED - put the latest mix in the original post.

Also, I just discovered how to work the player thingy... hope for me yet.

Last edited:
So, thus, a song of redemption, renewal, reconstruction etc. You can paste your own meaning on top of it.:unsure:

It's longer than I normally do, but you need to get to the end to get the full experience. It builds and you need to go with it. So if you don't have 7 minutes at your disposal, perhaps file for later. :giggle:
The song is good - needs to be mixed different I think - too much separation between the various parts and the singing - and you should probably triple track the guitar
parts to give them more Heft - and while the bass is audible it doesn't carry anything - time to double track it and compress it.

The song is good - needs to be mixed different I think - too much separation between the various parts and the singing - and you should probably triple track the guitar
parts to give them more Heft - and while the bass is audible it doesn't carry anything - time to double track it and compress it.
Thanks for listening. I'm not sure heft is what I'm after with the guitars, being a pair of Telecasters. I agree the bass needs something, however. Cheers.

Thanks for listening. I'm not sure heft is what I'm after with the guitars, being a pair of Telecasters. I agree the bass needs something, however. Cheers.
Well to me they need to more body - but I could see you making an artistic choice.

Low end sounds great. Drums and bass sound great.

Nice wide mix. Almost too wide.

The guitars sound good. But there is a little bite in them. Maybe notch it out around 2400hz. That almost always works for electric guitars.

The vocal is also a little hot in the mid 2Ks. The vocal can get a little tough to hear in spots - when the rest of the mix is particularly busy. Maybe pull the guitars down just a bit in those sections - let the vocals come through.

Real nice reverb on everything.

The mix has kind of a smiley face profile overall to me. It's a bit crispy but also boomy and then pokey in some of the upper mids. The vocals are pretty midrangey too and could use some taming. But as a mix, It's possible to make it work. I did a test for fun to bring suggestions into focus. I felt that taming both the low and high end helped focus the mix better. And this was version 1 of the mix that I played with ... just realized haha. But ... kind of interesting? Mix 2 is getting pretty close though I think.

Attachments

• New honey hunters_tester.mp3
    15.9 MB
I agree with the above about the crispiness. I am on OK computers speakers. Bass is heavy, but the speakers I am using for listening to are not very large. So, maybe take a look at the bass. I would pull down the 4Kish (guessing) or at least revisit it.

Overall mix seems like everything has its place, vocals are very forward, but in a good way for the mix. Nice recording, everything is really solid.

Well to me they need to more body - but I could see you making an artistic choice.
I've given the guitars a bit of a rough up via a preamp plug which might make them have a bit more heft... and various other adjustments mentioned by others. Thanks for listening, new mix up top if you want to hear it again. (y)

Low end sounds great. Drums and bass sound great.

Nice wide mix. Almost too wide.

The guitars sound good. But there is a little bite in them. Maybe notch it out around 2400hz. That almost always works for electric guitars.

The vocal is also a little hot in the mid 2Ks. The vocal can get a little tough to hear in spots - when the rest of the mix is particularly busy. Maybe pull the guitars down just a bit in those sections - let the vocals come through.

Real nice reverb on everything.
Hey Trip! Haven't seen you over at the other place for a while... :) Done some work along the lines of your comments and reposted in the original thread if you feel up for checking whether it's an improvement. Thanks for the listen. (y)

The mix has kind of a smiley face profile overall to me. It's a bit crispy but also boomy and then pokey in some of the upper mids. The vocals are pretty midrangey too and could use some taming. But as a mix, It's possible to make it work. I did a test for fun to bring suggestions into focus. I felt that taming both the low and high end helped focus the mix better. And this was version 1 of the mix that I played with ... just realized haha. But ... kind of interesting? Mix 2 is getting pretty close though I think.
Thanks for listening - I've hopefully addressed some of your concerns in the new mix up in the original post. I've removed all the old mixes to avoid confusing people... (y)

I agree with the above about the crispiness. I am on OK computers speakers. Bass is heavy, but the speakers I am using for listening to are not very large. So, maybe take a look at the bass. I would pull down the 4Kish (guessing) or at least revisit it.

Overall mix seems like everything has its place, vocals are very forward, but in a good way for the mix. Nice recording, everything is really solid.
Hi DM - long time, etc.. :giggle:

Thanks for listening - I've hopefully addressed your concerns via a new mix in the original post. Cheers...

On my speakers and to my ears, the mix is very good. I couldn't make any additional suggestions.

Thanks for listening - I've hopefully addressed some of your concerns in the new mix up in the original post. I've removed all the old mixes to avoid confusing people... (y)
np - and well done! I think mix 5 is getting close. The doubled backing vocals in the chorus could maybe come down to feel more like an effect rather than a whole extra singer. Aside from that, I'm still hearing a big build up at 100-150hz, and 1-3k. I've called mixes less done than this *done* so it's nitpicks now to help it sound like a good mix on everything (not just hifi nearfields or studio headphones).

Attached a version that I stuck into my mastering chain. It didn't need a lot, but I think the little it does need is potentially the amount needed to go from final mix to done and pressed. imho

Attachments

• New honey hunters mix5 Tweaks.mp3
    15.9 MB
Guitars, IMO, are fixed. No bite - they sound great.

I'm now thinking the low end is a bit too strong. I'd cut the kick somewhere in the 60hz-100hz range. I think the bass is cool where it is.

I still think the lead vocal has a bit too much bite. Backing vocals sound great.

It's just getting too slow on the other board.

Guitars, IMO, are fixed. No bite - they sound great.

I'm now thinking the low end is a bit too strong. I'd cut the kick somewhere in the 60hz-100hz range. I think the bass is cool where it is.

I still think the lead vocal has a bit too much bite. Backing vocals sound great.

It's just getting too slow on the other board.
it seems to be a matter of balancing the vocals out with the guitars. both can't live in 2khz land, but both currently do. Cutting a chunk of 2k in the vocals and perhaps boosting 5k for clarity might be the path to keep things separated ...?

it seems to be a matter of balancing the vocals out with the guitars. both can't live in 2khz land, but both currently do. Cutting a chunk of 2k in the vocals and perhaps boosting 5k for clarity might be the path to keep things separated ...?
It's definitely worth a try.

Taking the bite out of the vocal is going to make it tougher to hear. Fixing it might be as simple as just raising its overall level. Or, like you suggest, a 5K boost might be a good move.

It's definitely worth a try.

Taking the bite out of the vocal is going to make it tougher to hear. Fixing it might be as simple as just raising its overall level. Or, like you suggest, a 5K boost might be a good move.
Maybe "taking a chunk out" of 2k is the wrong phrase ... A dynamic EQ cut at 2k could potentially smooth out the vocals at the right times while retaining clarity and some bite.

I've been subtly trying the various things suggested above - I'm just not putting another mix up - you all have to be a bit sick of it by now. :)

Back