My attempt at Townes Van Zandt's "Waiting Around to Die"

HeyHeyMyMy

Red Member
Thought I'd take a stab at this excellent Townes Van Zandt song. Any comments or suggestions would be great.

Thanks very much,
Paul

Note: the MP3 converter may have added a strange little subtle chorus effect in a couple of parts.

sounds pretty damn convincing. great song too.

don't really have any mixing advice.

If anything, it could use some chilly mando but only if you feel like you wanna get away from the solo guitar thing.

Yeah, I was thinking about putting some mandolin on it, but have yet to sit down and come up with a part.

Thanks for taking a listen.

You should play the Natal Day stage next Monday man, you'd blow them away.....

Not familiar with the original but this is great stuff. For just guitar and vocals you got a big fat full sound. Great voice and guitar tone....

:D:D:D:D

Beautifully done recording. Has a very close-up-in-the-room realism.

The verb sounds good, but I think it'd sound better if you automated it to shorten the tail on the phrase-ending words where the verb rings strongly. Only other thing I can hear is a single vocal plosive at :37, and it's minor.

Thanks for taking a listen, Timothy. Where would I go to read up on setting up that automation on the reverb?

Dunno what software you use, but I will say that Reaper makes it very easy to do automation of all types - effects, track volume... I think their online manual describes it. But it's so intuitive in the mix window controls that it's pretty easy to just stumble through it and experiment.

Back