My Own Catastrophe

Very good track, James!
Nice voice and harmonies. Wish I could hear the rythm guitar on both sides though, but that's just my taste. NIce mix, well done!

Joey :):):):)

Thanks Joey,

I still have to add an acoustic guitar to the entire track. All I have is my ovation and I have become less and less impressed with the results with that guitar as I have become a more mature engineer. I am going to borrow my friend's martin asap though.
There is a cleaner electric guitar on the left that I am fighting to bring out because it is actually a pretty neat part.

Thanks again!

-jD

WOW! That cut has a LOT of good things in it. Dry, raw, melodic, no cramping of layers.....your voice has presence...almost too pitch-correct to be true. An intellegent production and arrangement. I love the song. Unique...I hear blues, metal, punk, all sorts of stuff thrown into your own tastee version of the way things oughtta be.

A perfect alt/college FM playlist candidate. Catchy?? Oh yeah... Gonna go back and listen to more of your stuff..
Way to go. Wish I did it. Thanks for bringing it BTTT

Oops...nothing else there. D'OH!

ps...just curious...did you wake up one morning with this tune playing in your head? Doesn't sound like a contrived thing...more like a gift from the muse. The one quality , above all others that I like, is the 'edge' without slop and forced genuiness. That's a very rare and in-demand thing...of which I have little ability to craft in my own stuff. I have received messages from publishers begging for it before they'll consider representing me. I don't know how to make it...but I know it when I hear it. You got it.

Last edited:
WOW! That cut has a LOT of good things in it. Dry, raw, melodic, no cramping of layers.....your voice has presence...almost too pitch-correct to be true. An intellegent production and arrangement. I love the song. Unique...I hear blues, metal, punk, all sorts of stuff thrown into your own tastee version of the way things oughtta be.

A perfect alt/college FM playlist candidate. Catchy?? Oh yeah... Gonna go back and listen to more of your stuff..
Way to go. Wish I did it. Thanks for bringing it BTTT

Oops...nothing else there. D'OH!

ps...just curious...did you wake up one morning with this tune playing in your head? Doesn't sound like a contrived thing...more like a gift from the muse. The one quality , above all others that I like, is the 'edge' without slop and forced genuiness. That's a very rare and in-demand thing...of which I have little ability to craft in my own stuff. I have received messages from publishers begging for it before they'll consider representing me. I don't know how to make it...but I know it when I hear it. You got it.

Thanks for the kind words Jeff. It really means a lot to hear good things about a song!

Thanks,

-jD

I liked the song. Vocals are great. Drums could be a bit cleaner (being constructive here). Over all a home run.

(I am a drummer at heart so I am critical in that area)

Good song James!!!!
Man,I wish my vocals were this good, you've got a great voice! The only nit I have is the lead guitar needs to be a little louder, but I'm a guitar player, so it may just be me (I like 'em kinda loud!:D) Great job!!!

Very cool track, very punchy with great drums. Vocals are really interesting and sound great. If they weren't auto tuned (although I think I hear some artifacts, might be the MP3), you have really great pitch. And if they were tuned, so what? This is a record not a live gig, where I personally think any auto tuning is akin to lip synching. Thanks for turning us on to your music...

Thanks everyone!

Very cool track, very punchy with great drums. Vocals are really interesting and sound great. If they weren't auto tuned (although I think I hear some artifacts, might be the MP3), you have really great pitch. And if they were tuned, so what? This is a record not a live gig, where I personally think any auto tuning is akin to lip synching. Thanks for turning us on to your music...

You have a keen ear! I did use some melodyne on the chorus. I am with you as far as autotune goes especially when you go so far as to take all human sounds from the vocal line.

Good song James!!!!
Man,I wish my vocals were this good, you've got a great voice! The only nit I have is the lead guitar needs to be a little louder, but I'm a guitar player, so it may just be me (I like 'em kinda loud!:D) Great job!!!

Thanks man. I do plan to bring the lead up. This is still a young mix :).

I liked the song. Vocals are great. Drums could be a bit cleaner (being constructive here). Over all a home run.

Thanks for listening! Just to be clear do you mean the playing of the drums or the mix?

Thanks again!

-jD

Frickin fantastic! Very Teenage Fanclub opening, makes me jealous you can pull off that powerpop sound without it getting corny. I'm blown away.

Frickin fantastic! Very Teenage Fanclub opening, makes me jealous you can pull off that powerpop sound without it getting corny. I'm blown away.

I really appreciate it man! I wrote it when I was in an altered state of consciousness *cough* *cough* and didn't think too much of it at the time, until I showed my friend and he encouraged me to track it.

I kin what the cancers mean about TFC.
A very languid, liquid, melodic piece of work.
Joey's spot on about the need for the guitar balance - it's not crucial but would be very sweet icing!
My only quibble is with the solo - it's not at all bad & ends well but for the most part it seems to me to be, stylistically, in the wrong song.
I look forward to the developments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaintedDb

Thanks for listening! Just to be clear do you mean the playing of the drums or the mix?

Playing, esp in the fills.

I kin what the cancers mean about TFC.
A very languid, liquid, melodic piece of work.
Joey's spot on about the need for the guitar balance - it's not crucial but would be very sweet icing!
My only quibble is with the solo - it's not at all bad & ends well but for the most part it seems to me to be, stylistically, in the wrong song.
I look forward to the developments!

Thanks a lot for listening ray. I have been thinking about the solo and mostly it is there to make the final chorus stand apart just a bit. I'll do some soul searching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaintedDb

Playing, esp in the fills.

Ok Thanks again man. I will see what I can do for those fills.

Back