MXL 990 vs SP B1

Sunny

Hi there. I am just starting out on a budget. I want to buy a mic primarily for vocals and second (much less use) for acoustic guitar. My voice is a bluesy tenor with ability to do softer ballads as well. I have not found a store where I can try out any condenser mics.

My research has bought out 2 mics that fit my budget. Studio Project B1 and MXL 990. Anyone have any opinion on which one would fit my needs better? Also, is there a better mic for the same price?

Sunny said:
Hi there. I am just starting out on a budget. I want to buy a mic primarily for vocals and second (much less use) for acoustic guitar. My voice is a bluesy tenor with ability to do softer ballads as well. I have not found a store where I can try out any condenser mics.

My research has bought out 2 mics that fit my budget. Studio Project B1 and MXL 990. Anyone have any opinion on which one would fit my needs better? Also, is there a better mic for the same price?

Neither are popular for vocals, I like the B1 on guitar though. For cheap vocals look at AT3035 used, MXL V67G new. Don't expect either to sound good on guitar. I have fallen in love with dynamics again (thanks chessrock & chessparov) for people with less than ideal recording conditions they are a far better solution.

I've owned both... and I kind of agree with paddyponchero... anyway, if I could only choose between the B1 or 990, I'd take the B1. ;)

Last edited:
The 990 doesn't seem to be the most loved MXL mic. Sticking to the mics I have and know, the SE2200 is certainly a cut above the Behringer mics IMO, and paddy's right that there are some very good cheap dynamics to be had if you look hard enough.

For guitar cabs and vocals in particular, I've had great use from my USA-built Shure 545 (Unidyne III) and my Beyer Soundstar MkII (M400). It's been said - and I agree - that of those two the Beyer is more forgiving of cheaper pres. I've used my Shure on a £4k desk and it sounded very different to on anything I have at home.

Of course if I had to buy only one of those two mics (990 and B1) ... I don't think there's many people on here who would choose the 990. :)

noisedude said:
Of course if I had to buy only one of those two mics (990 and B1) ... I don't think there's many people on here who would choose the 990. :)

I think it's important to have both Large diaphragm and small diaphragm mics, so it probably depends more on what you already have.

For the money, I think the 990 is all-around a better value. It's a really nice-sounding and useful SDC for like 50 bucks. :D And it looks pretty nice -- don't diss it. But I don't really see where you compare the two. Don't see the connection. Why don't you compare the B-1 to an MC-012? Those are at least closer in price.

I don't know much about any of the MXL mics cos we don't have them over here, so just going on my vague impressions ... course I could be remembering all wrong ;)

:confused: Can you elaborate. I thought that the 990 and B1 were large diaphragm condensers and therefore had the same application.

chessrock said:
I think it's important to have both Large diaphragm and small diaphragm mics, so it probably depends more on what you already have.

For the money, I think the 990 is all-around a better value. It's a really nice-sounding and useful SDC for like 50 bucks. :D And it looks pretty nice -- don't diss it. But I don't really see where you compare the two. Don't see the connection. Why don't you compare the B-1 to an MC-012? Those are at least closer in price.

The university where I teach bought 990's for a bunch of the faculty to keep in their studios to record lessons with students. I was prepared to hate mine based on what I read here on this forum. What I have since discovered is that most of the people who are dissing them don't have any direct experience with them or are just turning up thier noses at anything chinese. For what it's worth, I think the one I happened to end up with is a fine mic for what I need at the office: it's got a good strong signal, a pretty wide pattern, and is a hell of a lot more open and detailed than I would have expected for $50. Is it the be-all and end-all of mics? Nope. Is it as good as a $2000 mic? Not for most applications. But it doesn't suck by a long shot, and for $50, waddaya want?

I also have a B1 at home, and it's a nice mic for what it does as well. I like it for upright jazz bass, especially when you are able to isolate the signal from bleedthrough. Again, don't listen to the naysayers unless they've tried the actual model of which they speak. Both are decent mics for the money. And considering the money ain't much (especially for the MXL), you don't stand to lose too much if you try it. If you're just starting out, you'll have plenty to learn about mic placement, room treatment, signal strength, etc. before you reach the "headroom" of these mics - in other words, they'll make good learning tools, and when we're just starting out, most of us have plenty to learn about what we're doing before we have to worry about upgrading our tools. A lot of the GAS you hear about from beginners is often just people wishing/hoping that some new piece of gear will compensate for their (our) lack of experience with recording technique. At this price point, order either mic, and get recording. Good luck!

OneRoomStudios said:
Chessrock was wrong (probably the only time I'll be able to difinitively say that), he probably confused the 990 with the 991. The 990 is a cheap LDC, and not a great one. Some people like it on some stuff, but not too much. The B1 isn't the holy grail of mics or anything, but it is a step above the 990.

If I were you, and needed one mic for guitar and vocals, I woud strongly consider the dynamics others have suggested. There's a much better chance of finding a dynamic that will sound good on both vocals and guitar in your price range.

This has been covered many times, but: the 990 has a 20mm diaphragm, which is more in the small/medium category (same size as the 993 and 603s [reportedly the exact same capsule as the 603, actually]). A "true" LDC has a diaphragm >30mm/1". However, the way the 990s diaphragm is mounted makes it appear (and sound) more like a large diaphragm. You could do worse for $60, but it is not gold. It has surprised me on a few occasions with how nice it can sound on vocals and clean electric guitar parts.

For under $100, the 990, B1, & V67G are likely all acceptable choices in a condenser. They are not magic, but they get the job done.

I have owned the 990 for a couple weeks now and I thinks its a good mic. It's the best deal going for a home set up IMHO. Got the mic with case,shock mount, and another mount, along with an On Stage mic pac that had a boom tipod, nice heavy XLR cable, and a cheap mic, + they were throwing in a free AT pop filter. All for less than $90 from Musicians Friend. You can not beat that.

Great Post! Thank you! Now I can get the 990 or the SP B1 at the same price. Given that I cannot try either at these stores, which would you recommend I lunge at for vocals and acoustic guitar?

Chris F said:
The university where I teach bought 990's for a bunch of the faculty to keep in their studios to record lessons with students. I was prepared to hate mine based on what I read here on this forum. What I have since discovered is that most of the people who are dissing them don't have any direct experience with them or are just turning up thier noses at anything chinese. For what it's worth, I think the one I happened to end up with is a fine mic for what I need at the office: it's got a good strong signal, a pretty wide pattern, and is a hell of a lot more open and detailed than I would have expected for $50. Is it the be-all and end-all of mics? Nope. Is it as good as a $2000 mic? Not for most applications. But it doesn't suck by a long shot, and for $50, waddaya want?

I also have a B1 at home, and it's a nice mic for what it does as well. I like it for upright jazz bass, especially when you are able to isolate the signal from bleedthrough. Again, don't listen to the naysayers unless they've tried the actual model of which they speak. Both are decent mics for the money. And considering the money ain't much (especially for the MXL), you don't stand to lose too much if you try it. If you're just starting out, you'll have plenty to learn about mic placement, room treatment, signal strength, etc. before you reach the "headroom" of these mics - in other words, they'll make good learning tools, and when we're just starting out, most of us have plenty to learn about what we're doing before we have to worry about upgrading our tools. A lot of the GAS you hear about from beginners is often just people wishing/hoping that some new piece of gear will compensate for their (our) lack of experience with recording technique. At this price point, order either mic, and get recording. Good luck!

Sunny said:
Great Post! Thank you! Now I can get the 990 or the SP B1 at the same price. Given that I cannot try either at these stores, which would you recommend I lunge at for vocals and acoustic guitar?

I'd love to make a suggestion, but the truth is I've never used either for those purposes. I only record acoustic bass and piano with them. Sorry!

scrubs said:
This has been covered many times, but: the 990 has a 20mm diaphragm, which is more in the small/medium category (same size as the 993 and 603s [reportedly the exact same capsule as the 603, actually]). A "true" LDC has a diaphragm >30mm/1". However, the way the 990s diaphragm is mounted makes it appear (and sound) more like a large diaphragm.

DAMN! You're right, I totally forgot about that. I guess I owe Chess an apology....

Stupid technicalities....

Sunny said:
Neither would be my first choice... but, if I could only choose between the B1 and 990... I'd take the B1.

What kind of voice do you have?

grn said:
I like B1 for vocals over 990... actually I like B1 over Sm57/58 for my own voice... but that's just because my voice works well with it.

Thanks for the kind words Paddy.

FWIW the B1 could be used for a commerical release recording of my vocals pretty easily. Although it's a bright voice, the top end doesn't become edgy/harsh. It has a useful characteristic of "presence", kind of like a SM57.
Hence I think it would sound cool on modern rock style vocals particularly.

At an AES convention, a couple of years ago, I accidently became the SP
"spokes-model" (vocal-model?). A number of studio owners heard me trying their line out and would listen on a headphone to get a better idea about the mics.

Several were good singers BTW, and it was fun to trade places back and forth. They all agreed that the two best mics for yours truly were the B1 and T3. YMMV.

Other vocal mics, including the Studio Projects C1 (lesser extent C3),
Beyer M88, AKG 414 B/ULS, Rode NT1000, NT1-A, etc. are problematical.

Which is euphemistic for "too sibilant".:) Not that they can't sound excellent on someone else with a more neutral or dark toned voice.

Haven't tried the 990.

Chris

Back