New at all this

slinkymassive

I am sure you are all tired of helping to people who have no idea of what they are talking about. Please, however be gentle.

Right, I have been recording my guitar & voice through my basic computer mic for the last few years. I have writen and recorded many songs using Mixcraft, which are of very basic standard. I am really looking now to improve on this by buying a soundcard and new mic.

After reading the home-recording site I am up to speed on what I need to buy. However I am not looking to spend silly amounts of money on this equipment. The sound card that home recording recommend are quite pricey, are there any sound cards that do the same job for less price? Also i would like to find a better mic.

With a soundcard and mic am I set for recording?

Could anyone give me a list of things I need, I am looking to spend about £250. I will get the cakewalk software, by other means.

Thanks for reading this

you need a interface to mate with the computer. I sugest the digigram VX pocket 2 or VX Pocket 440. or maudio firepod. you also need a decent soundcard. I STRONGLY suggest the ESI Juli@ which is about 120 american dollars. 250 is a small budget for halfway decent gear.....BUT I would suggest getting the ESI Juli@ and a decent pair of mics...then getting the interface for the pc later.
MXL 1006 mics are AMAZING for the price..

here is a sample using them.
Looking for a good cheap mic? Give these a try.
« on: February 16, 2004, 07:40:05 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.mxlmics.com/condencer_mic/MXL1006/mxl1006.htm

made in the same factory and virtually the same as ADK-51s (not the TLs the cards). One advantage is they each can use a 9v to power them, great sound for a great price,TWOof these and the dual XLR to minijack cable will set you back about $225.(american)(so get one of them and the esi juli@, my suggestion)

teddy
slinkymassive said:
I am sure you are all tired of helping to people who have no idea of what they are talking about. Please, however be gentle.

Right, I have been recording my guitar & voice through my basic computer mic for the last few years. I have writen and recorded many songs using Mixcraft, which are of very basic standard. I am really looking now to improve on this by buying a soundcard and new mic.

After reading the home-recording site I am up to speed on what I need to buy. However I am not looking to spend silly amounts of money on this equipment. The sound card that home recording recommend are quite pricey, are there any sound cards that do the same job for less price? Also i would like to find a better mic.

With a soundcard and mic am I set for recording?

Could anyone give me a list of things I need, I am looking to spend about £250. I will get the cakewalk software, by other means.

Thanks for reading this

I give a very strong recommendation for the Tascan us122 (US$199). A fantastic sounding box that blows away the competing mAudio stuff for features, sound quality and durability. This will get you two channels of computer interface via USB along with two channels of pretty darn good quality mic preamps w/phantom power that are also individually switchable to line and/or instrument inputs. The Tascam also comes with the CubaseLE multitrack software, which will cover your needs inside the computer completly and with quality at no extra cost.

I'm not sure of the current conversion rate between USD and the pound, but the remaining money in the budget should be enough for a combo cheap Chinese condensor from Studio Projects or MXL and an SM57. Or if you already have the 57, move up a notch in condensor quality (g.g. move from the SP B1 to the C1.)

G.

Back