Neil Peart is...

• God

Votes: 43 61.4%
  • Overrated

Votes: 24 34.3%
  • Crap

Votes: 3 4.3%

• Total voters
Right! steve.h ...that is from Family Guy. Chester Cheetah snorts Cheetos and says "Neil Peart is a fucking god!" I think....I do know he mispronounces Neil's last name. He says "pert" and it's pronounced "peert". I still have not figured out why they said his last name like that .....but it does not matter because it was funny as shite! Family Guy is freaking hilarious! Woohoo!

And PhilGood ...what you say is very true....but it's a back handed compliment to any "average drummer".

"As for why Neil is considered by so many to be so great is basically that he is the average drummer's first foray into better (great) drumming."

Hmmmm... I am unsure about your statement. I have had a few beers right now and honestly my mind is somewhere else. BUT! Neil was the one who made me want to play drums in the first place. I will be attending Rush on June 20th in Raleigh, NC. This will be the 8th time I have seen them and as always, I am looking forward to it.

One thing I have learned is that true Rush fans are die hard Rush fans "RUSHians". Even though they kinda lost their "mojo" for a while, they still rule.

Word.

neil peart is a fag. He should play live without a click if he ever wants my respect. And they should cut off geddy lees balls for singing like a total gaylord. What a bunch of crap dreck from the 80's.

Are you guys still crusin around in your Chevy Novas with requisite air shocks and talking about how great Tom Sawyer is ?

Neil Peart. The grease ball choice of 1987 !!!

Neil plays most of the songs without a click track. Before the addition of all the prerecorded events in use at Rush shows now, he didn't use one at all.

But you knew that, because the last time you posted this crap I told you the same thing.

Nice chicklets.

Neil is the MAN in my eyes!! It is true that there are very many drummers today that have just blown me away, but he just amazes me everytime he plays. So effortless.

Another that was mentioned earlier was Stewart Copeland. Another amazing drummer.

But to me... Neil is the man and will continue to be. The drummers today have unbelievable feet and great technique, but Neil is just awesome in his own right. Those same drummers that I say have great feet and technique, are also the drummers that were probably listening and watching Neil play to begin with.

Neil, like the rest;, must be from an advanced civilization because they are the most PRECISE band in the world. Once you learn most of their songs, you will think the same. :eek: :cool:

Nell Peart sounds like a shampoo. :(

FYI, comparing Joey Jordison to Peart shows that you don't understand what makes Peart a truly great drummer.

Last edited:
PhilGood said:
Neil Peart is...

...getting into voice-overs from what I hear. I played golf this weekend with a friend of his from DW. Told me that Neil is playing a character in an animated movie due out this year, but I can remember the name. I will find out.

according to IMDB he plays himself in the new aqua teen hunger force movie.

scorpio01169 said:
Neil is considered a great drummer because in the 80' he was doing things that had other drummers in awwww but now you have drummers doing what he did but better, dream theater and and techy type bands like that just took what rush did to another level
although i respect what mike does in dream theater he has not taken what neil does any better. if anything i thinks more mechanical with his 5/4 and stuff. oh boy!

Word. Neil was, and may still be, an innovator. Portnoy, tho I won't knock him much, he can certainly play, but I don't see the innovation there. Hmnnnnn, better how? And yes, I agree, mechanical, even moreso than mid-80's Neil.

Besides, Bruford pWns then all...:D

I agree that in-and-of-himself, Neil Peart is a good drummer and a super nice guy. His greatness really comes from being a member of Rush, a band I was obsessed with when I was 12-14 years old. By the time I was 15 I could play all the drum parts, all the rhythm guitar parts, all the keyboard parts, and some of the bass parts, and I could recite any lyric from memory on command. I was a fan. So when on the rare occasion that I speak highly of Neil Peart it is in the context of his band.
One of my favorite things is how tightly arranged the songs are. At the end of a musical phrase, the bass and drums play a fill that is either in unison or something close to unison; obviously not improvised.
However, Peart is extremely limited stylistically and would not be as highly regarded if he say, quit Rush and pursued a career as a session drummer. His feel is sterile and he cannot improvise well.
The reason I lost interest in Peart (and in Rush) was that I grew-up. The lyrics are adolescent, some are down right terrible. Primarily, my interest moved on to more challenging things, especially improvisation and deep groove, in-the-pocket drumming, which I don’t think Peart is capable of. A simple, yet compelling groove does way more for me than anything Neil Peart has ever recorded. Listen to Rush’s EP of classic rock cover tunes. It’s by far the worst recording of their career and draws inevitable comparisons to some great feel-oriented drummers.
Over all, Peart is vastly overrated and is not a musical genius. But what he lacks in genius he makes up for in discipline.

Last edited:
Man, it’s been 24 years. I was rehearsing with a singer/song writer a few months back and he started in on 2112. I couldn’t even remember all the figures in the intro, correctly. If I had a chart maybe…Another time I was playing drop the needle with a few guys and they broke out my old Rush LPs and I started bragging about how I knew most of the parts and the all the lyrics in the Jr HIgh School. But when they quizzed me I couldn’t remember most of the lyrics either. It’s pretty much gone and that’s a good thing. In my opinion, anyone over the age of 30 that is still a huge Rush fan has become complacent in their growth as a musician. That stuff appeals mostly to adolescent white boys. By the age of 16 or 17 I had completely lost interest in Rush. Unfortunately their influence proved much more long-lived. Whenever I sat down to compose a rock tune, it would sound like Rush, which was discouraging. They are not exactly great song-smiths. I’d much rather hear an Elliott Smith influence.
But hey, that’s a good challenge and of course, I don’t have any recordings from 1982 to post. And I sure as hell don’t have the desire or the time to re-learn that stuff. It would be kinda fun though…for about 30 minutes.

Back