Need help choosing a used mixer for drama program

jonnylbluejeans

Before I revived a decade old thread (where my post would fit perfectly), I wanted to post my question here.

I am helping my wife with her homeschool drama program in the lighting and sound department. I wrote a program to handle all of the DMX lighting as well as sound queues. The music and sound effects are connected to my little Behringer Xenyx via USB. If this was all I was doing, I'd be fine. However, we are miking up to 16 kids at once with lavalieres and we need individual control on a mixing board. This is where my current problem lies.

I need a mixer with at least 16 XLR inputs and at least 1 channel to use for the sound effects and music. Since we run our main out to the house system, a powered mixer is not needed.

We are doing this for the kids and expenses are out of pocket. That said, I have maybe $200-$300 to spend on a mixer. Local to me, I can purchase a pristine Behringer MX3242x which seems like it would TOTALLY meet my needs. My only concern is its age. Well, that... and if someone had a recommendation on a better mixer for the money.

I know that for near the $500 range, I would be reaching up to the Peavey PV20 or Behringer PMP6000. Our funds are just limited and I want to make the wisest decision possible.

I welcome any helpful input. Thanks guys/gals.

I'd be looking for a Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro. But whatever you get you should check it out thoroughly, connecting a mic to each channel and checking the various outputs.

Other manufacturers to watch for would be Yamaha (particularly the MG series), Allen and Heath and Soundcraft. (They all have various mixers that would fit your bill so I won't get down to specific models). I know of a number of mixers from each still in use after 15+ years. In particular, my son's school still has the Yamaha MG I recommended to them when he was in grade 11 (or the UK equivalent) and he's 31 now!

I'd be careful with Behringer. Even though I own some of their gear, it IS at the economy end of the market and, with things like mixers, once they start to go wrong it can get terminal pretty fast.

Yeah, a few year old Behringer is one thing... 15 - 20 is another.

OK, so Mackie 1604 VLZ, Yamaha MG, some A&H and Soundcraft. I will keep my eyes open.

Thanks much. Any other suggestion for my list? I welcome any advise.

Back