Need some songwriters for a short piece of online research

elementary

Hi everyone,

I'm a psychology researcher working at Queen's University Belfast, and I'm an experienced musician and longtime recording enthusiast/small time producer. I've worked with Irish and UK artists like Two Door Cinema Club, Kowalski, General Fiasco, Rams' Pocket Radio, Panama Kings, More than Conquerors etc. I'm currently researching OCD for my PhD thesis, and running a small group therapy session weekly for individuals with severe OCD.

Anyone who has ever experienced the disorder in its more severe forms will know that it destroys relationships, families and employment prospects, and leads to isolation, depression, and often substance abuse. We are trying to develop more effective cognitive therapies for the disorder. We have reason to suspect that songwriters may have certain qualities related to OCD, and learning to harness these qualities may provide relief from troubling obsessions for individuals with the disorder. However, we have no clear proof of this yet, and that's why I'm here!

This is a request for anyone who has a spare 20 minutes to help with our research by completing this online survey:

http://goo.gl/nxCy7

I'm sorry for the unsolicited spam, but it won't cost you anything, and your responses may ultimately lead to better treatment, and less suffering.
Thanks,
Ryan

My OCD prevents me from taking your survey. Seriously. I got to the part where there was a timer and I had to list things, and I was like, F*** This.

Haha yea, I know it's a little bit laborious, and I don't really have anything to offer other than the warm fuzzy feeling you get from knowing you're helping people out, but it's important stuff. I'm not trying to force anyone to do it, but if anyone has 20 spare minutes and wants to help some folks out, then great!
Thanks for starting it anyways :)

I'm a psychology researcher working at Queen's University Belfast, and I'm an experienced musician and longtime recording enthusiast/small time producer. I've worked with Irish and UK artists like Two Door Cinema Club, Kowalski, General Fiasco, Rams' Pocket Radio, Panama Kings, More than Conquerors etc.

Wanna give me a job, Ryan?

FWIW, all the coins have to be heads up and in decreasing order of size. That's not even a joke. ;)

We touched on this a while ago.
Greg, was it you who talked about symmetry in a mix?

Someone did and I've definitely thought about it in the past. I think it limits me in many ways.
I often hear someones mix with a piano out to the left and guitar out to the right, for example. I always love it, but If I was mixing it'd probably be a pair of stereo recordings, with 'classical' structure.

It's a bit like if you do it it's great, and if I do it, it's imbalanced.

I got to the timer bit and nearly gave up, but I persisted.

The last page was aggravating with its picture puzzles. They were logic puzzles with which I quickly got bored. I didn't have the patience to work them out. I'm like that with Sudoku too.

Thanks very much! Yea, the logic puzzles at the end are difficult - they are from a standardized test called the Raven's Advanced Progressive Matrices. I gave you guys the advanced version, rather than the standard, because in my experience, songwriters and artists tend to have above average intelligence. I know these things are annoying and I hate inflicting them on people, but I'm trying to develop a means of helping people with debilitating OCD to understand that weird thoughts might be helpful, and that creative people might use unusual thoughts productively.

Wanna give me a job, Ryan?

Haha I wish! I kinda slid away from trying to do music professionally after I fell into psychology and started enjoying it. I don't think I really had the skills anyway to make a living, but loved it, and still do. Here's an old thing I did with Pete from Ram's Pocket Radio and the Ulster Youth Orchestra back in 08 I think, just so you all know I'm not BSing - Rams' Pocket Radio - Boats sample by Ryan Mitchell | Song | Free Music, Listen Now

Thanks very much! Yea, the logic puzzles at the end are difficult - they are from a standardized test called the Raven's Advanced Progressive Matrices. I gave you guys the advanced version, rather than the standard, because in my experience, songwriters and artists tend to have above average intelligence. I know these things are annoying and I hate inflicting them on people, but I'm trying to develop a means of helping people with debilitating OCD to understand that weird thoughts might be helpful, and that creative people might use unusual thoughts productively.

So how do you distinguish between "can't do" and "bored", or doesn't it matter?

We touched on this a while ago.
Greg, was it you who talked about symmetry in a mix?

Someone did and I've definitely thought about it in the past. I think it limits me in many ways.
I often hear someones mix with a piano out to the left and guitar out to the right, for example. I always love it, but If I was mixing it'd probably be a pair of stereo recordings, with 'classical' structure.

It's a bit like if you do it it's great, and if I do it, it's imbalanced.

Yup, that was me. I like symmetrical mixes for my own stuff. Well, for the major parts anyway. I don't mind a lead guitar panned off center or a tambo to one side, but the meat of the song - rhythm guitars, bass, kick/snare, vocals - gotta be centered or balanced wide. I'll probably never balance a guitar on one side and say a piano on the other. I'll do two guitars wide and put the piano somewhere in between. Basically I want all my mixes bookended with guitars. Big, stupid, loud guitars. :D

Is that OCD? Or just moronic stubborness?

By the way.....to the OP....

Joey Ramone had severe, almost totally debilitating OCD. He was a total complete mess from day one. That didn't stop him from writing some classic punk/pop songs, fronting one of the most influential bands of all time, playing over 2200 live shows around the world, and getting into the rock and roll hall of fame. He was also a very successful investor.

RIP Joey. :(

Yup, that was me. I like symmetrical mixes for my own stuff. Well, for the major parts anyway. I don't mind a lead guitar panned off center or a tambo to one side, but the meat of the song - rhythm guitars, bass, kick/snare, vocals - gotta be centered or balanced wide. I'll probably never balance a guitar on one side and say a piano on the other. I'll do two guitars wide and put the piano somewhere in between. Basically I want all my mixes bookended with guitars. Big, stupid, loud guitars. :D

Is that OCD? Or just moronic stubborness?

I suppose it might be a little different for you. From anything I've heard, you're very firmly placed in a genre where symmetry and solidity works very well.

That Cheer Down mix I did? To me it's the best sounding mix I've done in ages, because the lead and piano are off to different sides.
The staccato guitar is left, the sustain is right. Just opens the mix out IMO.

Done... was enjoying the logic puzzles until the last few.... as I'm at work I only have so much time so had to make guesses for the last couple rather than spend a few minutes analysing..

I won't bother with the survey as I don't feel it will ever help anyone except the OP with his thesis. My 2 cents.

I completed the entire survey. I found the puzzles at the end baffling.

I now suffer from intrusive thoughts of throwing a brick through the window of any store that sells puzzles.

I now suffer from intrusive thoughts of throwing a brick through the window of any store that sells puzzles.

Simple puzzles won't cut it for a thesis. It has to be hard so it looks impressive and gets an A

Are you extremely likely, likely, neither likely nor unlikely, unlikely or extremely unlikely to act on this thought?;)

Back