Neumann TLM 103 Yes/No?

bubbagump said:
Then you want to get multiple good mics. No one mic will sound the best on everyone. You can get a good general pupose mic like the AT4050, but again, it will sound good on some, great on others. If you want great on everything, you need to build a stable of mics. Mics are like colors and asking which mic is best is like asking which color is best. Black strawberries and oranges are bad. Black Porches are cool. Dig? I could name 25 quality vocal mics without breaking a sweat in about 45 seconds. I could name another 50 or so given a few minutes to think.

Then, if you are simply doing voice over work and are not concerned about how the vocals sit in a mix... maybe an SM7 would work as a good general purpose mic.

I do agree with you, but for now I'm just looking for 1 mic.
And when more $ comes in, I will look at another.

The situation I've used the TLM103 is as a stereo pair for orchestral type recordings in a small concert hall (use to be a chapel). I think they sound very nice. The AKGC414 is also a great mic that pretty much any studio I've come across has. (at least two)

With another 10 minutes to think... what is your planned client base? Sometimes it is worth getting a piece of gear that has name recognition, performance be damned, as dopes will pay big bucks to record on a real Neumann even though they may sound better on an SM57. Throw a rock at me, but if this is a biz for you and you want to feed yourself, those sort of things are worth considering.

Unless you in a very isolated area with no other recording studios or pro audio dealers it would seem you would want to do some comparison testing for yourself before dropping $1500 on a mic.

But if $1500 is your budget, you can do a lot better than a TLM 103. I own one, and I got it for $600, which I think is about what it is worth. No way would I pay $900 for one.

The AT4060 is a much better all round vocal mic, but I can understand if you need something that looks sexier for your clients. I would recommend the cardioid-only version of the Lawson L47, which I think is just in your price range. 24 carat gold can be very sexy. I've got the L47mp (multi-pattern) and it sounds great and also attracts a crowd.

bubbagump said:
With another 10 minutes to think... what is your planned client base? Sometimes it is worth getting a piece of gear that has name recognition, performance be damned, as dopes will pay big bucks to record on a real Neumann even though they may sound better on an SM57. Throw a rock at me, but if this is a biz for you and you want to feed yourself, those sort of things are worth considering.

It's almost worth buying the Nueman just to get this look on their faces :eek: :eek:
I hate to disappoint, but I may go with the Neuman. As said earlier, one mic will
not do the job, I am going to need a good collection of different mics. Let the
Neuman Lead the way in my new mic collection. :D

littledog said:
Unless you in a very isolated area with no other recording studios or pro audio dealers it would seem you would want to do some comparison testing for yourself before dropping $1500 on a mic.

But if $1500 is your budget, you can do a lot better than a TLM 103. I own one, and I got it for $600, which I think is about what it is worth. No way would I pay $900 for one.

The AT4060 is a much better all round vocal mic, but I can understand if you need something that looks sexier for your clients. I would recommend the cardioid-only version of the Lawson L47, which I think is just in your price range. 24 carat gold can be very sexy. I've got the L47mp (multi-pattern) and it sounds great and also attracts a crowd.

I was planning on only spending around $600 - $700 on the Neuman not $900.
I'll give the other mics a look as well.
Thanks.

GOODLAND said:
I was planning on only spending around $600 - $700 on the Neuman not $900.
I'll give the other mics a look as well.
Thanks.

The cheapest retailers I know of have it for
between $900 and $1000.
Are you buying used?

Brackish said:
The cheapest retailers I know of have it for
between $900 and $1000.
Are you buying used?

B-Stock off Ebay.
These are previously returned mics that were barely used, if used at all.

I know many guys around here bag on the TLM-103.But honestly if you can't get a good sound out of that mic then you you might want to invest in a pair of EARS.

I have had great luck with mine with Female vox and electric guitars...bright and forward but not harsh. I a/b'ed next o similar priced ATs and found the 103 much more natural. Just my .02

DonGraham said:
I know many guys around here bag on the TLM-103.But honestly if you can't get a good sound out of that mic then you you might want to invest in a pair of EARS.

I have had great luck with mine with Female vox and electric guitars...bright and forward but not harsh. I a/b'ed next o similar priced ATs and found the 103 much more natural. Just my .02

That's exactly why everyone needs to listen and judge for themselves. In the end, all evaluations come down to our own opinions.

DonGraham said:

That is a silly thing to say. No one said it is a crap mic. It's not worth the price, IMHO.

I can get a good sound with an SM57. I would not compare it to any of those listed above though.

Sheesh.

Last edited:
Back