New direction for next release - Simple instrument and vocal songs

Same link, updated mix, Dave. By "rumbling" do you mean there's too much lows on the lower strings?

I am not experienced enough to say with more accuracy, but it has a rumbling frequency that takes away from the guitar. I hear it when you are hitting one of those strings. It is not a low rumble, but more of a frequency or harmonic disturbance. Which is pretty common in an acoustic with steel strings.

However, if no one else hears it, then I am just full of $&it.

I am not experienced enough to say with more accuracy, but it has a rumbling frequency that takes away from the guitar. I hear it when you are hitting one of those strings. It is not a low rumble, but more of a frequency or harmonic disturbance. Which is pretty common in an acoustic with steel strings.

However, if no one else hears it, then I am just full of $&it.

Okay ... I now understand. I wasn't sure if you were talking about buzzing strings or something along those lines. The way to isolate offending frequencies like that is to take a narrow band of eq, spike it at +12db and search the lower frequencies for the "nasty sounding" one, then cut it back at that notch.

Okay ... I now understand. I wasn't sure if you were talking about buzzing strings or something along those lines. The way to isolate offending frequencies like that is to take a narrow band of eq, spike it at +12db and search the lower frequencies for the "nasty sounding" one, then cut it back at that notch.

Yea, I know how to do it, didn't know how to describe it. :eek:

I really like the song. Great vocal and guitar performance. As far as the mix...
Great vocal sound. The guitar sounds good but not quite as good as the vocal. It's a little boxy sounding. I'm nit picking here though it's not bad at all but not really stellar either.
Good job K-DUB.
Agreed here - the guitar has a bunch of overtones that are reverberating more than they need to. The guitar sounds good I would avoid some of that. Vocal is nice and rich - nice sounding voice and the mic captures it well.

Agreed here - the guitar has a bunch of overtones that are reverberating more than they need to. The guitar sounds good I would avoid some of that. Vocal is nice and rich - nice sounding voice and the mic captures it well.

I seem to have gotten up an hour earlier than normal today, so I can carve some studio time to attend to it. Thanks bud! :)

There's definitely a low (maybe G?) note that has a resonance - might be the guitar itself.
If the reverb sound is just ITB, then change it, it still sounds like its in a boxy room. Maybe its how you recorded it? How did you mic?
Agreed that the vocal needs to be put back just a little. Good sounding song, overall.

There's definitely a low (maybe G?) note that has a resonance - might be the guitar itself.
If the reverb sound is just ITB, then change it, it still sounds like its in a boxy room. Maybe its how you recorded it? How did you mic?
Agreed that the vocal needs to be put back just a little. Good sounding song, overall.

AT4050 about 16" away, pointed generally at the neck joint. You were right. The reverb I was using was a little boxy, and I pulled it back more. I also pulled back some of the reverb on the lead vocal, and I eq'd as best I could, the resonance out ... and pulled the acoustic more towards center ...

New mix is up top and here ... and thanks to all for the thoughts. It's very hard to get things to sound balanced when there are only two things going.

The offending string seems to have been removed, but not the high end seems to be a little brittle. You hear it the most at the start when it is solo. Maybe just some cut at the top may give it the lush acoustic sound it should be having.

The offending string seems to have been removed, but not the high end seems to be a little brittle. You hear it the most at the start when it is solo. Maybe just some cut at the top may give it the lush acoustic sound it should be having.

+1 - Check out the Copperline video on You tube from James Taylor. I know you're not using a dynamic or piano but the mix of instrument to vocals is what I would look at. I have no idea how to do it lol but this was a cool example.

+1 - Check out the Copperline video on You tube from James Taylor. I know you're not using a dynamic or piano but the mix of instrument to vocals is what I would look at. I have no idea how to do it lol but this was a cool example.
Great suggestion. I will do. I've a feeling I'm going to have to redo the guitar to get a better core sound.

Thanks David. I did boost the highs to give a better frequency balance, but I'm becoming convinced I need to redo the guitar.

AT4050 about 16" away, pointed generally at the neck joint. You were right. The reverb I was using was a little boxy, and I pulled it back more. I also pulled back some of the reverb on the lead vocal, and I eq'd as best I could, the resonance out ... and pulled the acoustic more towards center ...

New mix is up top and here ... and thanks to all for the thoughts. It's very hard to get things to sound balanced when there are only two things going.

Nope, the guitar sounds horrible now. Harsh/brittle top end.

Nope, the guitar sounds horrible now. Harsh/brittle top end.

I was in full agreement ... so I walked away ... and just came back to it and spent some quality time with a multi-band compressor. I've got the low end solved ... and I took a lot off the high end. Did I take ENOUGH off? I'm thinking I MAY be still a little on the brittle side.

The difference, btw ... is that I tried to EQ the frequencies before, versus just isolating the frequencies and hitting them w/ a compressor. Big difference.

Thanks for all/any comments.

Last edited:
Back