New computer for recording?

lttoler

Last night my computer, which is a Dell E531 died on me after more than 5 years. I used this computer only for recording so I am in a bind right now. A good friend is works with computers and can put one together if I tell him what parts I would prefer for a recording computer.

Can anyone tell me what parts I should get such as memory, hard drive, etc, to make a decent recording computer? I'm assuming I can get a low price video card since video is not important for this machine and I use my interface as my sound card. I would like to keep the cost around or below $500.

Thanks very much in advance!

And the case can be pretty cheap as well.

I would get at least a top-of-the-line Core Duo processor. You can probably manage to get an i3 processor, though.

Really, the things to spend the most money on are the processor, the hard-drive, and the RAM (4 GB should be sufficient).

If your friend can manage to get an i3 computer under $500, kudos to him. If not, you'll have to settle for Core Duo

I should REALLY have asked this first. How old is the software you're using? If it's the same software you were using, anything your friend makes should smoke your old machine.

From what I see, the Dell used a Sempron 1.8 Ghz processor. Any dual core Core 2 Duo processor will run circles around that machine.

Back