Need short scale bass info and reccomendations

Hey guys,
Thanks for the replies. I'm still looking.

The basses that are currently in production that have caught my eye are the Gretsch 2202 electromatic and the Ibanez Micro. Even though they're both very inexpensive, they seem to get pretty good reviews.

My local music shop only had one short scale bass in stock. It was a Squire Bronco. For $150 it wasn't bad. Although I like to keep things simple, the Bronco is a very bare bones bass. But it didn't sound bad, and playing it definitely confirmed to me that I want a short scale.

So I need to go to a bigger pond, (Indy or Chicago) to find a better selection to try. I'm not crazy about buying an instrument on line. I like to actually play them first.

Anybody tried the Gretsch or the Ibanez? Comments?

I don't have any experience with the Gretsch or Ibanez basses, but I own two Ibanez guitars, with another soon to be out of lay-away. If the Ibanez basses are anything like their guitars, and I've heard that they are, you should be just fine going with an Ibanez. They truly have some outstanding bang-for-the-buck guitars.

Matt

Oh, this is halarious:

"The Elite series are instruments that approach custom shop perfection. They're made with premium woods, fitted with American pickups and circuitry — even American-made toggle switches and Grover tuners."

So, Gibson is trying to cash in on what so many of us are already doing- buying an Epi (or other lower-priced version of expensive guitars) and upgrading it.

I don't know how I feel about that...

Depends on what you want

I've got an old original Mustang. I may be buried with it.

I've got a new Epiphone EB-O, which is the single p/u (humbucker) version. I was amazed at how much I liked the sound. Very full, but not muddy like I had expected. I got it used for $150, but they're only about 200 new.

I've also got Rondo's short scale SX Jazz and ss SX P. Both are kinda cool in their own way, and quite playable, but the pickups aren't quite there for me. YMMV.

What kind of music, and what kind of amp?

I've always regretted not buying a Woody, but I don't know if I would have really liked it.

I don't have any experience with the Gretsch or Ibanez basses, but I own two Ibanez guitars, with another soon to be out of lay-away. If the Ibanez basses are anything like their guitars, and I've heard that they are, you should be just fine going with an Ibanez. They truly have some outstanding bang-for-the-buck guitars.

Matt

So, did you ever get that album done?

I've got an old original Mustang. I may be buried with it.

I've got a new Epiphone EB-O, which is the single p/u (humbucker) version. I was amazed at how much I liked the sound. Very full, but not muddy like I had expected. I got it used for $150, but they're only about 200 new.

I've also got Rondo's short scale SX Jazz and ss SX P. Both are kinda cool in their own way, and quite playable, but the pickups aren't quite there for me. YMMV.

What kind of music, and what kind of amp?

I've always regretted not buying a Woody, but I don't know if I would have really liked it.
I've also got a vintage Mustang, and an EB-0 clone...and I play the Woody a LOT. There something about that semi hollow body that feels and sounds amazing...at least to me...:cool:

I've never really liked hollow body, or even semi-hollow basses, except for an early Beatle's sound, but my tastes are slowly changing. If you've done anything that I could hear the Woody on, that would be cool.

I'm too bad a player to record my bass noises :o but I can say that the Woody has a very different sound than the Beatle-basses that I've tried, which have all sounded thin and wimpy to me...much gutsier. I've never played the Hofner Club, but I'd imagine that it sounds a bit like that.
I can play up near the neck for some warm, almost acoustic or upright sounds, or nearer the bridge for some rawer, more ballsy and authoritative sounds. I picked mine up used, and have been really happy with it. I'll probably end up changing from the roundwounds that I got it with, but have really been enjoying the difference in sonic palette.

So, did you ever get that album done?

The most I've done is trying to learn how to use my digital multi-tracker, and realizing that I need more practice than what I'd realized...I was even rusty on MY OWN pieces. Otherwise, I've learned a few more tunes, and created a few more. I've either got a thick skull, or have read something wrong in the manual, but one day I'll figure out how to work my "recording toy."

Matt

The Woody does look interesting. It's a pretty instrument. But can't seem to find anyone nearby who has one in stock.

I have a very old Emperador Semi Acoustic & it sounds amazing - wall shakingly loud & bottom end brown notingly good - flat wound strings suit it well - it's superb for live chest thuding rock music playing but not so hot for recording as it's TOO big.

I always thought that semi-acoustics usually aren't as good for live, simply because of the feedback problem. How do you get around that?

I always thought that semi-acoustics usually aren't as good for live, simply because of the feedback problem. How do you get around that?

I have never had a problem with that especially with a bass
you are a lot less likely getting feedback on stage as you would in a closed in rehearsal area.

Well, I remember playing a Hofner copy through a Bassman where I couldn't move without it howling. And that was out in the open, no wall behind us.

Well, I remember playing a Hofner copy through a Bassman where I couldn't move without it howling. And that was out in the open, no wall behind us.

prolly had hot overwound pickups
rolling off the volume on the bass would have remedied that.

Back