New Acoutsic Mix. Listen up!

GOODLAND

New Acoutsic Mix.

I just finished this mix with a friend yesterday. I did Bass, Drums and Guitar. I didn't have anything to do with the lyrics, I just want to know what you think of the overall mix.

Listen HERE

Last edited:
J.C. Scott said:
Can I ask what you were trying to accomplish by making the track so loud?

The track seems to be at the standard level. I don't see the problem here.
I would prefer people to leave intelligent comments, thanks.

fraserhutch said:
Actually, it was an intelligent comment.

Well, he didn't say if he liked it or not and he didn't give me any helpful information on how to improve anything.
I would appreciate it if people would explain what they are thinking about the mix and the music.
So far I have just been getting sarcastic remarks and it isn't much help.
Sorry if I am coming across as rude but I usually get helpful responses out of
this forum and there are some really knowledgeably people who usually have some good tips.
So lets give this another try.

GOODLAND said:
I just finished this mix with a friend yesterday. I did Bass, Drums and Guitar. I didn't have anything to do with the lyrics, I just want to know what you think of the overall mix.

Listen HERE

Hey GOODLAND,

The overall mix is very bright and crisp. The guitars have been captured very nicely, very pristine. I like to hear the guitar as crisp and as clear as that.
The drums seem a little flat, maybe a boost of 1-2 db's in the mids for the snare just to add a little more life to the drums.
The vocals are a little (nasally) that's not really the word I am grasping for, however at the 1:27 mark I really like the vocal panning that you did there.

Overall you have achieved a fine, very nice mix in my opinion. Maybe a little less compression or a multi-band eq applied to the whole mix just to smooth it all over would be nice.

Good work GOODLAND.

Gorty :)

Last edited:
I can understand how you may have misinterpreted my question as being sarcastic, but it wasn't meant that way. I asked because I don't hear much dynamic range in the mix at all, not to mention I experience major listening fatigue after about 30 seconds. When checking your mix in Samplitude the peakmeter stays lit fairly consistently. I'd definitely recommend lowering the levels so they stay under 0dB.

As a matter of background, you may or may not have noticed that a vast number of commercially released CD's have become progressively louder over the years. This is mainly due to record companies believing louder is better. However, it's become quite controversial in the pro audio community, namely because engineers can make a recording only so loud. There's a limit after all; go beyond that and you introduce into distortion. Here's an excellent article (w/ graphics) that chronicles the issue.

Last edited:
Gorty covered it pretty well.
It is rather loud though. & the L hand crash seems to decay strangely as a result.
Gorty - nasal was good adnoidal is probably closer though. I don't mind the adnoidal sound personally.

I agree with the posts above. I was going to comment last night but I ended up turning it off before I finished because of listening fatigue. It's a bit too loud and has very little dynamics going on. The song is a little too tense, like yourself, and needs to relax a bit, give it a pill. Beneath all that, it sounds like a nice flowing happy song. Like it or not? Maybe :rolleyes: :D

i have to agree with everyone else. there's no dynamic range. everything sounds compressed to hell and back to me. i'm pretty bad at using compression myself and this sounds like something that i had my hands on. :D also, the bass is'nt very defined. i hear it back there but it's way back there.

Overcompressed IMO - sucked the dynamic range out of it.

I do like the mix though, I'd just like to hear it not so compressed. Not sure what Gorty meant about adding more compression to the mix - not sure I agree with that. I'm not a big compression guy, so maybe I'm too careful with it when recording. :)

Right, that's what we're talking about. But, I guess that's not helpful.

I made it about 15 seconds. That loud, it's ruined for me.

Alright, I know what you guys mean. After mixing for a while it's hard to know
what your mix really sounds like, if you know what I mean. This was my first
time using the Vintage Warmer Plug-in and I do agree that I totally over did it. I
will ease back on the Limiting and see what you guys think.
Stick Around.

GOODLAND said:
Alright, I know what you guys mean. After mixing for a while it's hard to know
what your mix really sounds like, if you know what I mean. This was my first
time using the Vintage Warmer Plug-in and I do agree that I totally over did it. I
will ease back on the Limiting and see what you guys think.
Stick Around.

I really like that plug-in. Maybe you need to step away from the mix for a day or so, and re-visit it? Always helps me.

Acoustic Song Round #2

I eased back on the limiting and gave the song some more dynamic range. This
should be a little more pleasant to listen to now.
There is a little Acoustic solo at the end that is pretty fun.
Give it a listen.
Thanks.

Acoustic #2

got a clip with "no" limiting? i'd like to hear it for comaparison. the last clip still has no dynamic range. everything is really loud, all the time. being an acoustic piece, it does'nt seem right that way. no what i mean?

NYMorningstar said:
It's much better and a step in the right direction. Did you normalize the guitar track? It still lacks dynamics.

I compared it to John Mayer. Mayer is louder, but still has 4-5X the dynamics.

Back