Need help choosing between mics!

willmcbeath

Hi everybody, this is my first post on this forum although I've been lurking for quite some time! Anyways, I'm looking at getting a new LDC mic for my little home studio, and I was wondering if all of you experienced people would have some input on this? I would primarily be recording my vocals (baritone/tenor) and acoustic guitar. My price range is like $300 to $400, so I had been looking on ebay for some used deals for more expensive mics, and had been looking at new ones too, and I'm kind of stuck. So far, I had looked at:

Blue Reactor
Blue Dragonfly
AKG c214
Stellar CM-6

I tried the AKG c214 and a Blue baby bottle out at the store and liked the AKG slightly better with my voice, but I don't know if the other mics would sound noticeably better or anything...if you have any experience with these mics or have any other suggestions, feel free to post them here! Thanks so much!!

I just wasn't sure if any of the other mics would sound better, but since I can't test them (they're not at guitar center or anything) I dont know! The AKG sounded good, but not as good as I would have liked...but then again thats always the case isnt it haha thanks anyways though!

The AKG sounded good, but not as good as I would have liked!

Budget mics that I have tried recently that impressed me on vocals (I'm baritone / tenor ) were the Rode NT1a..... The M-Audio Solaris..... The AKG Perception 420

All of these punch well above their weight/cost.... They can be found in excellent, used shape for about $150 each.... or $250 new.

Any of them, I suspect, would be a better fit with your voice than the C214 which I find to be a bit more suitable for instruments.

If you want to pay more coz it'll feel better to do so.... see if you can pick up an M-Audio Sputnik for about $500. They are excellent.

Paying more doesn't always get you more..... here's some more brain food.

Entry-level $200 Condenser Microphone Shootout | recording hacks

Mid-Price Microphones - The Five Best - MusicTech | MusicTech

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-...al-mics-capable-achieving-high-end-sound.html

Last edited:
A quick listen often produces a liking for the presence peak some mics have. When you get them home you find they're a bit bright. Would you buy a new car without doing a test drive and just listening to it rev up in the showroom?

Personally, I've never bought a mic I haven't actually used. The only microphone I would like is an AKG 414. I had one years ago, and really liked it. I sold my Neumann 87 at the same time, and I would not buy another of those unless it was really cheap. For what I do, it just didn't sound 'right'.

The only microphone I would like is an AKG 414. I had one years ago, and really liked it. I sold my Neumann 87 at the same time, and I would not buy another of those unless it was really cheap. For what I do, it just didn't sound 'right'.

There are a multitude of people that feel the same way about those microphones.

Blue Reactor
Blue Dragonfly
AKG c214
Stellar CM-6

!!

Have you listened to an AT4040? I compared a 4040 to an AKG214, Id go with the AT4040. I settled on a Neumann 103 because it suits what I do, but those are more like 600.00 used.

Check out an AT4040, good luck!

Back