New, Cheap Isolation Tracking Headphones

Cool. I'd be willing to bet that he'll have a tough time breaking them. On the other hand, 5 year olds are particularly ingenious when presented with a challenge. The ear pads will be the first to go, I bet, then the 1/8" to 1/" adaptor.

P.S.:

Your order went out Priority Mail this morning.

Harvey Gerst said:
Cool. I'd be willing to bet that he'll have a tough time breaking them. On the other hand, 5 year olds are particularly ingenious when presented with a challenge. The ear pads will be the first to go, I bet, then the 1/8" to 1/" adaptor.

P.S.:

Your order went out Priority Mail this morning.

Thanks Harvey,
I will pick up a few more later on.

Malcolm

Harvey Gerst said:
I'm pleased that everybody seems to comfirm the fact that these are a good value, but I'm really looking forward to when people actually start "using" them with good results (or even better, when people start "abusing" them, and still get good results).

will do, but that takes time.
I find that I can't judge anything as "good" until
a few sessions, which means a few weeks.
Usually I can judge the "bad" stuff in a single
session or so.

harvey,

i'll try to make sure to do some tracking while absolutely sloshed and destructive soon and see how they hold up. my guess is that they will hold up fine-they look like slightly evolved 70's phones to me, which bodes well for longevity.

zer0sig said:
harvey,

i'll try to make sure to do some tracking while absolutely sloshed and destructive soon and see how they hold up. my guess is that they will hold up fine-they look like slightly evolved 70's phones to me, which bodes well for longevity.
We do mostly metal and punk bands here - I doubt if you'll get close to the abuse we have heaped upon our headphones every day.

You hafta understand the problem we were having that steered me towards the MoreMe headphones:

We have two studios, 3 engineers, and we're open 7 days a week, from around 9 or 10 in the morning to 3 or 4 in the morning. We have 3 complete sets of drums, 7 snares, a ton of amps and cabinets, and a wide selection of musical instruments.

When you have this many groups passing thru, shit happens; strings break, drum sticks break, drum heads break, cords break, and headphones break.

So, we keep on hand a large supply of strings (a couple of dozen complete sets of strings, and a couple of hundred single strings - all gauges - for electric, nylon, and steel string guitars, and even banjo, ukelele, and mandolin strings), around 4 dozen drum sticks, maybe 100 drum heads, and 20 or so guitar cords. We probably have a larger selection than most mom and pop music stores.

Why so much? Because when a group is paying for a recording and it's 10pm on Sunday night and something breaks, you don't wanna stop if everyone's hot and the session is going good.

My problem stems from having just spending a few hundred dollars on high quality headphones, only to see a lot of them in pieces the next day. That's when I went from "good" to my search for "good enough" - and the results are the MoreMe headphones.

Thank you Harvey - I just placed an order. You oughta start selling mics and mixers and stuff. I'd wager most people here wouldn't have a problem paying a few bucks more than MF prices to do business with you. I know I wouldn't. It's always worth it to do business with someone you "know".

Thanks again.

lou

Harvey Gerst said:
For anybody that missed it, here's the link to the MoreMe headphone's page:

http://www.ITRstudio.com/moreme.html

Thanks to everybody for your support.

Thanks Harvey

I ordered Monday
2 days later they were waiting on me.

Just in time too, The first real tracking session for our next project starts today. If only I could get my headphone amp as quick as the More Mes.

Malcolm

Sky Blue Lou said:
Thank you Harvey - I just placed an order. You oughta start selling mics and mixers and stuff. I'd wager most people here wouldn't have a problem paying a few bucks more than MF prices to do business with you. I know I wouldn't. It's always worth it to do business with someone you "know".

Thanks again.

lou
Thanks, but I think I'll pass on the rest of that stuff. I've been in manufacturing and sales a good part of my life, and it's hard getting any new products off the ground.

I'll leave the new mics to Wayne at MXL, Alan, Stephen, and Brent at SP, Larry and JP at ADK, and Taylor at the Sound Room. These are the guys that are making real strides by producing new designs in affordable mics.

Got 'em today. That's damn good service Harvey.

BTW - I wasn't suggesting anything other than being an online retailer for the kind of shit we need. With your rep it would be like printing money. :D

lou

Heck, I figure for 25 bucks I'd give these mugs a try. I've been using a Sony that's pretty decent. Those cost me 30 at best buy. I'm curious to hear the difference.

I also have a 2 year old that has managed to destroy a portion of my DVD collection and a dvd player. I'll let him loose on these too.

Got the new headphones yesterday, just like Harvey said.

haven't had too much time to listen, but sounds great so far.

Con: the cord sure is friggin short. Gotta stand over my mixer to listen.

Anyway, thanks Harvey. The response to my email was prompt.

KevinTran said:
Got the new headphones yesterday, just like Harvey said.

haven't had too much time to listen, but sounds great so far.

Con: the cord sure is friggin short. Gotta stand over my mixer to listen.

Anyway, thanks Harvey. The response to my email was prompt.

Yep !!!

Harvey warned us about the cord before hand.

I just pulled out a old Headphone extension.

Malcolm

Yeah, we keep about 10 or so of those Radio Shack 20 foot headphone extension cords on hand. At $8 each, they're way too expensive. I'm looking for a cheaper alternative - desperately. They should only cost $4 or $5 at most!!

I could use some of those ext-cord's for my cans... when are you going to have them for sell? Thanks

Bump... :D

Me Too!

I need 2-4 more myself! But $8 ea is a bit much for what you get!
If You Find Them ... We Will Buy!

bump

Yeah Harvey,

I have the Y Radio Shack extension, but now I need about 4 straight throughs. Not at 8 bucks a piece thought, but if you cant come up with anything within the next week or so, I will be force to go the Shack route.

Harvey, fins yourself I good young apprentice and teach him how to make cables using your skills. Im sure you dont have enough time to do it.

Thanks

Malcolm

Re: bump

malcolm123 said:
Yeah Harvey,

I have the Y Radio Shack extension, but now I need about 4 straight throughs. Not at 8 bucks a piece thought, but if you cant come up with anything within the next week or so, I will be force to go the Shack route.

Harvey, find yourself a good young apprentice and teach him how to make cables using your skills. Im sure you don't have enough time to do it.

Thanks

Malcolm

Unfortunately, that's not very cost effective. By the time you add in the cost of the wire, the plugs, the hand soldering, and some kind of strain relief, the price goes thru the roof, even in quantity.

The trick is gonna be finding a company that already makes cheapy cables, and buying in enough quantity to get a decent discount (which means a sizable cash outlay by me, since I'd better be talking about buying hundreds of cables per order to get a decent discount).

$8 is about as low as I've seen for a straight (not coiled) 20 to 25 foot stereo headphone cable, and the price quickly goes up from there, to $20 and $40 for the name brand cables (Hosa, Grado, Monster, Cable Up, Labtron, Maxell, etc.). It's insane.

Right now, I have a lead on two possible distributors that import inexpensive headphone extension cables. I'll let you know more as soon as I hear anything.

See, this is the problem that many small manufacturers and sellers face each day. For those of you who've never dealt with these problems, lemme explain further. Take the MoreMe headphones, for example. So far, I've sold about 100 sets. That brought in some profit, which I used to buy more of the headphones.

So right now, I have a living room full of unsold cases of headphones, waiting for more orders. Eventually, they'll all get sold, but until then, any profit I make is tied up in those phones. Any profits I DO get in will be used to buy inexpensive headphone extension cables (IF I can find some cheap enough to sell).

I'm also storing a lot of shipping boxes, sealing tape, printing an instruction sheet (paper and ink cartridge costs), and the time, gas, and shipping expenses to get stuff to the nearest post office, about a 15 mile round trip. I also ship without waiting for checks to clear, or paypal transfers, so most of the time, the operating money is coming out of my pocket directly.

It's all a gamble. It's exactly the same gamble Alan Hyatt takes, except for the scale. The difference is that his gamble is far bigger. And he needs to set up a dealer structure to make it work. I can't have dealers - I hafta sell these direct to make a profit, until I can buy these phones direct from the manufacturer in huge quantities (at least 500 to 1,000 sets at a time).

I bought several hundred sets of headphones. Only time will tell if they all get sold, or I wind up with a lifetime supply of headphones for the studio.

Back