Music I like, what do you like??

I was really into these guys when they started to the national scene a few years ago and this tune is still one of their best. The tunes before and after just seem to lack staying power for the most part

A buddy of mine joined this Chicago blues-turned-roots-rock band in ‘14. They’ve been around since late ‘90s. A lot of unique stuff and their blues soul runs deep and true. Dance Me A Number is about a stripper and very gypsy-esque.

Saw the Moodie three times, once with an orchestra.
I almost did two separate times at Conner Prarie in Indianapolis but was in college and never made either 🙁
I started college 10!years past my HS senior year working on being the next Eddie Van Halen. Didn’t make it to Eddie level but made it far enough to be real and have a shitload of fun and experiences touring and showcasing

A buddy of mine joined this Chicago blues-turned-roots-rock band in ‘14. They’ve been around since late ‘90s. A lot of unique stuff and their blues soul runs deep and true. Dance Me A Number is about a stripper and very gypsy-esque.

If you watch the vid the camera pans out and reminds me of the ‘bass player’ thread I posted. To the right is Todd Bowers on bass ( he left a few years ago and new BO is great) but Todd was one of those light finger players (right hand) and if you watch he plays the instrument almost like a piano. Incredible BP. Mix is hard to hear in that particular clip but he was ALWAYS spot on live and in other live tour clips…perfect notes and places and style for every song.

Are we at page 100 yet DG?

I almost did two separate times at Conner Prarie in Indianapolis but was in college and never made either 🙁
I started college 10!years past my HS senior year working on being the next Eddie Van Halen. Didn’t make it to Eddie level but made it far enough to be real and have a shitload of fun and experiences touring and showcasing
When Van Halen came out I was already married with two kids. I could never get into it. It seemed to me to be aimed at sex starved teenagers, I was long past that and it didn't do anything for me. I did learn to play hot for teacher because I knew how much the wife hated it!

I was really into these guys when they started to the national scene a few years ago and this tune is still one of their best. The tunes before and after just seem to lack staying power for the most part

They’re definitely a great band with very talented individual players. I’ve followed them for a while. Not because I was in love with the band but because a friend of mine was working with them.

That said, I think they focus too much on image, production, and being ‘different and unique’ rather than songwriting. Good songs go a long way.
Just one man’s opinion

When Van Halen came out I was already married with two kids. I could never get into it. It seemed to me to be aimed at sex starved teenagers, I was long past that and it didn't do anything for me. I did learn to play hot for teacher because I knew how much the wife hated it!
🤣🤣 Always fun to annoy a wife.

I was in Jr high when VH I came out, had a bff with two older bros. That shit was perfect timing for me

Last edited:
They’re definitely a great band with very talented individual players. I’ve followed them for a while. Not because I was in love with the band but because a friend of mine was working with them.

That said, I think they focus too much on image, production, and being ‘different and unique’ rather than songwriting. Good songs go a long way.
Just one man’s opinion
Image goes a long way in the biz, maybe today more than ever. And Rival Sons are stellar individual personalities as players and styles, but end of the day most tunes just don’t have the staying power

Last edited:
Rock n Roll in particular lacks that Dark Side, VH I, Appetite for Destruction, Nevermind, kind of earth-shattering newness. Different world today and maybe that is long gone, but maybe there is something new and inspiring that is yet to be made. I kind of doubt it but you never know.
I sadistically, sarcastically and regretfully think the next big music breakthrough could be in AI…a first full original album, virtual band members, holographic live shows. and hype. 🙁

I like the Judas Priest version better (rare to like a cover better than a writer) but this is where it came from. Peter Green and original owner of the famous ‘greenie’ ‘59 LP with one pickup wired out of phase by Gary Moore of Thin Lizzy and now owned by Kirk Hammet. Even the custom shop recreations go for mid 5 figures. Ridiculous money for a guitar but this is where that rabbit hole began. Great fucking tune. I don’t know the history of how Peter came to own the guitar and that’s search-worthy but appreciate every guitar is different, same year, same, sequential serial numbers next in line, etc., and there is truth in snake oil. My best guitar is an ‘85 black LPC. It just sounds better than the other two LPs and ‘sings

Last edited:
Back