Nearly finished "Learn"

IanW-UK

Hi all,

I've been recording this tune on off for a while now and I think I'm nearly done. Was hoping you guys could have a listen and see if I'm on the right track?

Cheers,

Ian............

You're definitely on the right track, IMO. This is a cool tune (I liked the "weird acoustic" thing you posted a while back, too). Great clean tone on the lead. Real violin?

Nothing major mix-wise really jumps out at me after the first couple of listens. Maybe put more of the acoustic in the right side. I'd trust your judgment from hearing this mix though. Sounds good to me.

Wow, this is a great sounding track. You have a very unique voice.

If I had to complain about something I would have the full band in a bit earlier, I think the acoustic part of it lingers a tad long, maybe bring everything in around the 1:10 mark.

Thanks guys,

pglewis, there's another simple guitar part going on the right that has yet to be recorded :)

Lynx, thanks I think you may well be right on that one. I am going to experiment with bringing the rest in earlier either where you say or at the point where it drops down to just the guitar.

Thanks again for the comments, much appreciated :)

Hey, where ya been? I really dig your stuff. "The Escape" and "The Residents" have solid spots on my play list, as will this one. Post more!

IanW-UK said:
Hi all,

I've been recording this tune on off for a while now and I think I'm nearly done. Was hoping you guys could have a listen and see if I'm on the right track?

Cheers,

Ian............

great song!

Thanks guys.

Fprod, I've been really buzy lately so not been on here much (well not at all) and ok I'll post another up in a mo' :)

Cheers,

Ian........

I want your album...

I hear a bit of David Gray meets Coldplay.

This song is incredible sir. Props to you. I'm not the one to be giving mixing advice, but I really enjoyed this track.

Props to you!

like the acoustic much. you are the guy from coldplay right? what are you doing here?

so you're not using autotune on this? why'd you decide to use it on the other tune.

ooooo. i like the drums. loops?

same comment i left on the last one. needs backups in the chorus imo.

no mixing comments except maybe a little more volume on the bass guitar.

oh, nice electric guitar.

i really like the sounds you're choosing over all.

what's the reverb? it's nice.

Cheers erichenryus, surely this one doesn't sound like Coldplay aswell?? It's over 5 years old. Damn Coldplay :p

I used autotune on the other one just because we didn't have enough time to get a more in tune take. It was quite a bit out and the tune is slightly above my singer's vocal range.

The reverb is waves renaissance verb on both tunes.

Cheers,

Ian.........

kick ass. the guitar reminds of a cross between hedges and don ross. Very nice. The vocals kicked ass. Great voice.

I really liked that the drums held off for so long. It surprised me and added a new dimension when they kicked in, helped the tune move along very well.

there's another simple guitar part going on the right that has yet to be recorded

Yup, you have it all under control.

pglewis said:
I really liked that the drums held off for so long. It surprised me

Awwww man, I was all ready to shorten the first half and now I'm all confused :p What you said is exactly what I was aiming for, and until you said it I just figured It hadn't worked. More thinking to do..................Actually maybe I should leave the tune alone for a few days and listen again with fresh ears.

Cheers bud :)

This is great.

Hi there. Amazing violins (really wow) and this is the best guitar. Yes ofcourse your voice is just georgeous too, a really great rough edge that is awsome.

When the drums come in I just melt with those strings. Jealous, very cool. I want strings!

This is really pro. Coldplay? who are they...

Anyway, cheers. bloody enjoyed this.

Erland

This is a really great song!

I shouldn't complain about anything as I like it so much but:

The acoustic seems too left heavy or needs something to offset it.

Some backing vocals on the chorus would also be nice.

Still, I really enjoyed it. The reverb sounded real nice. Violin rocked. Now I have to listen your other post! :D

please oh please oh plesae finish this track, your album, and your website. It's actually been a LONG time since I've been this excited about someone's music, let alone someone who I met on the internet who is just doing it for "fun" :)

Back