Need help identifying a jack on a TEAC 3 mixing board

Djard

In the attached pic, the back of a TEAC 3 mixer, you can see an unlabeled 1/4" phono jack at far left, just above the GND screw and power cable. The manual does not identify it. Is it for connecting another mixing board, or does it serve another purpose?

Attachments

• Teac 3.jpg
    Teac 3.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 18
Nope, the "Headphones" jack is next to the power cord (q.v.). But thanks for the educated guess.

I'm pretty sure that socket is a retro fit. I don't think the original had a socket there and there is nothing in the service manual to indicate another output. You'll need to pull the panel off and see where the wires go!

That's not on any version of a TEAC 3 I've seen. As it appears to be a line jack, my first guess would be an additional headphone or monitor out. If you have an expendable pair of headphones, plug 'em in.

I'm pretty sure that socket is a retro fit. I don't think the original had a socket there and there is nothing in the service manual to indicate another output. You'll need to pull the panel off and see where the wires go!
I agree. Mic inputs 7&8 have also been modded to jacks I am sure? The work has been well done but not something Tascam would have done.

Dave.

Question for the OP - Why are the submix ins connected to the cue outs? That patch makes little sense to me.

Those 2 inputs are for hi-Z mics. That's the way the unit was built.
In that case they must have ***k up 10,000 cases and got 8 holes punced for XLRs! WTF would they not just fit a jack as per other connections?

Been in fabrication a bit...'it'appen.

Dave.

In that case they must have ***k up 10,000 cases and got 8 holes punced for XLRs! WTF would they not just fit a jack as per other connections?

Been in fabrication a bit...'it'appen.

Dave.
It was no error. I knew the folks at TASCAM USA and this was what they requested the parent company to build.

Not at all odd. They knew from experience that many potential buyers would not have everything set up a complete system and wanted them to be able to plug in any garden-variety mic. Anyone needing 8 lo-Z mic inputs could purchase adaptors for those 2 holes.

Not at all odd. They knew from experience that many potential buyers would not have everything set up a complete system and wanted them to be able to plug in any garden-variety mic. Anyone needing 8 lo-Z mic inputs could purchase adaptors for those 2 holes.
Fair enough. Just looks a little 'inelegant' is all. I bet whoever designed it was really pissed when Neutrik invented the Combi XLR!

Dave.

"Anyone needing 8 lo-Z mic inputs could purchase adaptors for those 2 holes" So did those adaptors include a transformer or a balanced input pre amp with a bit more gain?

Dave.

The fellow from whom I bought the mixer (for $50) had another Teac 3 connected, he said for 16 channels. I don't see how that would be possible, for that would be a lot of info to send over two wires.

The jumpers connecting the eight Submix ins to the Cue outs is how the mixer came. I left them on to protect the jacks from dust and corrosion.

The board has not been used for a long time, so the six XLR inputs are super tight. I tried pushing a male plug in and out repeatedly in each jack about, until breaking out into a sweat; but a male plug is still difficult to push all the way in. Would it be safe to place some silicone on the pins with a Q-tip?

The fellow from whom I bought the mixer (for $50) had another Teac 3 connected, he said for 16 channels. I don't see how that would be possible, for that would be a lot of info to send over two wires.

The jumpers connecting the eight Submix ins to the Cue outs is how the mixer came. I left them on to protect the jacks from dust and corrosion.

The board has not been used for a long time, so the six XLR inputs are super tight. I tried pushing a male plug in and out repeatedly in each jack about, until breaking out into a sweat; but a male plug is still difficult to push all the way in. Would it be safe to place some silicone on the pins with a Q-tip?
2 of those could be cobbled together for 16 track operation. The TASCAM machines were all -10 in/out for quite some time, even their 16 tracks. I don't see how a bit of silicone would hurt anything but I'd try a different connector 1st. I've had some that fit tighter than others.

No, silicone oil is not a good metal to metal lubricant. Try the old favourite WD-40* (just a smear) However, what is the XLR plug you are using? I had some leads from Maplin years ago where I needed gas pliers to get the fekkers out! Neutrik and other quality brands have held their tolerances over the years. Many of the imports have not.

* I have two XLR inline couplers for mics in my garden. After a good downpour I sometimes get a hum. Next day I spray the connectors and the treatment lasts several weeks, depending on weather of course!

Dave.

I suppose you could use the two mix busses and a ground to link the two mixers? That would be a possibility? Come off the PCB just after the pan pots and link the two common rails to the next one?

All one needs to do is go from the buss outs of one unit into the buss ins of the other and then the submix outs of the 1st unit to the submix ins of the 2nd. You then have a 16X4 mixer. Proper gain staging is critical for best performance.

Back