need help setting up audiophile 2496 & SF Vegas Pro

poprobot

hiya! i'm new to these here forums - hope y'all can gimme a hand here:

there must be someone out there running a similar system that can tell me EXACTLY how they have their 2496 and Vegas setup to record...

i've got the M-audio Audiophile 2496 (typical cheap-o soundcard) and a custom HP 1.2gHz Athlon PC w/ 256 MB RAM running Win ME (i know these are not the ideal specs or OS) i use Sonic Foundry Vegas Pro for multi-tracking and Sound Forge for editing

last year i did quite a bit of successful home recording with this very same setup. but then my hard drive froze up and died and i had to replace it. then i had to re-install windows and all my hardware peripherals (including the 2496) and software (including Vegas) ever since that day - i have been unable to successfully record with this setup. i don't think it's a hardware issue because i've tried re-seating the soundcard - checked all my cables, etc. but here's what's happening...

the M-audio control panel shows a signal in the record and playback meters - but when i open up Vegas - no signal in the meters. i have tried various routing profiles within Vegas' setup screen and have got the software to recognize the 2496 for recording OR playback but not both! for example - i can record sound with Vegas - but not play it back. after removing the card and re-seating it in another PCI slot - i was able to playback but NOT record... see why i am confused? i had this exact same setup working fine only one year ago!!!

could someone help walk me through the setup process again from scratch? i'm a bit daft and perhaps i am missing something!
thanks in advance!!!

Have you gone into the Control Panel, System, Device Manager, Sound to be sure there are no IRQ conflicts?

Have you gone into the Control Panel, Multimedia, to be sure the soundcard is selected as both the Record and Playback card?

Back