Multiple Delta Soundcards. I need more "innies"!

SOUND DIAGNOSIS

I am using a M-audio Delta 66 omni studio and Adobe Audition 2.0 (using asio drivers) to record from a Kurzweil synth workstation (K2600X, that has 8 outputs.) Being that I only have 4 analog inputs in my Delta Omni to record simultaneously, I am needing 2 more mono inputs. (I am trying to record 6 channels of a drum program on my Kurzweil simultaneously, that is stereo toms and stereo cymbals (4 inputs), and mono kick and snare (the 2 additional tracks). I need the obvious flexibility of engineering individual drum component tracks. An external mixer (as one dood suggested) is NOT what is required here. LOL :cool:

I believe, from what M-audio tells me, that I can use another delta66 card (4x4 i/o) in tandem with the existing 66 card on board my puter (even using ASIO drivers). He mentioned something about an adaptor/connector to synch/bridge both cards. Is that needed?

Does this whole deal make sense to you? What would YOU do if you needed to have the ability to record 2 additional inputs simultaneously with the existing setup I have? Big thank you in advance! :D

RR

I believe from what I've read that all you have to do is install the 2nd sound card and in the m-audio control panel you have to select one as master and the other as slave. I don't think you need a connector to sync the two. Also I think you can have up to 4 m-audio sound cards installed together. I know this topic has come up before on here might wanna search some posts.

SOUND DIAGNOSIS said:
I am using a M-audio Delta 66 omni studio and Adobe Audition 2.0 (using asio drivers) to record from a Kurzweil synth workstation (K2600X, that has 8 outputs.) Being that I only have 4 analog inputs in my Delta Omni to record simultaneously, I am needing 2 more mono inputs. (I am trying to record 6 channels of a drum program on my Kurzweil simultaneously, that is stereo toms and stereo cymbals (4 inputs), and mono kick and snare (the 2 additional tracks). I need the obvious flexibility of engineering individual drum component tracks. An external mixer (as one dood suggested) is NOT what is required here. LOL :cool:

I believe, from what M-audio tells me, that I can use another delta66 card (4x4 i/o) in tandem with the existing 66 card on board my puter (even using ASIO drivers). He mentioned something about an adaptor/connector to synch/bridge both cards. Is that needed?

Does this whole deal make sense to you? What would YOU do if you needed to have the ability to record 2 additional inputs simultaneously with the existing setup I have? Big thank you in advance! :D

RR

This is precisely why I converted from the M-audio Audiophile 192 to the MOTU 8pre, now I have 8 innies and can slave multiples of them...

Thanks for responding. Budget restraints keep me from going to an entire new system, but I will make note of your comments. Appreciate the responses so far!

RR

You can have up to four delta cards in your system with no problems.
I am using two 1010s giving me 16 analog and 18 if you count the 2 spdifs. Works like a champ.

amra said:
You can have up to four delta cards in your system with no problems.
I am using two 1010s giving me 16 analog and 18 if you count the 2 spdifs. Works like a champ.

And you don't need to have them "connected" to synch em??

RR

SOUND DIAGNOSIS said:
And you don't need to have them "connected" to synch em??

RR

No they don't need to be physically connected. You just set the clock to "internal" in the delta control panel and underneath that, one needs to be set to single, and the other to multi card and in sync or however the wording is.

amra said:
No they don't need to be physically connected. You just set the clock to "internal" in the delta control panel and underneath that, one needs to be set to single, and the other to multi card and in sync or however the wording is.

Thanks. Much appreciated! :D

RR

...then there is the question about the additional breakout box that I would need. I have one for my Delta 66 Omni-studio. I wonder if I would have any control over the 4 additional innies in that same Delta control panel. :confused: The most important thing is just getting the 6 tracks recorded simultaneously... and the engineering/mixing will follow. Guess I better give M-audio a buzz about now. Thanks all!!

RR

SOUND DIAGNOSIS said:
...then there is the question about the additional breakout box that I would need. I have one for my Delta 66 Omni-studio. I wonder if I would have any control over the 4 additional innies in that same Delta control panel. :confused: The most important thing is just getting the 6 tracks recorded simultaneously... and the engineering/mixing will follow. Guess I better give M-audio a buzz about now. Thanks all!!

RR

The Delta control panel should take care of that for you. If it's anything like the 1010 panel, on the right side you should have 1, 2, 3, and 4 and whichever isn't installed, isn't selectable.

timthetortoise said:
The Delta control panel should take care of that for you. If it's anything like the 1010 panel, on the right side you should have 1, 2, 3, and 4 and whichever isn't installed, isn't selectable.

Thanks, Tim..makes sense. M-audio phone support was always decent...uh...that is until as of late. Geeze! I have tried at least 6 times in the past week...sometimes on hold for 45 minutes without any help. They are definitely sucking lately. :mad: What is going on over there??? Anybody venture a guess? :rolleyes:

RR

marshall409 said:
does anyone here mix deltas? like say a 44 and a 1010 together? can you do that?

Adam

I use a 2496 and a 1010LT together with no issues. Just plug em each in, and then install the one driver. The control panel has all the settings/routing.

VSpaceBoy said:
I use a 2496 and a 1010LT together with no issues. Just plug em each in, and then install the one driver. The control panel has all the settings/routing.

sweet thanks.

Adam

I had my 2496 and my 1010lt installed at the same time. It worked fine, i didn't have to do any setup, just hooked it up and was ready to go. I just had to set my I/O up in protools.

One thing though, are you tracking out something that is already sequenced? That's what i'm thinking after reading your post. Why don't you just midi sync it to your program of choice and make 2 passes. Unless your songs are very long, i wouldn't personally spend the extra cash on another card, unless you feel like you may expand even more. I did this with my MPC all the time. I'd track out two tracks at a time since i used spdif. That was a bit time consumming but recording twice wouldn't be bad at all.

I use a 44, a 66, and a 1010 together....silly, huh? I just kept upgrading and I kept all of them.

The Delta control panel will allow you to control the parameters for each card individually. Keep in mind that if you need zero latency input monitoring of two boxes at once you'll need to get creative. Unless you use up the spdif to connect one box to another you'll have a seperate monitor mix from each box. When I needed to, I connected them together with y plugs to my power amp...it worked. :D

talontsiawd said:
I had my 2496 and my 1010lt installed at the same time. It worked fine, i didn't have to do any setup, just hooked it up and was ready to go. I just had to set my I/O up in protools.

One thing though, are you tracking out something that is already sequenced? That's what i'm thinking after reading your post. Why don't you just midi sync it to your program of choice and make 2 passes. Unless your songs are very long, i wouldn't personally spend the extra cash on another card, unless you feel like you may expand even more. I did this with my MPC all the time. I'd track out two tracks at a time since i used spdif. That was a bit time consumming but recording twice wouldn't be bad at all.

wait....who are you talking to?

Adam

I be de' original poster, mon. Wasn't too sure who you were referreing to either! :D

Talont, actually these extra innies are needed for playing a drum program on my Kurzweil (2 stereo pairs and 2 mono outputs simultaneously) as to try to reflect a "spontaneous drum kit flow". I noticed that my drum tracks sound much better and natural by just cutting the track au' naturale, as opposed to placing a cymbal here, and a tom-roll there on subsequent passes.

Postscript:

M-Audio finally DID call back and suggested I get another 66 card (with the b-out box), and connect the 2 cards using the SPIDF connection for clock-synch.

RR

Back