Need help finding a good microphone for political commentators who do interviews/discussions over Zoom.

It could be true that NC's voice just annoys the software. I guess that it would be interesting to ask: Are there any people other than NC who have difficult voices whose voices are recorded well on Zoom? If so, that would prove that it's possible for a difficult voice to be picked up well on Zoom, and then there would be reason to think that the same could be achieved for NC's voice.

On this net worth thing, I'm curious to know if any footnotes are provided. The "celebritynetworth" website gave $5 million, but they didn't show their work or show how they came up with that figure. That's called gossip/slander.

You need footnotes, or else it's gossip/slander. It's funny, yes, but it's also silly. You can read silly stuff (with no footnotes) in the tabloids that you see when you're in line at the grocery store. But there are never any footnotes, sources, or explanations for where the crazy claims in the tabloids are coming from. It's just random assertions with no sourcing.
You are kind of all over the place.

I started putting a mic in front of things that make sounds at the age of 12 when I got a portable reel to reel. Like many here, some of us have decades invested in our skills. I'm not a believer that you can teach anyone this stuff. This is why I asked your relationship to Nom. It was to see if I could learn from your role, what your inherent skills are. Over the years I've done more than a few installs for house of worship. Invariably I'll get asked if I can show someone "how to do sound". Wish it were that easy. Although what you are asking is not inherently that difficult, you seem to lack the basic understandings of physics that underlie how all this works. You seem a poor student for this and an unlikely candidate for the role.

I will add your sense of urgency and demeanor are not helping you. There is this sense of insistence that you are entitled to the answers. Even when we have already given them. It reflects poorly on you that you continue to ask the same questions to which you've already been given multiple answers to. Are you this petulant with everyone you seek expertise from?

I have absolutely zero skills/knowledge. It's true. I'm just trying to learn as much as I can from you guys.

I sincerely apologize for coming across as insistent or urgent or entitled. I will try to be more courteous going forward.

I really do appreciate all of the excellent advice that you guys are offering, and I apologize if I don't express my gratitude/thanks enough in my comments.

I will make sure to do better in terms of my tone and demeanor and so on.

Thanks for all your help everyone. :)

There was an article I read on the home page. It said everyone is autistic to some degree. Don't feel alone. Adapt and overcome.

What can I tell Noam to do to remember to look at the webcam, not at the screen? The effect in this video that I just linked is that he comes across as looking downward, rather than looking at the viewers, since he's looking at the screen (not the camera).

What tip can I give him on this?

I heard that you can draw a smiley face on paper and put it below the camera to remind yourself. Where should that smiley-face go, ideally? Like, directly below the webcam, or...?

There are so many posts, someone may have already said this... if you like the sound of a podcast, check the description to see if the gear is listed, or contact the podcaster. Also note that it's not just the mic, but the mic preamp, maybe some EQ, etc., that is producing that great clarity, etc.

I heard that you can draw a smiley face on paper and put it below the camera to remind yourself. Where should that smiley-face go, ideally? Like, directly below the webcam, or...?
Above...You look ABOVE the camera...

Not into the camera, that hurts..That is a challenge you cannot win. The people will be gooning at each other in no time. Googley eye'd mo fo's

Do not lean into the camera. It owes no MAN.

Do not bow down to the camera , and look beneath it. NEVER bow down.

There's a simple way to have the person look at the camera... put the camera right in front of the screen, so when you look at the screen, you are also looking at the camera. People talk to PEOPLE, not to keyboards or cameras. You take your cues from the expressions on a person's face and their body language. If the camera is in a different place from the screen, then you miss that connection if you are just looking at the camera's lens.

People don't want to make a connection..They want their voices heard and understood. That has nothing to do with eye contact.

Surely, I speak for everyone.

Rich, if the camera is in front it would block my view.

Respect the person on the screen, and how he wishes to handle the confrontation. Perhaps Gandalf was bullied. Let him be.

There's a simple way to have the person look at the camera... put the camera right in front of the screen, so when you look at the screen, you are also looking at the camera. People talk to PEOPLE, not to keyboards or cameras. You take your cues from the expressions on a person's face and their body language. If the camera is in a different place from the screen, then you miss that connection if you are just looking at the camera's lens.
I know this is difficult unless you have the camera built into the machine, but I try and position my camera right in front of the screen. Depending what is behind the screen, camera mounted behind the screen, point to the face so you can get as much "perceived" eye contact as possible.

as much "perceived" eye contact as possible.
Yeah, but 3 seconds is too little, 10 seconds too much.

You get stupid women trying not to blink..Not sure if it fucks up their eye make up, or what.

Only make eye contact when the person says something important. Don't waste it.

Nobody is stating the obvious..

Screenshot 2021-03-25 125400.jpgScreenshot 2021-03-25 125447.jpg

Get him on a green screen, and add in some hobbits....for the interveiw.

Last edited:
1: Why does anybody ever apply noise-reduction software when we can see from the many videos pasted into this thread that all that does is screw things up?

2: Should I tell Noam to tell everyone to avoid the noise-reduction software? Would that be a useful thing for Noam to tell people?

Back