Need help!

nopoetic

My band is building a small studio. We have about $4000 max to spend on the recording equipment. We have a computer that can handle a good sound card or firewire interface. We need to be able to mix at least 12 inputs at one time. Can anyone suggest a good mixer/digital interface for around $2000? I currently run an M-Audio card, but I need to be able to record single tracks from each source input into a sound production program (I use Nuendo, but I have Sonar and a few others), and 12 of them at once to track drums. I don't quite understand how firewire works, but I hear that you can just use an interface with the analog inputs and the firewire connection will just run into the computer like an ethernet cable. If this is the case, what will I need to connect the cable to my PC. Do they make sound cards or whatnot that will connect the cable?

I'm sure the guy who sold you Nuendo, Sonar, and other recording software would be delighted to help you pick an interface. Retailers are always pleased to see somebody spend $3-4000 on merchandise and then return. Repeat business with the same merchant is also a great way to get heads-ups on deals in the future.

What if i told you you could get 16 simultaneous preamped signals into your computer for under $850, or $830.89 to be more precise. Ok two of these, and one of these. You may look and say, ooo behringer, nah no thanks, but read this. If you liked the thought of having a control surface, from sixways post, then check out the behringer bcf2000 for $180.

With the money you save you could buy a decent pair of monitors, decent mics, and most importantly room treatment.

Have you used the Behringer stuff? That looks like the cheapest way I have ever seen to get 16 tracks in? What's your take on it?

My only experience with Behringer has been a condenser mic, so I don't have much experience with it.

I used to have a behringer mixer, but didn't really have a clue how 2 work it well. So, not really. But most people say it's good for the money. I personally think it doesn't really matter too much. I record at the moment with cheap mics into a powered soundlab mixer, to a sound blaster sound card, and get workable results, so the behringer will certainly be a huge leap from what I'm using. I'm sure theres a cheaper way, but i can't find and interface with 16 TRS inputs. Only 8 or 24. I suggested a way to get 8 inputs for around $325. Read here.

I'm sure there are probably even cheaper ways, which probably include building parts yourself, but I've not found them yet. It's not hard 2 find cheap set-ups. You just need to know what you're looking for, lol.

I may have found the answer myself.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Recording/Computer/Hardware?sku=240116

$1000 and you get a completely digital interface with built in DSP effects. I have a ton on my current computer to add as well. And the firewire connection is cheap to setup, and gives me exactly what I need. I hope this is going to work how I think. We're just buying some good mics right now, I just ordered 3 Shure SM57s, and I'm buying a few others for the rest of the drum kit/vocals/multi-use. Anyone know what the quality of Mogami cables is? Supposed to be the best if you are willing to spend the money.

O, and this setup allows the addition of other mixers as well as the studio monitor outs. Its completely digital which is the best reason to get it. The posts made here were really great though and I will look into all the equipment. Thanks for anyone who posted and many more are welcome on this subject.

There Echo Audiofire has TRS inputs, I need XLR. The Mark of the Unicorn only has 8, but I can add more by plugging in a seperate mixer, or adding another rack mount.

nopoetic said:
There Echo Audiofire has TRS inputs, I need XLR. The Mark of the Unicorn only has 8, but I can add more by plugging in a seperate mixer, or adding another rack mount.

What do you mean you need XLR ?? You mean an interface that also has pre amps ?? If you mean your mixer has XLR output connections they have XLR to TRS cables .

Back