New Acoutsic Mix. Listen up!

I did two different Re-Masters.
One is with yet another reduce in limitation. (This is the one I like best so far)
And the other version is with no Vintage Warmer Plug-in or the L2 limiter.
Have another listen.
Thanks everyone.

1. Reduced Limit

2. No Limit

GOODLAND said:
One is with yet another reduce in limitation.

It's the compression that is killing the dynamics. I like the last one the best - but it sounds like you compressed pretty heavily at the track level. Getting better though. This song is dying to BREATHE! :)

I bet that will do the trick and after doing that you may want to give the Vintage Warmer Plug-in a try but lets hear it clean first.

GOODLAND said:
I think I am fairly happy with that last version.
What else would you suggest?

i was referring to the previous two clips in that comment.

in the last clip, i'm not hearing any squash but it still seems like there is some fairly heavy compression going on. some of that could be the drums. there's not much going on with the drums dynamic wise. the main acoustic guitar also sounds a bit crunchy. that could be eq or compression or both. also, it would liven things up some if the bass had some hi's/mid's, it sounds like it has a low pass on it.

these are some things i would look into changing. if you're happy with what you have, leave it alone. if you're not sure, leave it like it is and don't listen to it for maybe a week. it really blows me away when i do this..........damn what was i thinking? why did i eq this like that or pan this, blah, blah. it's like your ears get all wrapped up in the wrong things. time off kind of pulls your head out of it and gives you a fresh perspective. if you leave it alone for awhile, do a quick mix with no eq, compression, effects. etc. and save it for comparing with your more processed mixes when you come back to it.

good luck man.

TravisinFlorida said:
i was referring to the previous two clips in that comment.

in the last clip, i'm not hearing any squash but it still seems like there is some fairly heavy compression going on. some of that could be the drums. there's not much going on with the drums dynamic wise. the main acoustic guitar also sounds a bit crunchy. that could be eq or compression or both. also, it would liven things up some if the bass had some hi's/mid's, it sounds like it has a low pass on it.

these are some things i would look into changing. if you're happy with what you have, leave it alone. if you're not sure, leave it like it is and don't listen to it for maybe a week. it really blows me away when i do this..........damn what was i thinking? why did i eq this like that or pan this, blah, blah. it's like your ears get all wrapped up in the wrong things. time off kind of pulls your head out of it and gives you a fresh perspective. if you leave it alone for awhile, do a quick mix with no eq, compression, effects. etc. and save it for comparing with your more processed mixes when you come back to it.

good luck man.

Thanks for the reply.
There is no comp on the acoustic guitars at all. The drums only have a comp
on the snare. Other than the snare there is no compression going on. I only
have the Vintage Warmer on the Master and that's it for limiting/compression.
The Vintage Warmer is not on too heavy either, it is on a very light limiting setting.
It does really help to walk away from the mix for a few days and then come back to it
but I am pretty happy with the sound. I'm sort of going for that Zakk Wylde
acoustic album sound.
Anyway, thanks for all the comments and helping me to realize the error of my
ways. :rolleyes:

That last mix definitely sounds much improved in terms of loudness. I don't hear an awful lot of dynamics but it's far more listenable nonetheless.

As far as mixing, to my ears the vocals could be more upfront, at least in comparison to the acoustic. Listen to a song like "New Deep" from John Mayer and you might be able to hear the contrast. I'd lower the overall mix volume by whatever amount you increase the vocals, should you decide to do so that is.

Other than the above though, I think it sounds pretty good.

Thanks again for the great responses.
I agree with your vocal suggestion and will modify the song accordingly.

warble said:
Overcompressed IMO - sucked the dynamic range out of it.

Not sure what Gorty meant about adding more compression to the mix - not sure I agree with that.

I edited my post, I actually meant to say "a little less compression".....My mistake! :o

Before I forget, one thing that helps to keep my ears fresh while mixing is to always switch back and forth between a reference CD and my mix. If I sense my hearing is becoming too conditioned after awhile, I'll take a break and listen strictly to reference material for a bit, just to realign my sense of mixing.

J.C. Scott said:
Before I forget, one thing that helps to keep my ears fresh while mixing is to always switch back and forth between a reference CD and my mix. If I sense my hearing is becoming too conditioned after awhile, I'll take a break and listen strictly to reference material for a bit, just to realign my sense of mixing.

sounds like a good idea. i'll have to try that one. i need all the help i can get when it comes to mixing. :D

I'm not hearing anything different with the last mix, still on the loud side. If you took all the compression off and it's not making a difference that tells me you don't need it to begin with but it is still compressed somewhere. Was it compressed/limited while tracking?

"Other than the snare there is no compression going on. I only have the Vintage Warmer on the Master and that's it for limiting/compression."

What's it sound like without it? Are you using the plugin for sound enhancement or just to make the mix louder?

NYMorningstar said:
I'm not hearing anything different with the last mix, still on the loud side. If you took all the compression off and it's not making a difference that tells me you don't need it to begin with but it is still compressed somewhere. Was it compressed/limited while tracking?

"Other than the snare there is no compression going on. I only have the Vintage Warmer on the Master and that's it for limiting/compression."

What's it sound like without it? Are you using the plugin for sound enhancement or just to make the mix louder?

Only the vocals were compressed during tracking which is what I always do
and there is no problem there. Acoustic guitars and drums (accept the snare) were tracking with NO
compression at all. The vintage warmer is being used mostly for effect, but it
is doing a slight amount of limiting. I already posted a link to the song with
no Vintage Warmer on a earlier post.

Well, I've listened to every version you've posted up and this final, is a bit better. There's still not alot of dynamic content here, but it may be that the tune was just not written with dynamics as an element.

From an mix standpoint, I'd look at adding a bit at around 2-4k to bring alittle life back into that snare. The rest of the kit sounds pretty good, cymbals dissappear occasionally tho. Nice presence on the kick and toms....suits the piece well.

Vocals seem a bit boxy in the 500hz region. Maybe a dip there will help them breath a little better...might even combine that with a little lift at 8k or so, but hard to tell without hearing the vocal track alone. The doubled vox on the chorus seems a bit heavy.

Guits are nice a crisp...could've gotten away from you, but you did a nice job of balancing them. Very percussive with suprising depth. Good job.

Nice laid back feel that gets a little diluted by the strong levels. :cool:

TeyshaBlue said:
Well, I've listened to every version you've posted up and this final, is a bit better. There's still not alot of dynamic content here, but it may be that the tune was just not written with dynamics as an element.

From an mix standpoint, I'd look at adding a bit at around 2-4k to bring alittle life back into that snare. The rest of the kit sounds pretty good, cymbals dissappear occasionally tho. Nice presence on the kick and toms....suits the piece well.

Vocals seem a bit boxy in the 500hz region. Maybe a dip there will help them breath a little better...might even combine that with a little lift at 8k or so, but hard to tell without hearing the vocal track alone. The doubled vox on the chorus seems a bit heavy.

Guits are nice a crisp...could've gotten away from you, but you did a nice job of balancing them. Very percussive with suprising depth. Good job.

Nice laid back feel that gets a little diluted by the strong levels. :cool:

Thanks, that was a great breakdown of the mix. I'd have to say I like the guitars how they are. I agree with you on the snare 2-4Khz and the vocals at
the 500Hz.

Back