Musicians

Okay, you all win. Don't play note for note. Make the song yours. In fact, don't even sing the melody as written. Hell, just rewrite the whole song to your liking.

Wait. Hey, there's an idea. Write your own songs, just ditch the ol' bait and switch of being in a cover band and making it your own.

Trying to play like Larry Carlton is too hard anyway.

I like when I am playing a Fender Jag out of a Fender amp and people ask me to play some Zep lol. I don't care if it is note for note,
it ain't going to sound like LZ.

I'm kind of on the fence about the note for note thing mostly because very few bands play their own songs note for note live. At the same time, there are iconic parts of many songs that I would say should be played "faithfully" as close to the recording as possible when you are billed as a tribute artist or cover band.

IME most non musicians are perfectly fine with very close rather than note for note. For example: one of my coworkers listens to Spotify or one of the other "streaming" services and I cringe every time I hear these simulated tunes that they play to avoid paying the original artist. My coworker is sure that they are the same as he hears on the original recording and looks at me like I am a loon when I say , "Uh, that's not (insert famous band/musician here)."

I was at a family reunion and one of my cousins and I were talking about what was going on in life, etc. I talked about my "musical hobby" and made the point that since I wasn't getting paid for it I did not consider myself a musician. After listening for bit about some of the stuff I had going on, she looked me dead in the eye and simply said "You are a musician." IDK maybe. Perhaps it's one of those eye of the beholder things
Example, we played Money by Floyd. I learned the first 12 bars of the solo note for note and then just winged the rest. No one ever noticed the difference. We did Springstiens Born to Run and of course I copied it's signature line, but that was about it. I am not a parrot. You want a parrot, go get one.

You know someone who appreciates musicians that do not parrot the charts, Mozart. Well, I mean he's dead, but maybe he would if he wasn't?

If you're going to impersonate a Scotsman, you can get away with sounding Northern Irish or even Geordie......until a Scot hears you.
The moral of the story ~ don't let Scots into your audience ! :unsure:

What'sa matter, man? You feeling alright? You sick or something? You never want to argue anymore. I throw out a good opportunity for disagreement, nothing.

I'm worried about you, brother.
I've been sitting on a response but this was noted. Do you want me to agree with everyone on everything so you don't get mad at me? Or do you want me to express myself naturally and keep this sub interesting? It can't be both.

I've been sitting on a response but this was noted. Do you want me to agree with everyone on everything so you don't get mad at me? Or do you want me to express myself naturally and keep this sub interesting? It can't be both.

I just want you to be happy, and that everything is alright. Well, that's not just everything, but it's a good start. Keeping the board interesting would be a good addition.

Sitting on things, uncharacteristic. This is not a good sign, brother.

I don't get mad at you, man. I can't say it never happens, but I rarely get mad on this forum, at anybody. Emotion tends to cloud the head. For good or bad I have other vices that adequately suit that purpose. I'd tip one right now if given my choice, but it's a bit early and the wife would totally not dig it. Too much to do, yet bored. Being lazy, one might say. Others, avoidance behavior. Me? Probably the latter. I could just get it over with, head to a somewhat nearby town to visit friends and relations, maybe play some music. Get it over with, out of my system. If I tip one, I can't drive and will stay overnight. Given that, anything goes....except for getting done what needs to be done. I guess the question could be, what needs to be done. Of course I know the answer to that question, but....but.

I just want you to be happy, and that everything is alright. Well, that's not just everything, but it's a good start. Keeping the board interesting would be a good addition.

Sitting on things, uncharacteristic. This is not a good sign, brother.

I don't get mad at you, man. I can't say it never happens, but I rarely get mad on this forum, at anybody. Emotion tends to cloud the head. For good or bad I have other vices that adequately suit that purpose. I'd tip one right now if given my choice, but it's a bit early and the wife would totally not dig it. Too much to do, yet bored. Being lazy, one might say. Others, avoidance behavior. Me? Probably the latter. I could just get it over with, head to a somewhat nearby town to visit friends and relations, maybe play some music. Get it over with, out of my system. If I tip one, I can't drive and will stay overnight. Given that, anything goes....except for getting done what needs to be done. I guess the question could be, what needs to be done. Of course I know the answer to that question, but....but.
Can't say I am surprised that you managed to turn that response into a novel, but here we are. Great job!

Can't say I am surprised that you managed to turn that response into a novel, but here we are. Great job!

Yeah, I started to put a tl;dr label on it, but second thought told me it would make the post waaay too long. A redundancy, if you will.

That's all I got for this post. Surprise!

Back