my guitars sound way to bright

Jammer429

I have eq'd out any muddy sounding tones then I get a bright sound I cut out some high and mids but then the lows come back what am I doing wrong?

Short answer...you're eq'-ing too much.

Longer answer...you'll need to be a bit more specific on what you're looking for, and throwing a clip or two up here won't hurt, so that people can give you some better help than I just did.;) But I'd start with adjusting your guitar setup's tone before it ever hits the tape.

I have eq'd out any muddy sounding tones then I get a bright sound I cut out some high and mids but then the lows come back what am I doing wrong?

If you start out flat and then EQ out lows, mids, and highs, you are basically back to flat. One thing you can do to mellow out your sound is to change from steel to nickel strings.

Sounds to me like you need to work on mic positioning. You should be capturing your amp's tone and not have to make all of these adjustments to it. If it doesn't sound right when you record it, its just going to get worse the more you EQ it. Make sure that you listen to the amp through the mic and headphones, find a position that sounds good, and record that. "Fixing it in the mix" is a chore and basically a myth.

thanks for the replies I am short on time right now but later on today I will upload a raw track and the mixed track and I will break down exactly what I did

Turn off the EQ. Actually, turn off all your recording stuff, and make it sound right coming out of the amp. THEN, turn your recording stuff back on, and make it sound right by just moving the mic around. And I don't mean make it sound great. I mean make it sound right. As in, right for the track. Which may well sound like shit standing in the room. Remember, the goal isn't to have a great sounding guitar track, but a great sounding final mix. They two outcomes are frequently at cross purposes.

Only then, if you still need to tweak something small, can you mess with the EQ, but try to avoid it - it never makes actually things sound better. Well, almost never. Nine times out of ten, you'll spend an hour tweaking the EQ, and when you A/B it bypassed, it sounds better bypassed.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

By chance are you using a condenser mic on your amp? If so, ditch it and try a decent dynamic mic.

Where are you placing the mic? If you're pointing it directly at the center of the amp's speaker cone then you're likely to be disappointed with the result. Try moving it out towards the edge of the speaker, nearly right up against he amp's grille cloth, and angle it inward toward the center. This should cut down on the harshness. In any event, you'll need to experiment with mic placement to find what you like.

Lastly, what kind of room are you recording in? If it's a poor acoustic environment with lots of reflections then this can do all sorts of shitty things to your results (I learned this the hard way, of course).

Back