My mixes aren't sounding as loud and thick as professionally done songs?

Thank you. I second that vehemently.

Third. I've heard of doing this with double-tracking rhythm guitars, that doesn't seem too bad, but for the whole song? I don't know, doesn't sound like a good idea. I've started using limiters and I'm really liking the effect I'm getting. The tracks all sound quiet together, but the master track I slap some very light compression and a good limiter and I'm liking the sonud I've been getting.

Third. I've heard of doing this with double-tracking rhythm guitars, that doesn't seem too bad.

No, even for guitars recording the same part twice by actually playing it twice is generally the best way to go. Duplicating tracks doesn't accomplish any good.

No, even for guitars recording the same part twice by actually playing it twice is generally the best way to go. Duplicating tracks doesn't accomplish any good.
Ah, yeah I heard of it sort of like "You can do it, but it's not the best route" sort of way. Just to give it a stereo feel, where you have one track hard left and the one that's just a few milliseconds off hard right. I haven't recorded any rock/metal music in a while, but I usually just play it twice as tight as possible.

Here's a great tool(beside your ears) to make sure you are not over doing the master limiter. TT Dynamic Range Meter - Fight the Loudness War
Ah, thanks. That looks really useful. I'm going to look into it.

I made a video on this topic, but I can't post it here because I haven't made ten posts yet. Google for the title and you'll find it:

How to master a song loud - and, the price you pay

Or, maybe someone helpful could post the actual link for me ?

Ian

[Heads off to look for other threads to post in and increase his post count]

you need to copy the track, and shift the second track 15-20ms. This will make it sound thick and full. Also will give you contrast left to right.

No it won't. It will make the song sound slapped back and comb-filtered. It will also DESTABILIZE contrast to L and R. Haas effect trickery almost never works.

THIS IS BAD BAD BAD BAD ADVICE.

I fourth the motion that this is NEVER to be done.

Cheers :)

I guess no one likes my idea. I have found it to work great on my recordings. I can understand if you have money to invest in nice plug-ins but I have about 100$ in my studio. Here is my youtube channel. You can hear the effect on the guitars and I think it sounds fine. I even used it on the little solo in the middlde of the song.
Impossible.wmv - YouTube
solo is at 2:12

I guess no one likes my idea. I have found it to work great on my recordings. I can understand if you have money to invest in nice plug-ins but I have about 100$ in my studio. Here is my youtube channel. You can hear the effect on the guitars and I think it sounds fine. I even used it on the little solo in the middlde of the song.
Impossible.wmv - YouTube
solo is at 2:12

Two problems. First, the OP is asking about how to make his finished mix louder, not how to make a mono guitar sound wider. Second, using your method is okay until someone listens in mono, which will happen sooner or later. I already did and can confirm that the guitar tone changes noticeably. For that matter so does your vocal. Did you copy/pan/shift that also?

To get that wide sound without the phase problems doesn't require expensive plugins, just technique. Instead of copying the track just record it a second time (or more if you want) an pan as desired.

I made a video on this topic, but I can't post it here because I haven't made ten posts yet. Google for the title and you'll find it:

How to master a song loud - and, the price you pay

Or, maybe someone helpful could post the actual link for me ?

Ian

[Heads off to look for other threads to post in and increase his post count]

Cannot recommend Ian's advice or his blog enough. Fantastic stuff. Plus He's fighting the good fight on the "loudness wars"

I dont understand the loudness war at all. Songs like Tool's "The Patient" wouldnt be nearly as amazing with the huge contrasting volumes throughout the song. I talked to Brian Carlstrom who did all the old school Alice In Chains albums and he said it was a real tragedy that he ended up normalizing all those tracks. He said in his opinion, "Rooster" sounded a million times better when Laney Staley's voice crept up from real quiet to super loud when he sang "Here somes the rooSTER OH YEAH!!!!!"

seems like every time your sound wave is at its highest is when the "double kick" part is in... so i'd bring that part down in the mix a couple DB JUST during that part.. it will still be there and as long as it doesnt sonically change the song then you will get a few more DB RMS.

great thread, folks...

I suggest having a mastering house do the job becuz they should have the tuned room, you may not.

As far as getting ur mixes louder? I'd go with automation (riding the faders). Limiting is a generalization tool. Automation can be applied to individual tracks and controlled manually which will always be more accurate than a limitier, which willl just squash it. I put a thread on here concerning this topic entitled the who sound??? The who recordings sound SO much more loud than modern music. Check out the difference. We really are squashing the life out of music with modern recording techniques.

The who recordings sound SO much more loud than modern music.
Quite the opposite. Unless you really meant they only "sound" louder, then I'd agree possibly. But, in actuality, modern recordings are WAAAAYYYY louder than any Who recording.

Quite the opposite. Unless you really meant they only "sound" louder, then I'd agree possibly. But, in actuality, modern recordings are WAAAAYYYY louder than any Who recording.

IMO, sound is the only thing that matters. The Who recordings of WHo are you, join together or we wont get fooled again blow away any modern stuff. Maybe decibal wise, and level wise, the modern stuff is louder but play it through your studio monitors and just listen to the difference: the who sounds like ur at a concert. the modern stuff sounds like ur sitting in a control room listening to the tracks the band just recorded.

Technically, the modern stuff may MEASURE louder and I believe this is what you're referring to. But LISTENING to the two, even if you have to turn the who volume up to match the modern music volume level, when a loud part kicks in, it will b lows you out of your seat whereas the modern stuff, if oyu set the volume, that is generally as loud as the song will get from start to finish. This is mostly for radio and commercial purposes and it makes modern music blow, in my opinion. Im currently wanting to figure out how to get that in ur face sound the who recordings have.

Technically, the modern stuff may MEASURE louder and I believe this is what you're referring to..
Yes, that's all I'm referring to. I thought I made that abundantly clear. Relax. Nobody's disagreeing with you.

Back