my NS10's need company -- help please!

lilcapn

i know there are lots of monitor threads, and there are plenty of good recommendations on monitors that would potentially work for me (<$800/pr, smallish) but i want to make sure i'm getting something that will be a good contrast/compare tool with the speakers i already have, which are NS-10's.

i thought about going the radio shack or auratone route, and may do that also, but i'd like a set of actually "good" monitors first, that will compliment my NS10's.

thanks for any help! i'll continue scouring other threads as well.

And just because I'm such a nice guy

I will gladly offer you a FREE burial service for them! No, really, I would dipose of them AT ABSOLUTLEY NO CHARGE TO YOU! That's just the kinda guy I am. :D

p.s.: I don't think it will be too hard to get a set that contrasts yours. And unless you're really going commercial, I don't get the need for the RS/Auratone route, but that's just me.
Pay no attention to me, just send me the speakers. ;)

i know i know

i've had the NS-10s since 1985 (they were my college dorm room speakers) and just have always spent my ltd resources elsewhere - pres, mics etc.

i know i need something else, but i don't think i'll kill these quite yet (i do know them quite well at least), just give 'em some company.

so...how about those fabulous suggestions?

thanks!

I just got pair of KRK RP8's and these are the best monitors for the money I've found. They're flat +/-1.5db all the way up and down and sound like silk. The cost only $500.00. Nothing under $1000.00 can touch them.

thanks!

checking out all these suggestions...

ADAMs unfortunately a bit out of my price range; BM6A's on the cusp of my range, could take the plunge, will check out the krk's also,

thanks again!

Krk

In my opinion, the KRK's will stand up very well when compared to the Mackies, the Events, Alesis monitors etc.... However, the Dynaudio's are a whole different story. Personally, I wouldn't compare the Dynaudio's to the others because I feel like they are a class above. They seem more at home with the Questeds, ADAM's, Genelecs etc....

Since the Dynaudio's cost about $800 a pair for the BM-6's, I would be really cautious in saying that the KRK's sound better than any others under $1000. Also, Quested, Truth and EMES also have nice monitors around $1000 a pair.

Instead of going with every-1's opinions here, why not go out an audtion a pair with your own EARS instead? Only YOU can determine what's best for you!

would love to

of course the best thing would be to audition every set of monitors in my price range, but let's face it -- that ain't gonna happen!

every time i'm in someone else's studio i listen to what they have, and i do as much research as i have time to, but where i live (NC) the only place that has multiple sets of studio monitors is a Guitar Center, and needless to say, they don't just happen to have even 10% of the ones i'm interested in (eg i called today -- "do you guys have the KRK RP8's in stock?" "yeah, we have one." not one pair, just one.)

so until Tasteful and Smart Music Supply Inc opens a store around here, i'm kinda relying on information gathering (like this thread, which has given me a great headstart i think) and listening to whatever monitors i can get near.

but thanks for all the monitor suggestions on here.

lilcapn said:
of course the best thing would be to audition every set of monitors in my price range, but let's face it -- that ain't gonna happen!

every time i'm in someone else's studio i listen to what they have, and i do as much research as i have time to, but where i live (NC) the only place that has multiple sets of studio monitors is a Guitar Center, and needless to say, they don't just happen to have even 10% of the ones i'm interested in (eg i called today -- "do you guys have the KRK RP8's in stock?" "yeah, we have one." not one pair, just one.)

so until Tasteful and Smart Music Supply Inc opens a store around here, i'm kinda relying on information gathering (like this thread, which has given me a great headstart i think) and listening to whatever monitors i can get near.

but thanks for all the monitor suggestions on here.

Oh!
Never mind.

you can get some used genelec 1030a for like grand on ebay. Not bad moniters either. I purchased a pair of 1031a for $2,100. I was looking at the adams, but this deal was to good to pass up. Ps good moniters as long as you don't blow them will last for 10-15 years +. I used to use a old pair of my moms moniters and the only reason they stopped working is because I blew them up from driving them past there average db level. So make sure to get some speakers with a higher average spl level then you play them at.

That is why I had to get the 1031a over the 1030a. Well besides the bass driver being larger, you can pump the 1031's at 80-90db forever since the peak level is 110db. The 1030a on the other hand stops near 100db, which means pumping at 80-90db is sorta pushing it. The 1031a also have a overload light, which I love never seeing it come on.

Well you can hear when you overdrive speakers, but not when you are starting out lol. To me it used to sound good, since it is natural distortion. Yet you can just use a tube preamp and get similar results without blowing your speakers!

The never ending discussion

Lilcapn, like the microphone discussion, the monitor discussion is eternal and it occurs to me that almost every engineer is recommending the monitors he/she has him/herself.

>>Can I suggest a mercy killing for those NS-10s, and getting yourself a *real* pair of monitors?!?<<

Not so long ago Bruce was raving about his B&W monitors, now he is blown away by the ADAM's :D

But, the NS10's are not that bad, although one has to learn how to use them, which isn't very easy, a decent sub can help a lot.

For the Genelec thingy, I've never liked them, IMHO the only decent Genelec nearfield is the old S30.

The ADAM S3A is a very nice sounding and detailed monitor, but quite expensive (IMO too expensive) and to be honest, I've got a pair of monitors that sound even better, EQ response from 17hz > 40 khz in an almost flat line from 25 to 20k. And the biggest joke is that I've paid no more that 300 euro for the pair. The detail on these speakers is incredible. There is one problem, they are very big, 104 x 50 x 43 cm

If you're on a tight budget, I strongly advise you to search for a pair of IMF Compact monitor 2's, which will cost you some $50 to $80 (pair). These are very detailed sounding transmission line speakers. http://www.imf-electronics.com/ note: the (color)images on the CM2 page are not right, the black and white image on top is the only right image.

See if you can find some, they're my secret weapon.

Han said:
Lilcapn, like the microphone discussion, the monitor discussion is eternal and it occurs to me that almost every engineer is recommending the monitors he/she has him/herself.

That's my point exactly!
You're gonna get many different opinions on this matter of which are all great suggestions, but if their is any way humanely possible go to your nearest music retail outfit(even if you have to travel out of your city, county etc) and judge with your OWN EARS!!!

Back