Here's my current cymbal setup:

Hi-Hats: Top- Zildjian ??? (old)
Bottom-Paiste ??? (old)

Crashes: Zil. A Med Thin 16"
Zil. A Med 16"
Zil. A Medium 18"

Ride Zil Bronze Scimitar 20"

China "Camber" 18"

Basically I bought all these when I was in high school and my only source of income was cutting lawns and shoveling snow. Welll enuff of that sad story....

I'm looking to upgrade my setup with new hi-hats, a ride, and a china.

I play mostly rock and metal and I need something that sounds good for the basement and on stage.

Any opinions on what I should get...

My current possibilites are a 14" Dyno Beat hat, or 14" Rock hats

Maybe a 20" Rock Ride

and either a 20" A China Boy (what's the sound difference between high and low?) or a 19" K China (Lars uses these and I like the sound)

Anyway please respond and limit the choices to Zildjian (I know I know) Thanks!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cobra67:

I'm looking to upgrade my setup with new hi-hats, a ride, and a china.

I play mostly rock and metal and I need something that sounds good for the basement and on stage.

Any opinions on what I should get...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Get the Hi-hats that have the FLAT PLATE for a Bottom Cymbal-I can't remember if that's the Dyno's or not-I sold mine in 1980, and the letters were all worn off.
Anyway, those kicked butt and were my favorite Hi-hats by Zildjian.
Either that or the K/Z combination is great also.(These I had 13"'s on an Xhat).

For China's-Check out Wuhan's!
It's what Neil Peart uses-and you can get an 18" Wuhan for $55 NEW.
I've found that the "Cheaper the Metal"-the better the China's sound.

Get them from Interstate Music.

I think it's
http://www.interstatemusic.com

Ask for their Drum Catalog-they sell Individual drums in all the lines, so you could try to get some idea what your kit will run you-and give you a target range to be saving for.

Hell, if You went with Pearl Exports-you can get 2 18x22"" Kicks with 10"x10" & 10"x12" mounted, 14"x14" & 16"x16" Floor Toms for LESS than $1,000.00
And they are even offering it in my favorite color-MIRRORED CHROME! Hahah

So just cheeck oput the prices.

I personally am not a fan of Tama. I don't know why. I just always thought that Pearl was a better brand of hardware.

Tim

Have to agree with Tim on the hardware issue right off the bat. PEarl hs great drums, but their hardware is what really sold me on them.

Cobra...
I had an old set of hats (I think they were the dynobeats) and they're perfect for metal. Very heavy. Very chinky. If it's the same hat, they're hammered with a star pattern mallet on the bottom and an octagon mallet on the top cymbal. (Or I've got the wrong ones altogether...) Definately check out the Wuhans Tim mentioned. IF you need a really loud and trashy china (which I'm assuming) Check out the Latin Percussion Rantan (18") as well....hope it helps.
Oh yeah..as for the ride..I had an 18" medium crash/ride that I LOVED! IT had a great bell, a nice bow and you could really get it singing if you rode it good and hard.

[This message has been edited by drumdummie (edited 07-17-2000).]

Well I bought my new cymbals. I went strictly with the "A" Zildjian line. Yeah, yeah I totally marked off of Neil Peart. Anywho here's what I got: 20" China Low, 14" New Beat Hi-hats, and 22" Ping Ride. I'd like to add more cymbals but I do play a small drumset (2 bass drums,snare,2 toms, 1 floor tom). All those cymbals around so few drums gets to be cluttered if you know what I mean. I may add a little Splash (10" or 12"??) and maybe a little 18" REALLY trashy China on the opposite side of the set. Anyway thanks for the input. Later.

Can't go wrong with the 14" New Beats....good all-around hi-hats.
I've tried just about every type of hardware and Pearl is all I'll ever use. I actually have old Ludwigs but every piece of hardware is Pearl.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RichB:
Can't go wrong with the 14" New Beats....good all-around hi-hats.
I've tried just about every type of hardware and Pearl is all I'll ever use. I actually have old Ludwigs but every piece of hardware is Pearl.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm in a similar situation.
I built my kit myself; I wanted a pair of 16" x 28" kicks, and nobody would make them for me, so I wound up building the set.

For stands I got all Pearls. I was kind of disappointed that Pearl changed from the "gearless" tilter to one with teeth, though.

Tim

Back