Nearly finished "Learn"

Great sounds! That's a killer reverb you've got going too.

Love your voice. Expressive...

Great song and mix. No complaints.

Tom

skids said:
The acoustic seems too left heavy or needs something to offset it.

I came very close to saying I wanted more guitar out of the right side. But I kinda enjoyed the imbalance here for some reason. I guess it felt like being in the room and the guitarist was just on the left at the time.
I also craved a few harmonies.

Tom

Very nice spacious sparse sound. What's your gear (preamp, mic, daw, etc.)? How'd you record the drums?

Is this song a remake of the other one? At first I thought it was a different song, but they're quite similar, so then I thought maybe it's a remake.

Good job,
macle

ps-is your band called The Residents? Cuz there's already a very famous band with that name.

Wow thanks guys,

Echomancer, That's really kind of you to say so. It's all going to be a while. I'm no pro so the recording is taking me ages. I also have a nasty repetative strain injury in my left arm which is slowing down the geetar parts a lot. I am however a web developer so I should really get round to doing that LOL

Macle, we were going to be called the residents........I bought the url in a fit of madness THEN did a search to see if there were any other bands called that. DOH!! :p We are thinking of another one (we've been called "resound" for the last 7 years!! )

Gear: pc running cubase sx, sta dsp2000 card, joe meeq mq3, sm57 x 2, red 5 audio rv4 x 2, red 5 audio rv15, mackie HR824 monitors, audio technica athm40 cans.

Drums: the kit is a yamaha stage custom. We borrowed a crappy old metal snare for this song. Heavily damped the kit (room is upstairs, very resonant) 1xsm57 above the snare (detuned a fair bit) 2 more sm57s on toms (borrowed 1) 1x rv4 as single overhead (had a dodgy soundcard connecter which meant we got bad crackle if inputs 7-8 were on!!) akg cheap bass mic near beater, rv4 about 1' out from the kick drum shell. All mics went into a cheapy behringer mixer (borrowed) with the snare going into the meeq first (very light compression no eq)

I listened to this again on my monitors. Man, you've got it. This is probably the best thing I've heard here. The drums are great (I wish I had a good resonant room). The vocal is clear and warm, and has great tone, and nice and up front, can't believe you're getting that with a Meek mq3 and fairly cheap mic, just goes to show you. My only complaints (if I may), the guitar (which is played great, very aggressive style, which is cool), is a little plincky sounding, if you know what I mean. Could be a little fuller/warmer, especially when it's by itself. Maybe the mic was too far away, or not the right mic, or something. Also, the melody gets a little monotonous, maybe change it up more, or some backing vocals coming in a bit might give the chorus a push or something. The strings, man that's cool, I may hit up that guy (did he do it for free?) Did you record the band together, live (other than the strings, of course)?

I've really got to take a lesson from you sparsers, great sound.

Big thumb's up,

macle

p.s.-if you want to be more commercial :-)p :) ), I would definitately shorten the first part before the drums kick in. Or maybe have 2 mixes, a radio edit, and a CD edit :).

Cheers guys.

Mackle, I don't really like the sound of the main guitar. The first time we recorded this (98) the guitar was much more simple, too much so. This time I think I have gone too far the other way, It's to "strummy" So I'm going to redo it once i find a better guitar/mic combination. As for the strings, Brad and I have an arrangement.
The parts were recorded seperately and layered up. Thanks for the comments mate.

CyanJaguar, thanks. What's a wildcard offering? Or shouldn't I ask :p

Cheers,

Ian..........

I hope you don't hate "this reminds me of" comments, but I've listened to a lot of David Gray over the past couple of years, and this just reminds me of everything I like about him.

You know, on your other track, you and I need to have a talk about the autotune...If you're using it out of necessity and not for effect, then you can definitely make it more transparent of you want.

Anyway...tastey choices with the delay on the vocal on this, and the whole mix is really wide, which I like, b/c I recently blew out my monitors, lol...so this "review" is on the cans.

I also love the clean electric tone; it reminds me of (here I go again) M. Knopfler.

Obviously, I absolutely love both of the artists that I've made comparisons to here. I like this recording better, but I think I like the other song better.

Anyway, you rule.
Chris

I don't know if there is a problem with the mp3, or maybe there was a problem with my download - but the song cut out very abruptly at 3:13. Just as the electric git was starting up. :(

Nice stuff Ian. Nothing to criticize here. I agree that you could have gotten a bit nicer sound out of the acoustic, but it's not bad at all just as is. Really depends on what you're going for.

Vocals, guitar, violin, song writing are all top notch. I enjoyed this (wish I had heard the whole thing :) ).

man.....very nice.........the strings are great.......how did you record those?

awesome song....great vocals.........the drums are nice too

CyanJaguar said:
not a wildcard offering...

dude, shut up with the whole 'wild card' thing. it is really annoying. nobody - i mean nobody - in the business uses that term. wild card your green gills right out the fucking door jackspill.

Damn, that's a nicely recorded tune. Singer reminds me a little of Ryan Adams (latest stuff where he affects this Elton John kinda voice). Really nice, crisp wide recording.

Nothing to bitch about on this one. Stamp it "done".

Chris

Back