New Drum Micing Technique?

thecongo

Hey There,
Our record producer recently suggested a new type of drum micing setup that he said Led Zep used for a couple of tracks, and I want someones opinion on it. He said put an AKG D112 right in the front of the kick, then a 57 on the top of the snare pointing away from the hi-hat, then a single AKG C1000s about 3 feet above in the exact center of the kit. He said that it sometimes sounds better than using a matched stereo pair. Anyways, I'd appreciate someone's opinion, and this would work great for me, because I'm always running low on cash. Thanks!

Yes, this will work perfectly.
Aim tha mic straight down at the top of your head, because it will pick up what you hear, just like you hear it.

All you'll need to do is to roll out the mid's a little (say, around 800- 1khz. as the center frequency on a sweepable midrange.)

Tim

The advantage to a single overhead is a lack of phase anamolies. I used to use a single omni directly above the drummer's head pointed at the center of the kit to record drums on my 4-track cassette. Sometimes if I needed a stronger kick I would mic that too from inside close to the batter head. Sometimes I still use that trick for "punch".

Yeah, this seems like the perfect mic setup for my studio (little vintage yamaha mixer, and an adat) Anyways, i really want the punchy non-produced drum sound, much like the drums on the primus brown album, which in my opinion are the best ever recorded. anyways, thanks for the suggestions.

Back