need to here your inputs on an old mac

it's a performa 6360,is that the numbers?yer talkin about?the info was from the apple web site ,from thespecs of the 6360,my brother(where i originally got the computer)and i were talking and i asked him exactly what i had ,and he was like"oh you have the performa 6360,let's just go to the web and get the specs"so if there arer a few indiscrepencies,it's because i just copied and pasted from what he e-mailed me,i know that he did some upgrading,and so when he was writing up the specs,he changed it to say exactly what he upgraded to.so that inconsistency,where it says 66mhz,that's what he put into the computer,does that sound right?also he had told me that when he put it together he tried to make it so that it could hold as much memory as that model could handle and be a s fast as it could as well,so he tried to make it bionic(sounds like the next line should say:"little did he know what kind of monster lurked in the computer mainframe,no one could anticipate the sheer power his creation was capable of,first it would take over small cities,but it went on to entire nations..............",oops,blah blah,it's almost 5:00,i go home soon!!yeah this is fun,all i can do on the computer now is play old games that looks like atari graphics,but i looked at cd roms on e-bay as you suggested and,there is a lot of stuff available.he also showed me this company called
http/www.smalldog.com

they got some stuffthat looks like i could use,but,if i get a few more things,can i do at least some limited audio stuff?any tracking?any recording.the mac stuff is not cheap.

I Was Wrong!

Those specs are right if you have a performa630. This will be a great internet computer, and a great computer for MIDI sequencing. No audio though, sorry. As far as the graphics, get yourself a CDROM and a copy of MAC OS 8.0 and you will see a major difference. If you had a Performa 6360 you would have a 603e processor @160MHz, A bigger computer than I'm am recording audio with. But I know it's not one of those, because those came with an 8X Internal CDROM drive. I would recommend a 4X for your situation. You don't wanna sink a whole lotta money into this baby. Unless you find a good deal on a faster one by all means grab it.
GOODLUCK BRO,:cool: T.J.Hooker

That was quite a list of stuff you presented re: that old Mac. But you can boil it down to just one word:
"doorstop"
It won't make a "great" internet computer unless all you do is send & receive text-only e-mails and it won't make a "great" sequencer either.
But it might be a fun project, if that's your idea of fun.

Whatta you a troublemaker from Florida!?

What's up Doc? For the amount of money Mojo paid for it , it's a "USEFUL" computer

Useful for what?
My Commodore 64 still works. So does my Vic-20. So what?
My 486 dx-33 still works. So what? I don't own it anymore.
My P-90 needs some work. Who cares?
If these projects or their Mac counterparts get you going: Please. Have some fun and let me know what you've scraped out of it.

At any stage of the development process throughout the growth of this monster called personal computing
the software has been more than half of the equation
in terms of what makes it fly.

The software developers have been forced to jump on the bandwagon and write for the current platform. If you want to feed your family, can you 'splain' it to your old lady why you're writing software for an obsolete platform?

If you're into both ends of this then maybe you can have some fun. Musing upon how the folks were too primitive at the time to appreciate the processors they had just invented.

Settle down now

Hey, I'm just sayin' run with what you got, or can get, and learn whatever you can from it, til' you can upgrade. That's what I had to do. I started a year or so ago with smaller than what mojo's got(just enough to get online) and I learned a shitload about how these things work. Not everybody's got money for what they need, to just atleast get runnin'. So start where ya can. If that's wrong, I don't wanna be right.
SEE YA, T.

Not even partially unsettled

No- yer right about usin' this as a learning experience. But my point is that more than half of the learning involved is by the nature of the process locked into the new software that permeates the market. I've felt the pain several times having to re-learn a new paradigm.

Don't get lost in the past of software. That's a lonely spot to hang out. About as useful as a brilliantly categorized collection of the fungi growing underneath the toenails of dead Europeans from the 12th century.

Man you would've gotten a kick out of seeing me- computer nerd at large unpacking my 486-dx33 and then, after getting it cabled and powered up in ~2 minutes wondering what this whole desktop bullshit was all about.

It's all about usefulness. If you can make that Mac useful to you, more power to you. Don't let anything I've said stop you from doing that. I only ask you to compare it with what else you could have done with your time.

I hear ya

I agree 100%. But if you get something for free, and you don't have cash for anything else at the time,(I'm not saying Mojo does'nt have any money how would I know) what time is being wasted. Your utilizing time you could be wasting by having nothing.

wow,drstawl,you sound a little bitter.must have seriously paid your dues w/ computers.must of had some serious hair pulling out sessions,wondering where tech support is?anyway,tj ,yer right on the money,i have none.very limited resources,and so,yes,it's gonna be an interesting learning experience.i gave my mac it's maiden voyage on the net.OH MY GOD,this m*th*Rf*ck*r is SLOWWWWWWWW!!!i had no idea.i am used this compaq i am on right now,i can do several internet functions at once.my mac,on the other hand........wow,it crashes if i try to do link after link,and my goodness,it takes a good 15 minutes just to see one page clearly.this is due to the modem?right?because i was very interested in what you said i might be able to do,tj.i hope because it's not on the web,that i will just be using different things,that it won't be agood half hour just to wait for a sequencing program to show itself?or am i heplessly hopeless?

i mean,by all means drstawl,keep it as real as humanly possible.i need a bit of cynicism to keep my realistic outlook of what i am trying to accomplish.as far as time,outside of 40 nhours a week at a job,i play a few gigs per month,rehearse,and i am trying to cut off a social life completely,for musical reasons,i have wastedenough times in bars,trying to meet some wonderful woman,when i could of been at least practicing guitar,or learning a lot more.so ,yes,i got time now,plenty,and i really apreciate all your inputs,i need to step up my learning curve sooo much.as you can see.so i don't have the cash to buy a cd rom yet,any thing on floppy disc i could use or at least learn with?or at the worst,i could configure what i can,and watch the mac crash every time i try something.that is a learning experience.so,tell me about what i might be able to try ,or play with?i need some names of plugins that work with my mac floppy?

I was running a Mac Quadra660AV "25Mhz",with a 28K Modem, and 24MB of RAM. It wasn't lighting, But It wasn't slow either. It was a little powerhouse. I would still be using it online, but as drstawl(i think)was talking about Macs won't run a Java console unless it's a PowerMac. Anway right now I'm using a PowerMac7200 with the same modem. It was pretty zippy until I stole some RAM out of it for my DAW. Now until I get more RAM in it, it's sloooow. You said your brother upgraded your modem. Are you sure of that ? Check "About this computer" in the apple menu to see how much RAM is installed, and what OS your using. Get OS 8, and your atari looking graphics will be nonatari looking. If you can get your hands on a copy of say Cakewalks Metro 3.5, You can learn alot about how a computer sequencer works and probably make good use of it for now.
T.

old mac

we are in the same boat...i just purchased an old mac power mac 810080 and I am getting so many confusing bits of info as to what i can and cannot use for digital recording. first, get as much ram as you can...next pound the pavement to get info! Go to a guitar center or mars musician planet to get what you need. Then because most salesmen are trying to make money go to your nearest mac dealer and check out what you can and can't do to this system. If you can get this to jibe with the sales guys you should be good to go. But no matter what info you get literally triple check it...because you are bound to get the wrong info...trust me...I am going thru it right now...if you find that the general consensus is that your system is slow then check out EBAY...there is so much crap for sell on line there for your mac that it's ludicrous! That's where I am getting all my stuff from.....except the actual programs...it'll be worth it to get those from the stores.
Once you get a list of things that may work...check out the system reqs versus what you have...then upgrade...there are actually a few that you can download like Pro Tools SE for free!!!! More hard disk space may be in order as such aforementioned programs eat lots of space.
If all else fails and you don't want to get into buying a new (expensive) IMAC or G4 then check the powermac ranging from the 8100 thru the 9500...Ebay price range go from $150 (the cost for my 810080 to $500 for a 9500. when checking ebay there are multiple links to the sight that gives the factory specs on the system if the seller doesn't list them.
It's a pain but it's worth it before you sink money into your performa...trust me on that one. good luck. if you discover anything new (that goes for anyone out there) then hit me at bmeeks@mailfci.com. I can always use a tip myself. *****one final piece of information******when digging for more info, if possible, take the system with you
and make them pay attention to what you are saying. Most techs and salesmen are less likely to discuss intricate details such as the inner workings of your MAC over the phone. Adios.

That's Right!

AHHHH...E-bay The Nubus Macusers lifeline. Mojo, Tonight, I watched a new 4X CDROM drive go for $16.50 plus probably $6.00 shipping, also I watched a 7200/90 PCI PowerMac go for $36.50 plus probably $15-$20.00 shipping depending on how faraway it's coming from. Usually they don't sell these with a monitor, or sometimes no keyboard or mouse. But you got that shit now from your performa. Anything smaller than a 7200 is a Nubus Mac, non PCI. For $35.00 shipping included I Bought a Power Computing Powercurve 120(A Mac Clone)Not a Mac, but runs Mac OS just as well if not better. I'm Recording some pretty cool shit with it. I already have my SCSI accelerator and 7200 RPM Harddrive though. Through my experiences, these are necessary for recording audio.
:cool: T.J.Hooker

mac

Dear Anyone,
Is an 8100 a nubus mac or not? I keep getting conflicting info. And your scsi accelerator? How does that work? Are they pretty easy to use or what? Perhaps I just need to work from the ground up on my MAC....if you can give as much info as you can about what to buy...which programs are best...mastering capabilities...sequencing...I have worked with hardware (MPC2000...still awesome!)but in moving to digital it's been one big ass ball of confusion.

Captain Brainfart
Sindeep

yo T J,still out there?

iam curios like sindeep.about the scsi accelerator and what options i might do for those great prices.now i am getting somewhere!i am starting to understand our conversation!!ok so if you were me(slow and very illeterate w/ this topic)would you:
a)get the 7200/90 pci powermac
b)4x cdrom
c)get the mac clone
when i tried to download the aol upgrade last night it estimated to take 1 hour!i gave up,after all i want some free internet.
will i save memory space if i e-mail downloads and programs from a better computer?or is it the same thing?
i e-mailed the real player from hear ,but it's the setup,so iguess it is still like i am getting the set up from the mac via internet.oh well.is there possibly some way i could free up a lot of space?i already threw out have the files and folders and still it makes no difference.

YUP!

I was thinking about that, after I said anything smaller than a 7200 is a Nubus mac. Yes, an 8100 is a Nubus Mac.
I know it seems strange that there numbers would kinda go backwards like that, But 6100,7100,8100 all Nubus Macs. Well an 8100 actually has a bigger processor than a 7200 but not by too much. Something else weird, A 7300 is more powerful than a 7500, or a 7600. I think other than that it's pretty much a straight order. The bigger the number the bigger the machine. The 7200 was Mac's first PCI PowerMac. It kinda got them in the ballgame more being able to utilize PCI. The only real drawback to the 7200 was it's upgrade capabilities. The processor, instead of being on a daughtercard, was soldered to the motherboard. So you were screwed if you wanted to upgrade. All the other PCI PowerMac's have a daughtercard and can be upgraded to a G3 or G4. The 7200 can be upgraded now also, someone recently developed a G3 upgrade card that goes in the L2 Cache slot.
The SCSI accelerator works well. It's an adaptec 2940UW. When I recorded more than two or three tracks, sometimes just one, I kept getting this Error, "The Harddrive is too slow for playback" So I picked up a 7200RPM Harddrive, I think I got another track out of it with that, But otherwise, Samething "The Harddrive is too slow for playback" So my friend that handles the DAW stuff at the Mac Place here in Syracuse, said "You need a 68pin UW SCSI accelerator". So that's what I did. No more error for now. I do get this click at 8 tracks or more. I think I need more RAM(Always).I have'nt 100% figured it out yet. I'm using Cakewalks Metro 4. I don't like it. I get a syserror.err file when I install it. What the F*%k is that! So I asked cakewalks techsupport dickwad asshole if this was normal. His Name is "BRIAN ESPINOSA"( AND PROBABLY NOT, BUT IF HE READS THIS FORUM, YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE ASSHOLE!) , and he said "it's not normal, try such and such and get back to me." But as soon as I told him, "I think I got some bum software, how can you help me" He just blew me off and would'nt return my e-mails anymore. So I'm still using it because it's all I got. But I think Cakewalk Sucks MOOSEC#*K! And I'll never even consider buying anything from them again. it's My lifes mission to bring them down. It's just rude. If they can't help me, they could atleast let me know. Maybe the asshole croaked.
GoodLuck Man!:cool: T.J.Hooker

HEY MAN

Hey Mojo How's it goin! I was writing that last post, must be while you were writing yours. You could throw out a bunch of stuff. It's not gonna make it any faster. You need RAM. A different kind of memory than your getting when you throw something out. Try turnig on virtual memory for now in the memory part of your control panels. It uses extra harddrive memory. It sounds like if that AOL download is gonna take an hour, You do not have a 56K modem. How big of a file is it. Your modem is probably slow that's why it is taking forever online. When a window closes does disappear or disappear in a wave slowly. If it just disappears at once you should be O.K. with RAM. If not that's where your slug is. If you get a 7200 try to make sure it's 7200/120. the 90's are alright, But you need a little more. That's what I am on right now a 7200/90MHz. I have only been using the clone 120Mhz as my DAW for a couple of days, but so far so good. I can use plugins I couldn't use on the 7200/90. So that helps. There is only room for one harddrive inside the clone, so I pulled the floppy. But external harddives can be gotten.
If you have the money I would go for a 7500 (maybe $125.00) that you can Easily upgrade to a 604 processor for probably $20.00 from E-Bay. Then you would be an audio recording, Midi sequencing madman, that the old lady would love to toss in front of the nearest oncoming train.
;) ,T.

tj,it's a little after the fact,but a few months ago in electronic musician,they were reviewing small companies that make the entire kit for multi-tracking,all necessary software ,all the upgradable system stuff,it's all preconfigured,some you can just pull outta the \box and plug it in.but,the company's owner(or whatever you call the guy that has the idea and starts it,but on a small grass roots level)anyway.the biggest thing that all these companies say is live tech support,their whole attitude is you should be recording and asking how can i do this,rather than why is this not working?but go figure,cakewalk,a co. based entirely on software studio production,has tech support guys that aren't sympathetic to a musician pulling his hair out because he can't get the f*ck*ng thing working?i feel your pain!!have you talked to the head guy?definitely get yourself heard,they're a big company,i wonder how they feel about a situation such as thus,for they ride on reputation mostly,i dunno,though.but one small company has the founder linked up to the computers hew sells so that he can look right at the problem! amazing huh?i was thinking about this myself some entry level stuff for everything('cept the monitor)starts at$1000.i can afford that when the cash becomes available.so why not?have you researched this aspect,tj?maybe go through one of these upstart co.s,and then you have a relationship w/ the people and then ,more sympathy?just a thought,because there is nothing i hate more than stagnation in a moment of inspiration.

I tell you what, on the stagnation note. After I get everthing setup,(as a normal person should have to do only once, but I like to F#*k around too much) I am so burned out that my creative juices have gone dry for two,three days. So I hear ya there. Does this company your referring to deal with mac's. I have nothing really against windows for games, and internet, but for this stuff I'm gonna stick with my Mac's that are really only configured(Unless G3 or G4) for someone doing this sort of thing, or photoshop, or professional type things. As far as the tech support, I plan on calling instead of E-mailing, but,(and this was about a year ago that happened) I'm just still just so pissed off about the inconsideration for a person in need. Snakes hang with the snakes, Ya Know ? Besides when you call the Cakewalk supportline your prettymuch guaranteed a 20 minute wait before you can even talk to a human.
Stay cool:cool:, T.J. Hooker

i think the order of our comments are getting a little skewed?

i hope that things here in this thread start making sense as far as me making a comment to a previous thread and then it gets answered like maybe two posts later,or vice versa or like a backwards delay ,some time cintingent thing in the flux converter there is a wrinkle in the time space continuum.what city are you writing from tj?and can you post the music you are now doimng on that system?i'd be very interested to what specifically you are doing with that computer-------

wow this is scary?

ok ,tj,i am gonna get the EM for you as soon as i can like give me til tomorrow to get the name of the sites.there are like 6 companies and i think thay all have mac.as i was told in trhe serious studio format,mac,as expensive as it is to maintain and upgrade(maybe the newer sh*t?'cause all the stuff were discussing is good)that it is THE only way to record and get be interchangable awith any high budget production studio.anyway iwas "told",and i "think" that all the companies are definitely mac friendly.and hey i hear ya loud and clear.the creative juices stop flowing ,you might as well sleep for a week.if i can't do an idea because of some uncontrollable circumstance,i go way ballistic!

Back