Music collaborations with our kids

TAE

All you have is now
60's guy mentioned in the Billie Eilish thread how she reminded him of his own daughters musical meanderings 20 years ago. I'm starting this thread for us parents to show off our family recordings.

I have 2 daughters and they both sing well. The older one is an extrovert and has no problem belting it...anywhere including singing the National Anthem at Dodgers stadium when she was 18. She's fearless. The younger one has great pipes and is an incredibly gifted artist but total a shrinking violet, do not put the spot light on her about her talents. Now running a children's program or a class , she's the boss. But ask her to do a solo singing, oh hell no. The older one has written several songs but only involved me in a few. In 2007 she gave me a Christmas gift of a song she wrote for me. Your little girl" which she had a friend record but wanted to redo with me.
As a Dad all I can say is damn, not worthy and overpaid.

So here's the original that we recorded together.

Attachments

• Your little girl.mp3
    2.8 MB
And about 6 years later I had to give my daughters hand in marriage We reworked it, melded some of daddy's lyrics to hers for the father daughter dance. We left em crying.
We threw the intro to "Always" at the beginning. It was one of my Mom's favorite song ..She had passed a few years earlier and the daughter and her were bread and butter close so as a wink to her we added it.

Attachments

• My Little Girl-.mp3
    3.9 MB
Last edited:
Nice @TAE. I didn't spawn any singers, though our daughter has a lovely voice, she has done really well on several musical ventures, but when the time came, put those down and "closed the door behind her," so to speak. Our son still pokes around on violin though and even decided to try mandolin a bit over a year and a half ago, which is what got me interested in that instrument. Here's a couple of our collaborations (SoundCloud links).
O Come Emmanuel (Dec 2012)
Bach Invention #1 (Oct 2022, half speed, a work-in-progress, to be resumed next month when he visits)

Nice @TAE. I didn't spawn any singers, though our daughter has a lovely voice, she has done really well on several musical ventures, but when the time came, put those down and "closed the door behind her," so to speak. Our son still pokes around on violin though and even decided to try mandolin a bit over a year and a half ago, which is what got me interested in that instrument. Here's a couple of our collaborations (SoundCloud links).
O Come Emmanuel (Dec 2012)
Bach Invention #1 (Oct 2022, half speed, a work-in-progress, to be resumed next month when he visits)
Awesome sauce Keith! I hope this thread grows wings and flies... Looking forward to hearing the kids of the parental Homewreckers here do their thing... The Gerg definitely had some awesome collabs with his family that he would post each year...

Very nice.
In my quest to sight read piano, I keep coming back to this one.
It is fugue like, which gives me great trouble. Playing shifted parts, one in each hand is not easy.
There is also a triplet version, for the adventurous.
All of Bach's Inventions are a chalenge, but they are some of my favourites.

Dude I think that sight reading is an embellishment of the truth. Its readable as a reference material. So you know what to play.

Focus is an important part of the game...divert their attention away from the instrument..to a page for instance..hahahha the teacher wins again.

Nobody is going to just read a book while they play..even if the book has notes in it.

They are faking it. Or already know the source material and the pages are quick reminders in place.

I left musical instruments lying all over the place. Saxophones, keyboards, flutes, violins, guitars, harmonicas, trumpet, etc. The kids never bothered
to pick up any of them?

I left musical instruments lying all over the place. Saxophones, keyboards, flutes, violins, guitars, harmonicas, trumpet, etc. The kids never bothered
to pick up any of them?
Never pushed lessons on either of mine and consequently they never took em...go figure...They both can dabble on the keys and make music. If the interest / passion isn't there why would we force it on them. Both my girls did the choir thing and were fortunate to have an incredible director who knew how to get them birds to sing.

Ol Judd has the mojo

60's guy mentioned in the Billie Eilish thread how she reminded him of his own daughters musical meanderings 20 years ago. I'm starting this thread for us parents to show off our family recordings.

I have 2 daughters and they both sing well. The older one is an extrovert and has no problem belting it...anywhere including singing the National Anthem at Dodgers stadium when she was 18. She's fearless. The younger one has great pipes and is an incredibly gifted artist but total a shrinking violet, do not put the spot light on her about her talents. Now running a children's program or a class , she's the boss. But ask her to do a solo singing, oh hell no. The older one has written several songs but only involved me in a few. In 2007 she gave me a Christmas gift of a song she wrote for me. Your little girl" which she had a friend record but wanted to redo with me.

Fantastic!!!!

I've made TONS of songs with my son Mike Jr. One of the first we did. He's on drums and half the keys.

Fricking MOST EXCELLENT! Damn that's some good tracking Track Rat! So cool that your son and you get to pull off recordings like this...Only nit pick on this particular recording is lack of reverb on the main vocals and that synth part in the beginning ( which sounded great) could have used a delay or verb.... Post more recordings Dude that's what this thread is for....

Fricking MOST EXCELLENT! Damn that's some good tracking Track Rat! So cool that your son and you get to pull off recordings like this...Only nit pick on this particular recording is lack of reverb on the main vocals and that synth part in the beginning ( which sounded great) could have used a delay or verb.... Post more recordings Dude that's what this thread is for....
The hand clap dubs were hilarious. Both of sitting with headphones waiting to que the claps. He's in Texas now with a family. I just sent him a Behringer 1820 and a ADA8000. Were gonna restart remotely except now were using his kids too

• Love
Reactions: TAE
I hope this thread grows wings and flies...
Get it and go
View attachment Get it and go.mp3One day while I was in the bath, my oldest son who, at the time was 8 or 9, came in and said that he and his little brother who was 5 or 6 had written this song. I was reading but I said well, OK, let's hear it then and he sang this ditty:

If you can't get it, leave it and forget it
If you can get it, get it and go !

I thought it sounded pretty cool so being the thieving magpie, I thought I'd make something of it and incorporate their bit and its melody into a song. Most of the song I wrote while doing deliveries and the opening bit I literally did as my friend on drums and I were warming up and decided to keep it in as it sounded odd. I really like the kids' chorus.

Post more recordings, that's what this thread is for....
Little Princess of Boast
View attachment 01 Little Princess of Boast.mp3
The lyrics of the opening verse came to me in a dream on Christmas morning 2019. In the dream, it was to a different tune but I woke up and thought it was so weird that I'd better write them down. Then I went back to sleep. It happened 3 more times and each time I woke up and wrote the words down. Later on, I wrote 4 more suitably daft verses and then I decided that I wasn't going to use the tune that was in the dream because it was a well known tune in Church circles and though it appealed to my strange sense of humour to have these words to a kids' song, I eventually arrived at my having my own melody that would be nonetheless simple and sound like it could be a well known tune. The "Middle 8" {I always call the middle parts the middle 8 !} came in the aftermath of the George Floyd murder. My sons fingerprints are all over the song. I secretly taped my older son talking on a holiday around 2008 and that's him opening the song. He also joins in on harmony vocals from verse 5 onwards and handclaps in the last verse as does my younger son. The younger one also plays the crazy trumpet parts in the middle 8. I wanted it rough and untamed and I certainly got that ! And my wife is sneezing in there somewhere.

That's something that I never will be able to experience. No kids here and already too old for this. No stomach too.

Dude, that’s SO cool!! I have two girls and the oldest just got married which is a mix of sad and happy, but moments like this are awesome as a dad! I’m teaching youngest (16) to play guitar now so I have a bit before a collab with her, but totally relate.

Never pushed lessons on either of mine and consequently they never took em...go figure...They both can dabble on the keys and make music. If the interest / passion isn't there why would we force it on them. Both my girls did the choir thing and were fortunate to have an incredible director who knew how to get them birds to sing.
I suggested, never pushed it. I never pushed much on them, never politics or religion. I figured when they grew to adults they would make up their own minds. Of course it was impossible to hide my political and spiritual persuasions from them for eighteen years and youth will follow by example, but I was careful to tell them to keep and open mind and it wasn't my way or the highway. I personally, never took a lesson, probably why I am maybe just above average. If it weren't for my singing and songwriting ability I probably would have been stuck in some pretty bad bands. I have been in some pretty bad bands but I don't think I was ever the weakest link, I could be wrong.

Reactions: TAE
Dude, that’s SO cool!! I have two girls and the oldest just got married which is a mix of sad and happy, but moments like this are awesome as a dad!
The second version we recorded for the Father Daighter dance....where I added lyrics to hers and sang along ..... tells the tale of the bittersweet of being a Dad.

From the first day you were born
God knows my hearts been torn
Knowing someday I must give you away

Little girls
Smiles curls
I could never of dreamed
Of the joy and happiness you would bring
We would sing and we would play
and every single day
I watched in wonder as you came to be

I remember bed time stories
Singing songs, watching you twirl