Neumann for vocals

The Grace 101 is a good preamp, but I would probably go with the BLUE Kiwi if you can afford it. I have fallen in love with this mic recently for vocals. Of course at the studio I work at we also run it through a Manley Vox Box, which could definitely have an improvement on the sound.

The TLM103 needs a warm preamp or you get a very sterile sound. The Grace 101 better matches with a tube mic. Putting the Grace and the 103 together would be very cold sounding unless you have a thick sounding voice.

I would opt for a Nevish sounding preamp like a Great River or even one of the clone preamps from 7th circle maybe even the Hamptone for that mic or get the AT4060 and match it with the Grace 101. There are other options but these pop up in my mind. One of the Blue mics might also be a better match for the Grace.

The floor is open....

Mike, it's best to try out various condensers to find the one(s) you like on YOUR voice. That's why the better pro studios tend to have a large selection.

There's enough budget there to also include a classic dynamic microphone,
like an Electro-Voice RE20 into serious consideration, along with whatever
condenser you pick.

There are other pre's with good reputations besides the Grace 101
in the $500 and under catagory BTW.

Chris

I would love to get a variety. but as of now im just starting to upgrade from my 300 AKG c1000 vocal mic... im just trying to get some nice stuff. i would like to get a nice pre amp for vocals between like 500-1000 bucks. any suggestions?

Middleman said:
The TLM103 needs a warm preamp or you get a very sterile sound. The Grace 101 better matches with a tube mic. Putting the Grace and the 103 together would be very cold sounding unless you have a thick sounding voice.

I would opt for a Nevish sounding preamp like a Great River or even one of the clone preamps from 7th circle maybe even the Hamptone for that mic or get the AT4060 and match it with the Grace 101. There are other options but these pop up in my mind. One of the Blue mics might also be a better match for the Grace.

The floor is open....

oh can you show me a nice tube mic then?

I'd buy one of these (for about the same amount of $) long before I'd buy a Neumann 103.

Brauner Phantom C (used)
Soundelux U195 (used)
Blue Mouse
Shure SM7b

Mikeeley said:
oh can you show me a nice tube mic then?

meriphew's list is good or go here for the 4060.

http://www.musicsystems.com/products/at4060.htm

You could also try the NTK to save a buck however against the price of a TLM103 I would probably be looking at one of these others. If this is for you and you alone, I would get to a mic rental shop, spend $150 bucks, and try out 5-6 mics for the day.

RODE NTK I got to agree on that one.
I use it and it is amazing.I hook it up along side with a Joe Meek tube pre amp and other times with my DBX 376. If you like warm milk chocolate vocals then try it.

It's good to read these boards and get ideas and opinions, but ultimately I think that actually spending some time with a microphone and preamp is the best way to see what it can do. Renting microphones you're interested in is a great idea. I'll be renting a TLM 103 and maybe a few others before I spend a thousand bucks on my next LDC.

Oh, and I think it's very important to have a high quality compressor for vocals since you're trusting it to shape your sound. I use only software compressors, but I put them through a lot of tests to make sure they're not trashing up my audio tracks.

Yo Mikeeley! First, what is a Manley voxbox? It is a high end, wicked expensive channel strip (mic preamp with EQ and a compressor). It is one of the to-die-for preamps, but the sticker shock may actually kill you.
Tube mics? For mid priced, I like Rode NTK/K2 and Studio Projects T-3. Audio-Technica AT4060 is a step up in price and sound. For bigger bucks, Lawson L47MP MkII. For a clean preamp at or under the $1000 mark, the Grace is a perfectly good neutral preamp, but for a grand, you can get 2 very similar preamps with EQ and compression on both channels-Toft ATC-2. I think it's the better buy in the long run. 2 identical channels- good for stereo recording.-Richie

grimy paco said:
RODE NTK I got to agree on that one.
I use it and it is amazing.I hook it up along side with a Joe Meek tube pre amp and other times with my DBX 376. If you like warm milk chocolate vocals then try it.

Whick JoeMeek pre has tubes?

I was thinking about that too. The color in a Joemeek pre comes from its optical compressor. I am unaware of any Joemeek unit with tubes.-Richie

Back