Neil Peart is...

• God

Votes: 43 61.4%
  • Overrated

Votes: 24 34.3%
  • Crap

Votes: 3 4.3%

• Total voters
Well, apparently it doesn't matter what you play or listen too. If you're a Rush fan at all, you're complacent. Period.

No exceptions. No excuses.

All of us? Crap. :(

...and I thought I was really rockin' having an entire CD with nothing but a 70 minute version of "Rock You Like a Hurricane."

This sucks. I guess I should I just give up my plan of making a DVD video of my two hour rendition of "Smoke on the Water?"

:p

One person is accusing Rush fans of being underdeveloped musically and the other is accusing this Rush fan for being too knowledgeable and proud of it.
Oh well, be happy with yourselves. :D

As long as you are complacent in your vast knowledge, then it's ok. :D

I tend to agree with drumzealot. At least about the lyrics. A lot of Rush lyrics are really bad, I think the word pedantic was floated earlier . . . I used to have a bunch of Rush LPs, I still have Signals on CD, that's their best effort in my opinion.

As for the drumming . . . hmmm, I'm not a drummer myself, but I don't think it's the Holy Grail. My HS band covered Tom Sawyer, we had to get a new drummer because ours basically refused to get on stage, ever. So we hooked up with this really good guy, he hadn't heard Rush before, but listened to Tom Sawyer once and pretty much nailed it . . . on a 4-piece kit. There's something to be said for economy. Yeah, he was into jazz; word has it he went on to be a session player but I don't really know. I have no idea why he wasn't embarrassed to be on stage with us, I tell you that much . . .

Well, in my estimation Peart has his own style; that's more than can be said for most recent drummers . . . for trios, I would take every member of the Police over Rush, instrument for instrument, except maybe some of Lee's bass (Lee was more technical, but Sting has better tone). And the Police's songwriting was 100% better. Heck, Copeland mostly writes film scores now. Those guys are all monsters.

I tend to agree with drumzealot. At least about the lyrics. A lot of Rush lyrics are really bad, I think the word pedantic was floated earlier . . . I used to have a bunch of Rush LPs, I still have Signals on CD, that's their best effort in my opinion.

As for the drumming . . . hmmm, I'm not a drummer myself, but I don't think it's the Holy Grail. My HS band covered Tom Sawyer, we had to get a new drummer because ours basically refused to get on stage, ever. So we hooked up with this really good guy, he hadn't heard Rush before, but listened to Tom Sawyer once and pretty much nailed it . . . on a 4-piece kit. There's something to be said for economy. Yeah, he was into jazz; word has it he went on to be a session player but I don't really know. I have no idea why he wasn't embarrassed to be on stage with us, I tell you that much . . .

Well, in my estimation Peart has his own style; that's more than can be said for most recent drummers . . . for trios, I would take every member of the Police over Rush, instrument for instrument, except maybe some of Lee's bass (Lee was more technical, but Sting has better tone). And the Police's songwriting was 100% better. Heck, Copeland mostly writes film scores now. Those guys are all monsters.

This is how a reasonable person disagrees. Drumzealot should take note.

Yeah, MSH, it's horses for courses. I personally think Sting writes infinitely more preachy lyrics than NP, but I agree that much early Rush is pretty juvenile first-year philosophy and rock fantasy.

We could compare lyrics to songs like Kid Gloves, Subdivisions, Spirit of Radio, and Between Sun and Moon to songs like Sally/Be My.., Mother, Canary in a Coalmine, and Message in a Bottle, but it would be cherrypicking. I think if you look at Rush's complete body of work, compared to that of The Police, you will agree it's broader, deeper, and more of an evolution rather than the revolution in reggae/punk/pop that The Police brought to the table. I think Peart is by far the better lyricist, early fairy boots nonwithstanding.

And as a matter of personal taste, Rush speaks to me in a way that the Police never did.

We were listening to Rush - the kids giving us swirlies were listening to The Police.

I think if you look at Rush's complete body of work, compared to that of The Police, you will agree it's broader, deeper, and more of an evolution rather than the revolution in reggae/punk/pop that The Police brought to the table. I think Peart is by far the better lyricist, early fairy boots nonwithstanding.

Hmmm. Well, sure the Police wrote some crap like "Walking In Your Footsteps". But Sting can write a love song, and I don't know if Rush ever tried. I certainly hope not!

I don't think we can compare Rush's 30+ year career to the five years of the Police. Instead, we'd have to take their best (most popular and critically acclaimed) efforts, which were right at the same time: Moving Pictures vs. Ghost in the Machine. That's a no-brainer for me, and I owned both albums at the time.

After that, Sting did Dream of the Blue Turtles, and Rush did Power Windows, and I collectively lost interest. You say Rush did something interesting in 1996? Too late, it doesn't matter post-Nirvana. Sorry. Face it, they did their best work on "Great White North" :p

We were listening to Rush - the kids giving us swirlies were listening to The Police.

The cool kids were skipping skool and listening to Minor Threat :cool:

After that, Sting did Dream of the Blue Turtles, and Rush did Power Windows, and I collectively lost interest.

Like I said - you're basing your assertions on the fact that you lost interest.

Some of us never did. And I think it's acutely relevant that Rush has a successful 30+ year enterprise, and that The Police do not.

I think you just have a man-crush on Sting. He is definitely more better handsome than Geddy Lee, who resembles an angry weasel. :)

Like I said - you're basing your assertions on the fact that you lost interest.

Well I heard all the stuff they did until the end of the '80s; after that, they were an anachronism. Heck, "Losing It" was on Signals, in 1981. Take your own hint!

On the other hand, I've heard every hit Sting has had since then . . . I don't think Rush has had a hit song. OK, "Big Money" was a hit (I just cheated and looked it up; Big Money was the last hit, but New World Man charted higher! Go figure. Well, NWM is a much better song). Seriously though, I bet "Take Off" is Lee's highest charting effort :p (looked it up, I was right!)

I don't think you can argue Rush's style didn't lend itself to hits. Asia had major hits in the same era. Yes had massive hits off 90125. So did the Gabriel-less Genesis. Even Triumph had a couple of hits.

So when they all stopped having hits . . . it's over.

I think you just have a man-crush on Sting. He is definitely more better handsome than Geddy Lee, who resembles an angry weasel. :)

:D Actually I'm not a big Sting fan. I would lick Copeland's or Summer's boots though, and happily!

Isn't this thread about Neil Peart's drumming skills?

So when they all stopped having hits . . . it's over.

In some people's minds, I suppose they equate quality and musicianship with record sales, but I don't view things that way. If I were, I would have to state that Brittany Spears must be a superior musician to all that have been mentioned so far on this thread because even at the height of her public breakdown, her record sales soared.

I think that many people simply cleave to their music heroes and trash what they don't like.
I don't think that you can even talk about "The Police" in the same sentence as "Rush" because they are very different music genres. It's like comparing Bob Dylan to Pink Floyd. Chances are, if you like one of those two, you won't like the other.
I am sick of "Billboard Charts" and A&R folks deciding what is good. Look where they have brought the industry with their choices. It's dying and people have gone to indie and "basket CD" labels to find interesting music to listen to (and that doesn't show up on the charts).
BTW Neil Peart is a good drummer. There are probably more good drummers around now than ever before and he remains a good drummer, as do the others.

In some people's minds, I suppose they equate quality and musicianship with record sales, but I don't view things that way. If I were, I would have to state that Brittany Spears must be a superior musician to all that have been mentioned so far on this thread because even at the height of her public breakdown, her record sales soared.

I think that many people simply cleave to their music heroes and trash what they don't like.
I don't think that you can even talk about "The Police" in the same sentence as "Rush" because they are very different music genres. It's like comparing Bob Dylan to Pink Floyd. Chances are, if you like one of those two, you won't like the other.
I am sick of "Billboard Charts" and A&R folks deciding what is good. Look where they have brought the industry with their choices. It's dying and people have gone to indie and "basket CD" labels to find interesting music to listen to (and that doesn't show up on the charts).
BTW Neil Peart is a good drummer. There are probably more good drummers around now than ever before and he remains a good drummer, as do the others.

I guess you've never seen Britney Spears on the chapman stick then.

I haven't either.

(stands and applauds)

Well said!!!!:)

Back