My Freaky Lawyer Part #2

TripleM

This is a song I put up about a year ago. The vocals (lead and backing) are retracked and the crunch guitars are retracked. Everything is remixed. If you remember (or even if you don't remember) RAMI played the drums on this. Well.

I think this is an improvement over the previous mix. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Mix #1
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By6vCmJVTZB4d1ZGYUVSSExCM1k/view?usp=sharing

Mix #2
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By6vCmJVTZB4Nnk1MUVkUGdSNjQ/view?usp=sharing

Mix #3
REMOVED

Mix #4
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By6vCmJVTZB4TURRVFljT2RqUnc/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
I remember the song, though not much about the mix. I do remember that you were singing way up at the top of your range on this song. It made my throat ache to hear it! I'm not getting that same feeling here. It's high, but it doesn't sound like your voice is on the verge of cracking, so without doing an A/B comparison I'm guessing the retracked vocal is an improvement. The rhythm guitars sound fine to me.

I think the mix is very good, sounds almost pro. The guitar and bass levels are perfect to my ears. The wide panned and double tracked guitars are creating a powerful rhythm sound while leaving a nice open space in the center. The lead vocal, harmony vox, the detailed parts of the overheads are coming through clearly in that space. Kick and snares are doing their job. I'm not as picky about snare sounds as some are, so I'll let others comment. It sounds fine to me. Nothing is harsh, nothing strikes me as too loud, nothing is masked. Sorry, but I'm finding it hard to nitpick. It's just a very clean, clear mix.

Thanks Robus. You remembered it correctly. It's surprisingly hard to sing. I had to wait until I was having a good day to get through the takes.

I appreciate the listen.

Sounds good, 3M. The vocal at the 30 second mark is a bit off pitch to my ear.
The rest sounds solid, if not a bit strained (doesn't bother me at all). I have no problems with the mix.

Yeah, this is ringing various bells.

I feel like the vocals are clearer than last time; I'm catching pretty much all the words on the first listen, but I don't remember most of them, suggesting I hadn't heard them in the first mix. :D

The drums are a little dull to my ears, especially the snare rolls.

Guitars and bass sound good.

Fun song. I don't know the previous version, but the piece and production reminds me of classic Squeeze meets Jane's Addiction :)

I feel like there is a good amount of space between the instruments, and I like the balance a lot.

As a suggestion for live performances of the song (please take with a grain of salt), you could always sing a lower melodic line, and have the highs part be a backup (female) singer. I've got a high voice, but since we have two women in the band we stack the harmonies that way all the time.

I do remember this one. The new vocal sounds a lot stronger than I recall from the original version. It's always good to have a rock solid bed of drums like that which Rami provides. New guitar performance is locked in nice and tight. I'm only on headphones but it all sounds great to me

Nola - thank you. I know there was a word somewhere in the intro that was close-to-bobbled. I'll check 30 seconds. I may have another take I can use to paste in a line.

PukeHat - thank you man. I'll take a listen to the snare. You're the second one to mention it. I can definitely get some more crack to the snare.

skwee - I'm glad you liked the tune. Squeeze and Jane's Add is quite a combination. I like weird.

Bullsy - good to hear from you. I always like your comments.

This is a song I put up about a year ago. The vocals (lead and backing) are retracked and the crunch guitars are retracked. Everything is remixed. If you remember (or even if you don't remember) RAMI played the drums on this.

Haha, as if you even need to say it! I'd know that snare anywhere.
I feel like RAMI would have had the snare popping a bit more, though. Maybe some room to brighten the kit up a bit overall?

I can't say I cared much for the intro. It felt a bit uncomfortable for me in range even thought the rest worked and it's no higher.
The chords over 'clouds' and 'gout' sound flubbed or unclear to me...Is that intentional?

Once it kicks in it sounds really cool.

The backing vocals throughout seemed a bit thick.
Admittedly, I tend to scoop them a lot so that might just be my preference coming through.
They sound great but I do think cutting out a little bit of their body might open up the mix a bit.

I never heard he first version, but this still sounds way out of the singer's range. That's the first thing that strikes me, which is not what you want.

Decent song, and good mix. Drums are a little wimpy, imo. Good harmony.

Thank you Steeno and Dachay.

I gave some presence boost and more compression to the snare. Mix #2 at the top.

Cool, sounds good.

If you're keen, try a few gentle cuts on the BV bus. Around 280-320hz and again around 400hz might be good starting points

Sure, I'm up. Mix #3 at the top.

I put in a notch cut at 280 and 400 hz. It little difference. But not huge. I boosted the BGVs a little too. Other than that, it's the same as mix #2.

Sure, I'm up. Mix #3 at the top.

I put in a notch cut at 280 and 400 hz. It little difference. But not huge. I boosted the BGVs a little too. Other than that, it's the same as mix #2.

IMO it should be huge. Maybe I was a little soft there. :p
To be blunt, the mix sounds great to me but the bvox sound really thick..just clouding everything.

I don't think anyone else mentioned it but I'd be seriously thinning them back.

Hi MMM

Had to check in on a lawyer song.

I'm guessing you mixed the bg vox on headphones maybe? They're the only negative issue in terms of level...or something. I don't know if you rolled all the lows out of them...they sound like they're not bg vocals. The "oohs" levels seem ok. And the level they're mixed at could work in a different kind of song...like folk, if they were single people. Anyway, good to hear you.

Steen-o - I just did a real quick EQ yesterday per your suggestions. I'll look at them a little more closely before I call this done.

chrisharris - do I know you from somewhere? :) Good to see you and thanks for the ears. How ya been?

Listened to mix 3.

haha I like this tune. Between this and Factory Joe I can see some consistency of style: Both songs have step down chords in the progressions and the progressions wrap around so to speak, catchy choruses, a very bright kinda major key feel, and great backing harmonies.

Steel string sounds nice and raw and real. Very nice start. The fuzz electric guitar is friendly. I like it. Rami is always good. Dude can play.

I can hear you battling the tune a little in the lead vocals. Them are some high pitches. I am jealous of your range. Mine is like a minor third lol.

On my monitors the bass is a bit boomy. Maybe could come down a couple DBs or compress more or try negative EQ around 60-100Hz, I dunno. The drum panning at the end seems a bit extreme. Sounds a bit unnatural to me. I guess it depends on what you are going for, but a song like this IMO should sound like a natural almost live type of performance, and panning drums wide takes away from that - that is to say I've never seen a drum set where one tom is 20 feet to the left of the other lol.

Maybe some room to brighten the kit up a bit overall?

First thing I thought was that the kit sounded a bit on the dull side. It's a great recording and mix, just could use a little shine somewhere, not sure where exactly...but perhaps the kit.

Ok. It's the kit. The snare roll near the end did it for me. :)

Great vox. I remember you straining last time. This sounds really good.

I waited for 5 seconds for the final bang... never came.

Back