My Roland FP-7f gives a loud white noise, please help

joelsandberg

I have this problem with my Roland FP-7f. I bought it about half a year ago and didn't think much about it, but then I began noticing a lot of noise in my recordings. I thought the problem was with my Soundcard but after trying multiple different soundcards I noticed that the noise is actually coming from my Roland FP-7f.

If I put my ear right in front of the piano's speakers I can hear the noise very low, but it's clearly noticable when playing and listening through Headphones. Even when not playing any notes I can hear the noise.

This is starting to bug me as this should be a very high quality piano.

I've read somewhere that a so called ground loop could cause interference with soundcards and such, does this apply to Pianos also? I would hate to have to send it for repair or such..

I also read that balanced cables could protect from interference? I was hoping this would solve my problem but later read that the Roland FP-7f doesn't have balanced outputs...

I'm out of ideas, So please, has anyone had this issue or does anyone know what might be the problem and how to solve it?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
"White noise" is like a hissing, or the continous ocean waves crashing on the beach - is this what you are hearing? When you turn the volume up on your Roland, does the noise get louder? If so, then there's something not-right in the output section of the instrument. Have you tried the output from the two line out jacks? If the noise is there as well, it's not the built-in amp. You could also try recording via USB direct to WAV to see if the noise comes through that way, too.
A $2000 piano should not be noisy!

Back