My project HDD fried.

jimmys69

MOODerator
Any recommendations on who to send the drive for data recovery?

Thankfully I back up projects once a week so didn't lose too much, but lost 20 hours of recording this week and some other files I didn't bother to back up.

Drive went 'clicky' for a few. Tried to save the data but it quickly failed completely before I was able to retrieve the data. Lame....

If you want to try yourself, give ZAR (Zero Assumption Recovery) a go. It's what saved the data on my external hard drive after it fell from desk to floor one day.

Man, does that suck big time. I have no idea which software package works the best for you. I'm sure you're willing to spend some money to recover the data, as I would be too, so I'd say go with the big names and spend a little bit for some reliability and confidence.

Let us know how you make out.

If you want to try yourself, give ZAR (Zero Assumption Recovery) a go. It's what saved the data on my external hard drive after it fell from desk to floor one day.

Trying. So far it cant identify the drive. But still working...

---------- Update ----------

Man, does that suck big time. I have no idea which software package works the best for you. I'm sure you're willing to spend some money to recover the data, as I would be too, so I'd say go with the big names and spend a little bit for some reliability and confidence.

Let us know how you make out.

Money really isn't the issue. Time is.

I suppose I will be throwing cash out of my ass tomorrow....

Man, that sucks majorly... :mad: Good luck with getting it back!

Just remember if you do it yourself jimmy that everything's either a one or a zero. Shouldn't see any twos in there at all... :thumbs up:

Man, that sucks majorly... :mad: Good luck with getting it back!

Just remember if you do it yourself jimmy that everything's either a one or a zero. Shouldn't see any twos in there at all... :thumbs up:

All I see is zero's for the next few weeks. Looks like $700 to hopefully get the data off the failed drive.

Fuck me!....

I saw on FB you've tried USBing the drive to another machine.
As stupid as it sounds....try all your machines, and try a mac! (I know...I know)

I rescued several years of photography from a friends 'dead' windows drive recently. Wasn't recognised at all by several laptops but eventually, and at a certain angle (not joking), i got it to spin up on my macbook pro.

It took a LOOONG time and several goes, but eventually I backed up about 100gb of stuff.
If you're lucky enough to get that far, do your copies in very small chunks. No big folders.

Last edited:
There are three other options if all else fails.

1 stick the drive in a freezer. Sometimes the cold will free up the arm.
2 hit the side of the case with a hammer. This sometimes does the same thing
3 disassemble the drive and rebuild in another case.

I saw on FB you've tried USBing the drive to another machine.
As stupid as it sounds....try all your machines, and try a mac! (I know...I know)

I rescued several years of photography from a friends 'dead' windows drive recently. Wasn't recognised at all by several laptops but eventually, and at a certain angle (not joking), i got it to spin up on my macbook pro.

It took a LOOONG time and several goes, but eventually I backed up about 100gb of stuff.
If you're lucky enough to get that far, do your copies in very small chunks. No big folders.

Yeah, after some quality time in the freezer it stopped clicking and spins smoothly. But still not recognized. Windows says 'you must format the drive'.

Time to take it to a clean room and have the pro's retrieve my data. There are numerous small projects that I also need off the drive so messing around and taking the risk of losing data is not really an option. Just gotta pay the price to get it done.

Sucks but shit happens right?

Cloud backup time now. Yuck! It just money.....

Acronis is a good software if the data can be read. It just copies data to another drive using zero's, not looking for format. It has its own boot system. Might work, I've used it before when a drive can't be recognized. Usually the data is good, but the controller went bad.

I have Acronis around here somewhere. :)

Just got this estimate from WeRecoverData.com

'Your recovery fee is based on the complexity of the recovery and the amount of work necessary to retrieve it. If you feel the price is too high, you can decline the recovery at no charge.

The general price range for a Windows/Mac formatted drive is $500-$2500. If the drive is detected by the computer or the BIOS the majority of these cases fall within $250-$900. If the drive is not detected by the computer or the BIOS the majority of these cases are $700-$1500. On severe water or fire damaged drives, or for complex SSD (Solid State Drive) recoveries the price can go as high as $5000 per drive.We have flexible payment plan options as well, with payments starting as little as $50/month'.

Argh... :facepalm:

Try the Acronis first, see what it brings you. I have had good luck with it and it is non-destructive. So it shouldn't cause any harm or look for software that can do it. I just mentioned Acronis as I have used it in the past.

Here is a link to a review of software: Disk Recovery Software

It looks like a legit site for reviews. But for a couple of bucks on a gamble is worth it based on the recovery prices you mentioned.

Did you try datatech off Quincy. Didn't think they were that high...Been a long time since I've needed a recovery.

I use Memeo Autosync and let it do it's thing unless I'm actually tracking or converting (at which point I pause all syncs until finished). Works like a charm and no need for recovery ever. Give it a try for future headache free backups. Really sucks, dude.

There are three other options if all else fails.

1 stick the drive in a freezer. Sometimes the cold will free up the arm.
2 hit the side of the case with a hammer. This sometimes does the same thing
3 disassemble the drive and rebuild in another case.

I was thinking something along the same lines.. if you can do surgery. Buy the exact replacement and swap out platters.

The freezer/hammer ideas seem much easier to try.

Did you try datatech off Quincy. Didn't think they were that high...Been a long time since I've needed a recovery.

I use Memeo Autosync and let it do it's thing unless I'm actually tracking or converting (at which point I pause all syncs until finished). Works like a charm and no need for recovery ever. Give it a try for future headache free backups. Really sucks, dude.

These guys? lol! A buddy of mine (actually the guy who recorded last week that tracks were lost) sent me this photo as he works next door.

Waiting til they open to get a quote. Meanwhile drive back in freezer. Can't find my Acronis disk. :(

Attachments

• Datatech.jpg
    Datatech.jpg
    359.2 KB · Views: 27
I have Acronis around here somewhere. :)

Just got this estimate from WeRecoverData.com

'Your recovery fee is based on the complexity of the recovery and the amount of work necessary to retrieve it. If you feel the price is too high, you can decline the recovery at no charge.

The general price range for a Windows/Mac formatted drive is $500-$2500. If the drive is detected by the computer or the BIOS the majority of these cases fall within $250-$900. If the drive is not detected by the computer or the BIOS the majority of these cases are $700-$1500. On severe water or fire damaged drives, or for complex SSD (Solid State Drive) recoveries the price can go as high as $5000 per drive.We have flexible payment plan options as well, with payments starting as little as $50/month'.

Argh... :facepalm:

A payment plan for data recovery.... :( That says a lot about our society right there.

Back