Neumann for vocals

Mikeeley, I am not sure you are with the program. A Manley voxbox is a one channel channel strip. $3600 at Mercenary Audio. I'm sure an At4060 would sound fine through it, but what the hell? If you are prepared to buy that kind of a preamp, I think the Lawson L47 or a Soundelux U99 or a Brauner Valvet voice or a Neumann U47 would be an appropriate choice. You say you don't have much of a budget? We are talking about $3600 preamp and mics ranging from $1000 to $4500 here. That's a wicked one channel front end, but your responses make it clear that you most likely do not have the resources to pay for it, the knowledge base to use it, or a room worthy of it. So what's your real budget?-Richie

Oh my oh my... love at first sight!

me + ATC-2 4ever!

I don't even care how it sounds, it's soooo good looking! It's first on my "to buy" list.

I bet it does sound good too! + it's almost affordable! I finally found my dual mic pre! (avalon looks good too but is a little too pricey)

Richard, you got any other good looking gear suggestions for me? Anything! I have nothing right now and I'll be buying all the gear for my recording studio in 3 - 4 months. If it's not rackable, don't even bother! =) I'm gonna invite girls in the studio and I want them to be jealous of my rack!

Shakuan said:
Oh my oh my... love at first sight!

me + ATC-2 4ever!

I don't even care how it sounds, it's soooo good looking! It's first on my "to buy" list.

I bet it does sound good too! + it's almost affordable! I finally found my dual mic pre!

The preamp is mid-level at a stretch, similar in quality to say a Focusrite Platinum series.
The compressor is quite acceptable.
But the big plus is the EQ. It is quite exquisite! Lovely sounding EQ.

So basically it really is a pitty that the preamp isn't up to scratch.

Mikeely, I use the Sonitus compressor that comes with Sonar 3, and the Timeworks compressor that comes with Sonar 2. They're both direct X plugins, but there may be VST versions, too.

Oh, and I've used the Blueline free compressor in the past. It definitely thrashes the sound, but sometimes in a pleasant way. Not bad for free plug ins!

The pre on the Toft is superior to the Platinum series IMHO.

The Joe Meek V2 was the high end "tube" mic pre they produced previously.
Suggested to Alan they bring that one back with the current improvements
of their present line a while back BTW.

Chris

Markd102 said:
The preamp is mid-level at a stretch, similar in quality to say a Focusrite Platinum series.
The compressor is quite acceptable.
But the big plus is the EQ. It is quite exquisite! Lovely sounding EQ.

So basically it really is a pitty that the preamp isn't up to scratch.

Still better than RNP+RNC right?

Oh and I'll prolly be recording with a Delta1010 (since it fits well in a rack ;) ) so I guess it would be kinda useless to get a better unit than the ATC-2... ?

Shakuan said:
Still better than RNP+RNC right?

Not in my opinion. I would class the RNP above Focusrite Platinum. And the quality of the RNC is well documented.

Oh and I'll prolly be recording with a Delta1010 (since it fits well in a rack ;) ) so I guess it would be kinda useless to get a better unit than the ATC-2... ?

No, never think like that. Your "front end" is more important than the quality of your sound card.
A quality mic and pre through an avarage card will always give you a better result than an avarage mic and pre through a high-end card.

The Voicemaster Pro, which is part of the focusrite platinum series, has a substantially better sound than the RNP for vocals. I use both and they both have their place on instruments, but for vocals, I would choose the VMPro everytime.

I tried them both out, and others when I was looking for a new pre-amp. I really didn't think the VMpro was much different to my Mindprint Envoice. And I ranked the RNP slightly ahead. Then I got a killer deal on a Buzz Audio so there was no contest in the end LOL.
But the thing is, it's all very subjective. If I had your voice and your mic and your room, I might have come to the same conclusion as you.

A room and monitors cannot mask transient response and slew rate. Maybe frequency and tone. The RNP does not have the detail of the VMPro.

Lance135 said:
Mikeely, I use the Sonitus compressor that comes with Sonar 3, and the Timeworks compressor that comes with Sonar 2. They're both direct X plugins, but there may be VST versions, too.

Oh, and I've used the Blueline free compressor in the past. It definitely thrashes the sound, but sometimes in a pleasant way. Not bad for free plug ins!

Whats the sonitus like? Tis good? Ta

Wow ok you guys aren't helping me making a choice there! =)
I'm gonna have to keep looking for other pres. I'll start my own thread tho.

grimy paco said:
RODE NTK I got to agree on that one.
I use it and it is amazing.I hook it up along side with a Joe Meek tube pre amp and other times with my DBX 376. If you like warm milk chocolate vocals then try it.
Warm Milk Chocolate is not the phrase I would use to describe the NTK. More like bright and spitty.

Still undecided on the Sonitus plugins in general. They're definitely feature rich, and high quality. I'm going to reserve judgment on their actually sound until I have a really great microphone to test them out.

What's cool is the Sonitus compressor has a "vintage" mode that allows the transients to come through with much less of a squashed sound (this is much different than the attack time control). It also has a built in limiter, so you can really squish stuff to your heart's content and use lots of make up gain. Oh, and it has a variable knee control, as well. What more could you ask for in features? A side chain function (how would that work in a plug in)?

I really like the Timeworks compressor. It's simple, but I find it easy to get the compression transparent sounding.

Middleman said:
The Voicemaster Pro, which is part of the focusrite platinum series, has a substantially better sound than the RNP for vocals. I use both and they both have their place on instruments, but for vocals, I would choose the VMPro everytime.

Yeah, I have two Avalons, 1 GR, 1 Joe Meek (Ted Fletcher one), a DMP3, 1 RNP and a VM Pro.

I keep going to the VM Pro alot more than any of these.

Does'nt make it better, just better in my studio to me.

BTW, the pre-amps on my Allen&Heath GL2200 (32 channel) sound exactly like the DMP3. Maybe they use the same silicon.

Interesting insight on the GR vs VMPro. I recently did a shoot out with both of these and the DMP3. I used a Neumann TLM103, NTK and V67G.

My findings:
NTK into the GR provided the most detail and smooth, almost limited quality
NTK into the VMPro was just slightly less detailed but when externally limited, can provide just as good a result with a slightly edgier sound. I think the VMPro pushed the vocal out in front a little better when you need to get over the top of the music.

There was not more than a 10% difference in the two with smoothness falling to the GR. I will buy one just for slow, ballad sounding vocals.

The DMP3 provided a less pleasing but accurate result. The transient response and slew are just not there but hey, for $189 it produces great guitar reproduction.

My post was inaccurate in that I've only tried the PRE VMpro platinum pre.

Sorry for any confusion, surely the new ones are better than the old ones.
(like budget "old" Meek vs. new Meek's)

Chris

Back