MXL R144 - Ribbon Mic

dudernut

Hi everyone,

There's a closeout store near my work that has a new MXL R144 ribbon for $49.99. I currently have zero ribbon mics and zero experience with them. Would this be an ok introduction the world of ribbons? Is it worth the money? What would I find it best suited for?

I have plenty of condenser and dynamic mics, so I'm not looking for something that will sound great on anything I put it in front of...I would just like to have a couple of ribbon mics to add to my locker. They only have one at this store, so I'd likely purchase another from MF to have a matched pair. I primarily record rock (of various styles) and folksy stuff. I record full drum kits, acoustic stringed instruments, amped guitars, etc...so surely, it would come in handy from time to time, right?

I really wanted to like ribbon mics, though I had sufficient warnings from others that they weren't recommended for voice over. Over three years, I acquired a Cascade Fat Head, a Rode NTR, and a MJE-LR44 from Michael Joly. All three do what they are supposed to do, but I can get similar results in the lower end using EQ. A fellow on Youtube (with a voice like James Earl Jones) did a side-by-side with a Cascade Fat Head and a dynamic mic. The results were remarkable using Bose headphones, but not all that much different using the iPad speaker.

If you just want to dabble in a ribbon mic, go for it! You are using it for way more than just voice over. You may get some nice results. My two MXL condenser mics are nice for the price.

I bought an R-144 from one of MF's Deal of the Day for much same reason as too try a ribbon mic without spending a bunch of money. I've used it for vocals and not much else. Different sort of sound from other mics I have and not a mic I use a whole lot. For $50 it might be worth a try on instruments. I've been using a Fethead inline pre behind mine to give it a bit of a boost and it does seem to alter the tone slightly for the better. It has about the same output as an SM57.

imo ribbons are great for anything with harsh transients, so much more than just vocals. a problem with a lot of the cheap ribbon mics is they are chinese with bad components that result in harsh transients, kind of defeating the purpose of the ribbon. the only budget one i like is the one by nohypeaudio because he hand selects components and swaps out the junk.
ribbons have really low output (i think lower than a sm57?) and might require an inline preamp like a fethead or a good single channel preamp (60+ db of gain) to run properly, though the fethead will change the impedance and therefore the sound -- it will likely open it up more. ribbons are tricky, but they can sound awesome if matched with the right preamp and instrument.

Thanks everyone. I'll probably go ahead and snag it and try it out on some vocals and acoustic guitar....then depending on if I like it, I may or may not order its full price companion. I have a Cloudlifter for my SM7b, would this be good in-line preamp for the R144? Also, would the mic be recommended for aggressive vocals (think punk rock), or would I be better off using the SM7b? How about loud guitar amps? Could I damage the components trying it on such loud sources?

Thanks everyone. I'll probably go ahead and snag it and try it out on some vocals and acoustic guitar....then depending on if I like it, I may or may not order its full price companion. I have a Cloudlifter for my SM7b, would this be good in-line preamp for the R144? Also, would the mic be recommended for aggressive vocals (think punk rock), or would I be better off using the SM7b? How about loud guitar amps? Could I damage the components trying it on such loud sources?

the cloudlifter is also great and just like a fethead, only it has more cables you need to plug in, which makes it a bit of a pain. i like the fethead b/c it's fewer cables.

read up on the cloudlifter's impedance and how that will change the ribbon's curve. it will probably make the ribbon sound brighter and more modern, which isn't always desirable.

you can damage the ribbon if too much air hits it quickly, so plosives and things like that on vocals. a loud guitar could damage it, too. for punk vocals i'd use the sm7b over a ribbon. for a guitar amp, especially a bright one, a ribbon through a good preamp with a nice impedance match can sound awesome.

So I got it...not sure I'm impressed. But I only tried very brief tests with my voice and acoustic guitar. I feel like in the right context, it could be good for my vocals, possibly adding body (my voice is s bit thin). I actually have some recording to do with my wife tomorrow. I'll set this up for giggles and post some samples, prolly won't use it for our final takes though...anyway, it is a pretty mic.

image.jpeg

mxl_r.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Ribbons work great on female vocals.

They work great on a lot of things if you put in the time to understand them. I don't know about that one you bought, though...maybe it's cheap/Chinese and not good, and in that case you'd be best modding it.

The MXL R144 is a perfectly serviceable ribbon mic. I replace the transformers with on made by Cinemag from Geistnote. I also install a new ribbon as most I have found stretched from the factory. Also, the 2nd layer headbasket mod opens it up quite a bit. I leave the mesh on the ribbon motor for a bit of added protection.

This is a proper ribbon.
20160324_202738[1].jpg
This is a stretched ribbon.
20160324_200020[1].jpg

Ribbon mics sound very different to diaphragm mics, they take a while to get used to. I usually use mine on guitar cabs and somethings acoustic guitars when I am recording vocals at the same time (with another mic). I have recorded female vocals with them and they work well. I do own 2 x MXL R40 mics which are really the same as the R144, plus 2 x Fathead ribbons.

When you get used to ribbons you will find more uses for them.

Alan.

So I got it...not sure I'm impressed. But I only tried very brief tests with my voice and acoustic guitar. I feel like in the right context, it could be good for my vocals, possibly adding body (my voice is s bit thin). I actually have some recording to do with my wife tomorrow. I'll set this up for giggles and post some samples, prolly won't use it for our final takes though...anyway, it is a pretty mic.

View attachment 96530

View attachment 96532

Two recommendations if you want to use these on vocals: (1) You'll probably need more gain, so get a FetHead or Cloud Lifter. And (2) look into the various mods for the r144 and r40. At the very least you should check your ribbon tension and pull out the inner headbasket grille. Long-term I would also suggest upgrading the transformer.

I know this sounds like a PITA, but it's a fantastic mic that punches 3-4 times its weight with the mods.

Back