Museman and DaAxe Return...

Axe4Yahweh

Museman and Da Axe Return...

:cool:

OK Guys and Gals, this is almost a complete redo of this tune. Pete went back and redid all of his parts except the drums I believe. All of my parts are redone.

The Red Horse Ver 3.3:

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1352&alid=-1

I've left the old version up for comparison for those that haven't heard it or have forgtten.

Let us know whacha think.

CR ><>

Last edited:
I like this, but I think I like the bass sound better in the original...not sure why, though...I think it stood out more (but then again it may be my crappy speakers messing with me)

Real nice playing overall, though. I just like the bass better on the other one :)

You and Pete did a good job overall!

:)

Nice

The singing reminds me a bit of dire straits.
the guitar lead was very inspired and the subject
matter is top notch.

I think you may need to define the vocal melody a bit more.

Good stuff

Re: Nice

HevyD47Ca said:

I agree with HevyD47Ca about that
- also, I don't like that snare; for me it sounds like midi (cheap)

Solid tune there + good guitar performance!

cheers

The mix sounds good. Real easy on the ears. Overall much better than the first one. The bass seemed to have a bit more bottom on the first one though. Why did you ditch the revreb on the vocal?

Twist

much better than the first imop.. who's doing what again? I know axe is singing, but who did the solo and how was the collab done? love the bass performance.. this collab worked out well.. any nits I have probably couldn't be helped.. nice job!

boydrj;

There were alot of things that I liked about the first version of this collab and none of it was mine LOL. If I remember correctly, there were several complaints about the Bass being either too loud or too booming. I think Pete was just trying to address this. I liked the way he did the Bass too.

HevyD47Ca;

The singing reminds me a bit of dire straits. the guitar lead was very inspired and the subject matter is top notch.

Thanks Bro! Glad you enjoyed it.

At 49, I'm just learning to sing. LOL I'm more of a Bullfrog than a Songbird. A little over a year ago, I couldn't carry the proverbial note in an equally proverbial bucket. Really!!! :D

groovejunkie;

I believe the drums were programmed from Pete's Yamaha DAW. They work.

Solid tune there + good guitar performance!

Glad ya enjoyed the tune overall.

twist;

Thanks for the comment on the mix. I addressed the Bass above. The reason for the reverb change? Several commented that they didn't like the sound of it on the last go around so, I went from a Hall Reverb to an Ambience Reverb and kicked it a little this time around.

Thanks for the Listens and Comments y'all. Keep em coming!

CR ><>

Cygnus X-1 said:
much better than the first imop.. who's doing what again? I know axe is singing, but who did the solo and how was the collab done? love the bass performance.. this collab worked out well.. any nits I have probably couldn't be helped.. nice job!
Sam;

Pete is doing Acoustic, one Electric Rythymn, Keys, Bass, and programmed the Drums. I did the Lead Intro and Solo, and the Vox.

Pete tracked the Rythymn Tracks on his Yamaha DAW and then took it to his puter for polishing. Uploaded them as a 48k/320KPS mp3. Anymore Tech/Equipment details on Pete's end will have to come from him.

I downloaded the mp3, converted it to a 48k Wav and imported it to n-Track on my PC. My Vox were done with a Behringer XM8500
Dynamic Mic into my new Behringer UB802 Mixer that I use for my Dedicated Solo Rig, Live. Guitars were done with my EBMM1 Axis into my V-AMP2 then into the UB802 into the PC. The Patch on the V-AMP2 was a custom JCM800 Model on steroids.

Thanks for the listen and comments!!!

CR ><>

Last edited:
Axe4Yahweh said:
boydrj;

There were alot of things that I liked about the first version of this collab and none of it was mine LOL. If I remember correctly, there were several complaints about the Bass being either too loud or too booming. I think Pete was just trying to address this. I liked the way he did the Bass too.

CR ><>

Hey Axe - Ya, I totally dug the playing itself...not sure why I like the mix better on the other one, but my guess is I was probably listening with fried ears or something...Anyway, when it comes to collabs, Pete is the man! :):D

Didn't hear the original, so nothing to compare to...

Good guitar sounds, both acoustic and lead - especially the lead. I'd suggest trying the solo a few more times (i should talk, after my self-indulgent shredfest), maybe think in terms of a melodic theme - you're not shredding, and I'm not hearing a structure - should probably be one or the other (or both!!! hard to do though...).

Your voice works for this song. I'm having trouble with the phrasing, though - lots of really short phrases with big breaths in between - sounds like you're short on oxygen or something...:D That kind of phrasing can work when you're stringing together random thoughts and abstract imagery - but you're working with complete sentences here, no matter how abstract Revelations is.

It wouldn't take a complete rewrite to fix, just loosen up your phrasing some more - think in terms of expressing the idea rather than having the notes fall in predetermined slots. That would NOT be true if this were for a congregation to sing, of course, but I'm guessing this is designed to be a solo piece.

Jury's stilll out on the drums for me - I thought the sound was good, and I mostly liked what I heard, but they maybe coulda spent a little more time in the pocket. And the vibraslap (I think?) at the beginning didn't work for me at all.

Hats off for daring a shot at a Revelations song at all. I've written a boatload of church songs, but I stay the heck away from Revelations.

Good job over all. My bad for accentuating the negative...

Daf

boydrj said:
Hey Axe - Ya, I totally dug the playing itself...not sure why I like the mix better on the other one, but my guess is I was probably listening with fried ears or something...Anyway, when it comes to collabs, Pete is the man! :):D

RJ;

I like that first version so much that I'm still using it as the Backing Track for my solo Suthuhn Rawk Gigs.

:D

CR ><>

Axe,
I didn't re-listen to ver.1, but from what I remember.... lessee... I DON'T HAVE THE LYRICS handy... uhumm, I know you're busy and all.... all kidding aside, I think this version is a little smoother and it sounds like you spruced up the guits a bit. Outstanding piece of writing my brutha. I DO still want to cover this!

bd

dafduc said:
Didn't hear the original, so nothing to compare to...

Good guitar sounds, both acoustic and lead - especially the lead. I'd suggest trying the solo a few more times (i should talk, after my self-indulgent shredfest), maybe think in terms of a melodic theme - you're not shredding, and I'm not hearing a structure - should probably be one or the other (or both!!! hard to do though...).

Your voice works for this song. I'm having trouble with the phrasing, though - lots of really short phrases with big breaths in between - sounds like you're short on oxygen or something...:D That kind of phrasing can work when you're stringing together random thoughts and abstract imagery - but you're working with complete sentences here, no matter how abstract Revelations is.

It wouldn't take a complete rewrite to fix, just loosen up your phrasing some more - think in terms of expressing the idea rather than having the notes fall in predetermined slots. That would NOT be true if this were for a congregation to sing, of course, but I'm guessing this is designed to be a solo piece.

Jury's stilll out on the drums for me - I thought the sound was good, and I mostly liked what I heard, but they maybe coulda spent a little more time in the pocket. And the vibraslap (I think?) at the beginning didn't work for me at all.

Hats off for daring a shot at a Revelations song at all. I've written a boatload of church songs, but I stay the heck away from Revelations.

Good job over all. My bad for accentuating the negative...

Daf

Daf;

Of course there's no Shredding. I missed the 80's and 90's completely. LOL I'm an ol Blues Rocker from the 70's that God called back into music to give folks sumpin to think about. :D As a Bloooooooooozer, I work on feelings, not structure. The song is melodic but the message is heavy so the lead that I do to this tune is kind of couterpoint to the melody. That's the feeling that I get about the Lead and how I present it. It's full of emotion.

The tune is used Live at outreaches to give people something to think about. The Lyrics are a warning and the pauses are to give what was just said time to sink in a little. In the first, rough mix version of this that's still on my demo, I actually do sing more on it. I had a couple of bros comment on it by saying the the message is very important and people need to be able to better understand what you are saying. I took that to heart and you wouldn't believe how much better attention span from people I'm getting with it now with this tune in the outreaches.

As far as doing a tune with a Revelation theme, that's what I'm called to do. I write alot of prophetic/warning songs and witness/testimony tunes too. It's my ministry. I'm a musical evangelist and I thank God that I attend a church that has a heart for outreach. :)

Thanks alot for the listen and taking the time to comment! I appreciate it.

CR ><>

Axe4Yahweh said:
Anymore Tech/Equipment details on Pete's end will have to come from him.
I just pushed the little button that said "Encode",and it worked!:D

Actually,I got a new pre,so of course I had to go and retrack everything through it.
Still getting used to it I guess.

I really cut the bass,a fine line between too much and not enough.:eek:

I don't know what happened to the vibra on the openining,sounds like it distorted on me.
It was my Zoom 324.

Just wanted to say thanks very much for everyones comments,and thanks to Axe for doing this with me,You Da Man!:D

Pete

lotsa work been in this one since the first post. Its cleaner, parts are tighter. I like the B3 gluing its continuity. bass sounds good, I like a little fatter, but the touch was smooth. The cymbals sound kind like those from the blue jay kit, I use them but they can be a lil abrasive. Drums sounds were good especially the fills. I`m into a little fatter kick and snare too but this works. Guitar was really nice. Ambience sounded natural and warmer on the vox and guitar.

A cleaner recording than I've heard from you in the past, Axe. Nice job! It's cool to hear your singing voice, friend :) Nice 'verb on that, too.

The crash cymbal in the intro sounds artificial... and jarring (somewhat)... if there were a way to get some real drumming on this it would help the flow... (probably reiterating what others have already said) That seems like the most obvious next path of improvement for a recording like this -- drums. The clean, clear mix and recording is actually already there.

Who's soloing is that? Pete? Axe? very tasty.

The organ sounds are actually tasty in this context... they might sound "Casio" in another song... but they fit this one.

Good flavors. Nice creativity and musicianship. Thanks guys!

Chad

bdbdbuck said:
Axe,
I didn't re-listen to ver.1, but from what I remember.... lessee... I DON'T HAVE THE LYRICS handy... uhumm, I know you're busy and all.... all kidding aside, I think this version is a little smoother and it sounds like you spruced up the guits a bit. Outstanding piece of writing my brutha. I DO still want to cover this!

bd
BDBDBDBDBuck, I wondered where ya been dude! haven't seen ya on in awhile. I'll send ya the Lyrics, Bro! ASAP!!!

Thanks for the listen Bro!

CR ><>

muzeman said:
I just pushed the little button that said "Encode",and it worked!:D

Actually,I got a new pre,so of course I had to go and retrack everything through it.
Still getting used to it I guess.

I really cut the bass,a fine line between too much and not enough.:eek:

I don't know what happened to the vibra on the openining,sounds like it distorted on me.
It was my Zoom 324.

Just wanted to say thanks very much for everyones comments,and thanks to Axe for doing this with me,You Da Man!:D

Pete;

Bro, you took a rough Southern Rock Ballad of mine and made it into something special. It's been a peasure working with you on this.

CR ><>

Pete

Toki987 said:
lotsa work been in this one since the first post. Its cleaner, parts are tighter. I like the B3 gluing its continuity. bass sounds good, I like a little fatter, but the touch was smooth. The cymbals sound kind like those from the blue jay kit, I use them but they can be a lil abrasive. Drums sounds were good especially the fills. I`m into a little fatter kick and snare too but this works. Guitar was really nice. Ambience sounded natural and warmer on the vox and guitar.

Toki;

Thanks for the listen and comments, Bro! You've been there since the first rough mix and I appreciate it.

CR ><>

participant said:
A cleaner recording than I've heard from you in the past, Axe. Nice job! It's cool to hear your singing voice, friend :) Nice 'verb on that, too.

The crash cymbal in the intro sounds artificial... and jarring (somewhat)... if there were a way to get some real drumming on this it would help the flow... (probably reiterating what others have already said) That seems like the most obvious next path of improvement for a recording like this -- drums. The clean, clear mix and recording is actually already there.

Who's soloing is that? Pete? Axe? very tasty.

The organ sounds are actually tasty in this context... they might sound "Casio" in another song... but they fit this one.

Good flavors. Nice creativity and musicianship. Thanks guys!

Chad

Chad;

Thanks for the listen and those comments!

I'm doing the Solos on this one. IMHO, Pete did all the hard work on this though. :D

CR ><>

Back