New around here, wondering if there's a suitable place for a DAW survey for university research?

Shull14

Hey all,

Just came across this site while looking for places to get opinions on DAWs for a university research project, but there's some great stuff here so I imagine I'll be dropping by for more than just this.

That being said, I didn't want to just throw some link where it's not meant to be, so thought it'd be a worth asking here if there's anywhere suitable for me to leave a link to the survey? If not though, not a problem (y)

Thanks in advance

I suspect here is as good a placer as any - most people read the forum by clicking new posts so not many people just look at sections.

From -previous surveys, they range from good and interesting - ones that generate useful and accurate data to those that really would be a bit rubbish at GCSE level. One thing always pops up. The surveys that are designed to prove the writer's already formed opinion. We're pretty good at surveys and questionnaires. As long as they ask sensible questions. Many don't!

DAWs is almost guaranteed to generate almost as many different opinions as there are DAWs. What kind of opinions do you want? Seems an odd thing for uni research - not er, very educationally exciting or easy to process. So post away - just make it a good one. If it's a rubbish questionnaire, we'll have a laugh and sigh at the standard of current university work - or we'll get excited and want to read the results. Which no uni student has ever done - returned to the forum later to explain the results.

We were given a choice of a few different things to research, so yeah a little unusual, but I mainly went for this one because compared to the other options it was easier to do remotely without going onsite, which is still mostly impossible due to Covid unfortunately.

It's more specifically to do with GUI design, so the survey's just a quick thing to get some general data on why people use certain DAWs over others, which I can then relate to the importance in GUI design if, for example, a number of beginner-level users chose one over another for its user friendliness. So I'm afraid it's relatively basic as there's other research going on outside of this survey, but I just need to get some backing data to talk about really, as I need at least some primary data.

Thanks for clearing this up though, I'll leave the link below for anyone with a spare couple of minutes.

You're right, it's basic, but you've done the most important thing and that's allow people the opportunity to say that user friendliness is not important to them.
The most frustrating, and academically useless, thing I see in surveys is a string of questions which assume I have some foundation belief or opinion.

We've had about a million fly-by sign ups from some online college lately so if we're about to get a million fly-by surveys I'd be in favour of not allowing them, myself.
Then again new members are new members...I suppose there'd have to be a discussion about it.

It would be nice if some of the drive-bys would come back more than once. I'm interested in what they are teaching at the LAFS, not that I'm going to go to school. Unfortunately, we've asked the question a few times, but the folks never come back to answer.

BTW, I took the survey. At some point, hopefully the OP will give us some results when this project is over.

I'm afraid it will be pointless. When I was a college lecturer, examiner and all that educational stuff - you learn quite a bit about questionnaire writing, and how the collected data can be used. At university, and I did hint this to him, it was usual for questionnaires to collect primary, and even secondary evidence had to be properly constructed. This one is absolutely useless at anything than collecting people's gut reactions. He says it's about GUI design, but did anyone spot any questions relating to this? Rich mentions he did it. So based on posts here, his responses, whatever they were, would be based on his skills, experience, history and being a decent fella. However, a 14 yr old with a cracked copy of Cubase from 2005 could also take the same set of questions and his responses could be the opposite of Rich's cancelling them out. None of the questions asked about the people giving the answers, a fatal flaw. All he has are a load of answers and no way to quantify them and draw any sensible conclusions. I'm getting on - but university research work always used to require a supervisor who looked at the plan, picked endless holes in it, to make certain the data was conclusive. What he asked is chat, gut reactions and totally and utterly useless as serious academic research. All the people with real world experience would spot the pointless questions. My first GUI was an Atari 520 in black and white back in the 90s. GUIs were not even a word then, but the idea of a mouse moving things on screen was a brilliant new thing for me - and Cubase still even has a family resemblance to that first bump into the world of computer music - sadly, I don't think he even knows any of the history, older than him.

Back