MXL 3000 $99.99 - Buy or Burn?

bongolation

OK, so MF has these things for a hundred bucks "today only."

I can't find anything on them anywhere, not even on MXL's site. I'm expecting they are "a Musician's Friend exclusive" repackaging of something else, say a V67g maybe.

Whate are they, are they any good, are they worth $100 and are they any better than the unimpressive 990 I got for $25 at GC?

Thanks for any help!

Sorry I don't have a direct answer.

The V67g has a shorter body than that mic. But they do look very similar otherwise.
The specs are nearly identical, sounds like they might use the same capsule and electronics (based solely on the descriptions). The only real difference in the specs is it seems the 3000 has very slightly better noise characteristics.
Strangely, the 3000 is lighter. Maybe it doesn't have the all important brass body?

BTW The site says they are $199.

tarnationsauce2 said:
Sorry I don't have a direct answer.
Yeah, It's a real mystery; MF seems to have about a dozen MXLs that aren't on MXL's site. What's with that? :confused:

BTW The site says they are $199.
If you click this link before 2359 PST 24 January, it'll show the $99.99 price.

In my futile Googling of this microphone, I did find a reference to them being $70 some time back.

not bad. I've gotten a couple good deals from musician's friend like this. I don't have much use for this, and since it's not a popular model I can't resell it, or I would buy a few. Too bad it's not a more common brand/model. I'd say it's a crapshoot, but I figure you could return it if you didn't like it. Most likely better than other $99 LDC's anyway.

I've never heard this model, but I was looking at this mic when it went down to $199. I'm curious. Whaddya make of this:

"It has a transformer-coupled output that is very reminiscent of the circuit designs found in early British recording consoles."

Is this just bold salesmanship (BS) or is there something interesting about this mic circuit?

Looks like they're trying to pass off the V67 as a real microphone by changing the name, doubling the price, and then marking it off 50%.

Awesome.

Harvey Gerst said:
I love this quote from their review of the 3000:

"Minus: uni-directional means limited uses for vocals"

Excuse me? "Uni-directional" is just another name for "cardioid", so how does that limit its use for vocals?

I'm just throwing out my personal observations, but I've found that an omni pattern works well for intimate breathy background vocals. Also, I know one engineer who likes to be able to get the mic close without the proximity effect.

There are ways of doing all this with a cardioid, I'm sure. Like I said...these are just my observations.

Mindset said:
After reading the review, I came to the conclusion that they were smoking crack.
That's what I thought, too.

Negligible, incoherent review.

OK, so where are we with the MXL 3000? A big shrug? :confused:

schulteboy said:
"It has a transformer-coupled output that is very reminiscent of the circuit designs found in early British recording consoles."

Is this just bold salesmanship (BS) or is there something interesting about this mic circuit?
While it's puffery, it does establish that this thing at least has a transformer, unlike my $25 MXL 990.

Well, I must say you lot have been a great help. :rolleyes:

Wait! Wait! I see that it comes with "a rugged aluminum flight case and includes microphone mount"!

So, whatever it is, at least you could empty the case and have a extra-styling lunchbox, right?

Back