Need a realistic 88key weighted MIDI controller

cortexx

I know I know searching brings up some threads but I want to know if anything new and amazing has been released before i make a decision.

I want as close to a piano as possible for feel ( weighted 88 keys ) for my piano practice. I have a problem where when i go for piano practice it takes about 15 monutes to adjust to the weighted feel as everything I have at home is synth action.

I dont need necessarily piano sounds as i have a plethora of synths for that , just need the best quality weighted 88 key keyboard that i can lay my sweaty little hands on.

Looking at the 88 key maudio prokeys

and the CME 88 key controller.(edited due to dyslexia :D )

unless of course any of you have any other suggestions ? :D

Last edited:
The M-Audio Prokeys gets some good input. Has decent bread and butter sounds, and the action is pretty decent - but - some say the action is a little "spongy" to them. I tried one out locally, and I prefer the action of my Yamaha S80 (which is balanced hammer action). If you don't need sounds, M-Audio also has a Keystation Pro 88. Haven't tried one, but reviewers on sites seem to like the feel.

(EDIT) Not familiar with an MCE 88 controller...you talking about CME? If so, the CME UF8 controller apparently has hammer-action derived from Yamaha pianos. I'd like to try one of these.

The best option, if it's an option for you, is to head out somewhere and try something out. That's what led me to the S80.

Last edited:
cortexx said:
I live in Ontario and most shops here do not have stock so i am relying alot on you guys ;)

Sorry about that - it really helps to try them out :(

I edited my initial post a little bit. M-audio has another offering that I hadn't thought of, and I wanted to clarify "MCE 88"

TexRoadkill said:
I really like the action on the Yamahas. If you just need piano check out their P series keyboards.

Couldn't agree more. Dare I say it might be the best action out there? :D

I personally prefer Fatar keyboards (studiologic). Maudio sucks action-wise, as does CME.

I really wanted CME to be decent. *Sigh*. Otherwise, nice keyboard.

which one do you use fraser ?

they have a few on their website , price isnt an issue , quality and realism is.

thanks

I use a sl-990 and an sl-880.

It is just a controller, olf course, no sound, and the touch and action on the weighted keyboard models are pretty much the same, so the difference between those models would be the controls they offer (midi control, zones, etc).

But the touch and action are excellent, for me anyways.
cortexx said:
which one do you use fraser ?

they have a few on their website , price isnt an issue , quality and realism is.

thanks

I just made this purchase myself. I played a bunch of digital pianos and midi controllers and decided on the M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 which IS fully weighted. First thing I should mention is that M-Audio reworked the action on this keyboard from when it was originally released, at guitar center I played both the older and newer versions and the difference was huge. The old action sucked, kinda felt like semi-weighted crap, but the new action is not bad at all. I had a studiologic right next to it and to be honest I did not feel much of a difference, the studiologic felt a little better but just a little and the M-Audio has a lot more midi control options and USB midi option which I like. The only digital pianos/controllers that I felt really captured the action of real pianos were the yamahas and I didn't want to spend $1000 for one of the nicer models. The P70 sounded shitty as did the M-Audio Prokeys 88 (the mid to mid high piano notes were thin and digital sounding). In the end, I picked the keystation because I found the action to be suprisingly good (based on some of the negative reviews I've heard) and it seemed to have everything I needed and more for the price (which was lower than the other products allowing me to buy reason pianos which I think sounds great!). Hope this helps, I spent a few days at noisy guitar centers coming to these conclusions.

Thanks tape, lots of good info .

I asked about the studiologic models at the store last night and they arn't able to get them in so i may not be able to get one anyway.

They do have an M-audio prokeys on order and if i dont like it when it comes in ill have to buy something else online instead , i may travel to Toronto and see if any of the music stores up there have the studiologics and maybe the yamaha`s.

I mentioned the Yamaha`s in the local store and they said yamaha`s support is horrible and tried to persude me to by Korg lol .

cortexx said:
...I mentioned the Yamaha`s in the local store and they said yamaha`s support is horrible and tried to persude me to by Korg lol .

Whatever. The two experiences I've had with Yamaha support were fine. Got quick responses via email, and had to phone once for parts. I'd take a Yammie over a Korg ANYDAY.

I have a korg karma and a korg radias and both keyboards are pieces of junk. Where as my virus ti has a really great keyboard.

I think the Nord lead 3 had the worst of all though .

Novation x-station has a really nice semi weighted synth action keyboard and my andromeda is pretty much the same quality as the nova.

I wish i had a yamaha dealer around here , then i could try it out for myself.

Actually i was kinda toying with the idea of selling the karma and getting an 88 key roland fantom x8 , any of you have experience with this machine ? I could have 1 unit doing the job of 2 then

Well I went to toronto and tried out a few keyboards , kurzweil , roland , maudio , yamaha and a few others , after about 4 hours of playing around , a pair of sweaty ears from headphones and a salesman suffering from drymouth syndrome because of all the help he gave me, i impulse bought a Roland fantom X8

right now im staring at it's unopened box :D feeling somewhat sick!

it has the closest feel in my opinion to the piano i use in my lessons and will replace my karma as a workstation at the same time.

so who wants a korg karma , absolute mint condition , ver 2.0 software , has had all of it's shots etc and has no marks ? ;)

cortexx said:
Well I went to toronto and tried out a few keyboards , kurzweil , roland , maudio , yamaha and a few others , after about 4 hours of playing around , a pair of sweaty ears from headphones and a salesman suffering from drymouth syndrome because of all the help he gave me, i impulse bought a Roland fantom X8

right now im staring at it's unopened box :D feeling somewhat sick!

it has the closest feel in my opinion to the piano i use in my lessons and will replace my karma as a workstation at the same time.

so who wants a korg karma , absolute mint condition , ver 2.0 software , has had all of it's shots etc and has no marks ? ;)

Man, the Fantom is a nice machine! I've played around with one for a couple hours, and almost impulsed myself into more debt. I've always been a Yamaha fan, but have owned Rolands (XP80) as well.

Anyway, enjoy the board and the pretty damn good grand piano patches.

taperocket said:
I just made this purchase myself. I played a bunch of digital pianos and midi controllers and decided on the M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 which IS fully weighted. First thing I should mention is that M-Audio reworked the action on this keyboard from when it was originally released, at guitar center I played both the older and newer versions and the difference was huge. The old action sucked, kinda felt like semi-weighted crap, but the new action is not bad at all. I had a studiologic right next to it and to be honest I did not feel much of a difference, the studiologic felt a little better but just a little and the M-Audio has a lot more midi control options and USB midi option which I like. The only digital pianos/controllers that I felt really captured the action of real pianos were the yamahas and I didn't want to spend $1000 for one of the nicer models. The P70 sounded shitty as did the M-Audio Prokeys 88 (the mid to mid high piano notes were thin and digital sounding). In the end, I picked the keystation because I found the action to be suprisingly good (based on some of the negative reviews I've heard) and it seemed to have everything I needed and more for the price (which was lower than the other products allowing me to buy reason pianos which I think sounds great!). Hope this helps, I spent a few days at noisy guitar centers coming to these conclusions.

So how does one ensure they are buying the Keystation Pro 88 with the improved action?

Is there some way to tell when I go to GC that I am getting the newer model?

Um, play it?

From my experiences with Maudio controllers, if it's playable at all it MUST be the newer model.

brzilian said:
So how does one ensure they are buying the Keystation Pro 88 with the improved action?

Is there some way to tell when I go to GC that I am getting the newer model?

Ill just say i'm glad i got to try the M-audio before decided . It was probably the worst of the bunch , felt like there were spunges under the keys.

The Casio PX555 piano had a suprisingly good action but the Korg triton was a steaming pile of brown stuff.

The Yammy mo8 was pretty nice and had decent action but slightly on the heavy side for me after about 15 minutes I could feel it in my palms :cool: probably something that i would adapt to but i am after all looking for something that is close to what i play on in lesson time.

And forget the Alesis Fusion , it's about as useful for piano feel as a chocolate teapot is at holding boiling water.

The Roland was my favourite with the yammy close behind , i'm a roland fan (v-synth,jup8,jp8080,sh101) so that swayed my judgement alot .

It's still in the box , I still feel sick in the pit of my stomach :D

i'll hook it up tommorrow

I agree 100% on the action of the Maudio - I actually was considering writing a letter to them admonishing them for even calling it weighted action :)

I am also with you on the Korg keyboards. I have never even considered buying keyboard versions of their stuff - modules all the way. Love their synths, hate the keyboards.

That is EXACTLY why I go with a dedicated controller - I get that out of that factoring when looking at a synth. I think you would have liked the StudioLogic....

cortexx said:
Ill just say i'm glad i got to try the M-audio before decided . It was probably the worst of the bunch , felt like there were spunges under the keys.

The Casio PX555 piano had a suprisingly good action but the Korg triton was a steaming pile of brown stuff.

The Yammy mo8 was pretty nice and had decent action but slightly on the heavy side for me after about 15 minutes I could feel it in my palms :cool: probably something that i would adapt to but i am after all looking for something that is close to what i play on in lesson time.

And forget the Alesis Fusion , it's about as useful for piano feel as a chocolate teapot is at holding boiling water.

The Roland was my favourite with the yammy close behind , i'm a roland fan (v-synth,jup8,jp8080,sh101) so that swayed my judgement alot .

It's still in the box , I still feel sick in the pit of my stomach :D

i'll hook it up tommorrow

Last edited:
Back