Music or Business? (changing hats)

danico4not

I've been making beats for about four years now. I've made a couple hundred (about 600 or so). I owned a small time recording studio around my way and charged folks for awhile...but I'm trying to start SELLING records. I've been looking into discmakers and rainbo for duplication, but I keep hesitating to make the purchase. I haven't sold any records yet I just keep on creating...Am I obsessed? Should I start selling records or keep being a gearjunkie? I love making beats, but I think I'm creating too much. Anybody experience this problem when trying to "change hats"? What have you all experienced with this? Thanks...peace

I've kind of always been a jack of all trades type cat. I think it's good to change hats every now and then...it helps you learn more aspects of the business. If you keep creating and creating then that's a good thing. The only problem that can happen is if you spread yourself too thin to so anything. Don't spread yourself so thin that you lose interest in what you're doing.

I want to keep as many middlemen/companies out of my mix as possible. I learned how to do as many things as possible.

Music is a business, especially production. It's all about where your drive lies. Ultimately what do you want to do? Own/run a large recording studio, or be a producer with a smaller personal studio for your clients that record over your track. It sounds like your passion lies in production. If so, do that and let the beatz pay for your equipment. It's been my experience that these equipment junkies are always after the latest piece, but never take time to perfert their sound/style. I've been reading Scratch, and a lot of cats, that are already out there only use a couple basic pieces, and just be flippin' the hell out of 'em. And like dude before me said, let the beatz keep on stackin'. You can never have enuff.

Back