Need Help Choosing A Mic

jweb

I need a bit of help. Im relatively new at the whole home recording thing but over the last year or so with reading plenty of books, forums, and simply asking around i have come to the conclusion that the next purchase i make is going to need to be a large diaphragm condensor mic. I was looking around online an came across the MXL 4000 which seems, theoreticaly, to be a good deal. However it does seem fishy that a mic listed at $1,199.00 would be selling everywhere online for $200.00. Any information on this mic or suggestions on others would be GREATLY appreciated.Thanx.

I need a bit of help. Im relatively new at the whole home recording thing but over the last year or so with reading plenty of books, forums, and simply asking around i have come to the conclusion that the next purchase i make is going to need to be a large diaphragm condensor mic. I was looking around online an came across the MXL 4000 which seems, theoreticaly, to be a good deal. However it does seem fishy that a mic listed at $1,199.00 would be selling everywhere online for $200.00. Any information on this mic or suggestions on others would be GREATLY appreciated.Thanx.

That happens all the time with Chinese mics. They come up with absurdly inflated suggested retail prices and then get sold for a fraction of that.

Here are a couple of threads talking about the 4000:

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=256358&highlight=MXL+4000
https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=269322&highlight=MXL+4000

BTW, you could get B-stock versions (refurb or scratch-and-dent) for $169 at Music123 last time I checked.

Where does it list for $1,200? Everywhere I look has it at $200.

Frank

Well its selling everywhere for $200 but if you go to musicians friend for example it has it listed at $1,200. I tried to post a link but i guess i havent made enough post yet im new to this forum

Well its selling everywhere for $200 but if you go to musicians friend for example it has it listed at $1,200. I tried to post a link but i guess i havent made enough post yet im new to this forum

I see. Yeah, that's purely marketing fluff. Pay no attention to it.

Frank

ya thats what i was thinking. I wanted to believe it though haha. So any suggestions of other mic's?

ya thats what i was thinking. I wanted to believe it though haha. So any suggestions of other mic's?

Look at the Studio Projects stuff...they're very decent for the price. Also look at the Shure KSM series...the KSM27 is it your budget. I like that mic a lot...I've got one in my locker.

Frank

Back