New Home Studio

18ewho

Hello , im a new member of this forum and I just wanted to ask for a few suggestions...
I'm 18 and currently working a part time job but want to start compiling what I need for a small home studio. I have to buy a car so I don't have much to work with, most likely under 2,500. I plan on on buying...
Im a logic user so a most likely a second hand MacBook Pro 16gb ram 2015
Two Yamaha hs8 monitors
Scarlett 18i8 interface
Some midi controller(possibly A used akai mpk 61 for $350)

Any suggestions ?

Hello , im a new member of this forum and I just wanted to ask for a few suggestions...
I'm 18 and currently working a part time job but want to start compiling what I need for a small home studio. I have to buy a car so I don't have much to work with, most likely under 2,500. I plan on on buying...
Im a logic user so a most likely a second hand MacBook Pro 16gb ram 2015
Two Yamaha hs8 monitors
Scarlett 18i8 interface
Some midi controller(possibly A used akai mpk 61 for $350)

Any suggestions ?

Define 'small'? Then, room, room, oh! And.. room. How do you intend to record, mix and monitor? All in the same room? Can you have an acoustically isolated recording space and a control room?

What sort of music will you record? You mention a MIDI controller but will there be acoustic instruments? A big guitar/bass rig? Do you need to control sound egress and ingress and if so how?

These things will define what you can do and how well you can do it far more than say which mic you use. The biggest factor is musicianship. G.I.G.O.

Dave.

You are going to use up almost all your budget on that computer. An iMac is going to be a slightly cheaper way to get to 16GB plus you can get one with a 27" screen and still be less than a 15" MBP. They are stunningly expensive anymore. I don't quite see enough left for everything on your list, and you don't mention mics, stands or cables. Do you have them already?

The 18i8 is a good box - kind of a successor to my Saffire Pro 26 (18+8), but do you really need 4 inputs? (I do, but only rarely, and then I usually need more!). And Hs8s assume a pretty big room. I use Hs5s and think they are actually Ok in my little room. Just trying to think of ways to economize, because if you're going Mac, you probably don't want to cut corners there, since you'll want that puppy to last a long time. (2010 MacBook Pro, 2011 Mini here).

Plus all of [MENTION=89697]ecc83[/MENTION]'s questions...

Back