Need new DAW software (suggestions please)

Rossl

I don't record complicated projects (maybe 4 to 8 audio tracks, mostly guitars). I sometimes go months without using the software, so I forget commands that I don't use a lot. I need something basic that sounds good and has decent effects (a good reverb, compressor and EQ are the most used) and really good support or online community knowledge.

In the past I've used Cakewalk from ProAudio 9 to Sonar. I liked Cakewalk because when I started with PA9 they had great support which sort of lasted through Sonar... I tried Bandlab but support wasn't so great, it was free at the time so I didn't expect much.

Recently installed Performer Lite. Recordings sound much better than Sonar.............but I find editing to be cumbersome because you can't "Select By Time". I am not impressed with MOTU support on this product and the on line manual (much different than Digital Performer) isn't that great. I was considering Digital Performer but it probably has more features than I need and if the support isn't better than Performer Lite I don't want to give MOTU $400.

For good support (answering my usually "uninteresting ?'s) I would be willing to pay a little more for the software.

I was hoping to get some suggestions on what would be a good fit.

There are quite a few good options, but Reaper seems to be a pretty economical and effective one.
+1 ^

Reaper ticks all your boxes.. not sure how well your 'Select By Time' requirements will be satisfied. It's full, unrestricted version is available to try for free and a small purchase price will register you for years of updates.

If you DL, just make sure you select 32-bit or 64-bit for compatibility.

REAPER | Audio Production Without Limits

+1 ^

not sure how well your 'Select By Time' requirements will be satisfied.

If you DL, just make sure you select 32-bit or 64-bit for compatibility.

REAPER | Audio Production Without Limits

I work on a lot of pre-recorded audio files. The audio isn't usually lined up with the measures in the software. So for editing purposes I have to find the end of the measure or a phrase be able to highlight it to add effects like +/- gain or cut and paste.

Do you know how I would do this in Reaper?

I work on a lot of pre-recorded audio files. The audio isn't usually lined up with the measures in the software. So for editing purposes I have to find the end of the measure or a phrase be able to highlight it to add effects like +/- gain or cut and paste.

Do you know how I would do this in Reaper?

If I assume what you're wanting to accomplish, I'll most likely get it wrong. Locating phrases or points along a track item's displayed waveform is fairly straightforward - visually. Then you can zoom in or out or neither, then highlight sections and/or split the track into multiple sections for edits and/or FX/processing.

Here's one of Kenny Gioia's videos that may be what you're looking for :

I'll stand back to let more knowledgeable users jump in here..

Last edited:
Back